Product Key Invalid, help!

wwwDavid

Product Key Invalid, help!
Hi,
I've had my computer since Jan last year, It came with XP Media center
edition, and in March last year I got my express upgrade of wndows vista
installed, I activated it, and all was fine, around a week ago, it started
asking for the key again, and when i typed it in it told me that it was
invalid!

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David
Rick Rogers

Re: Product Key Invalid, help!
Hi,

Invalid or "in use"? If the latter, just use the phone (re)activation
method.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"wwwDavid" <wwwDavid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've had my computer since Jan last year, It came with XP Media center
> edition, and in March last year I got my express upgrade of wndows vista
> installed, I activated it, and all was fine, around a week ago, it started
> asking for the key again, and when i typed it in it told me that it was
> invalid!
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> David

John Barnett MVP

Re: Product Key Invalid, help!
If it says 'invalid' then you may have typed the product key in wrongly. I
suspect that what it actually said was 'product key already in use.' If this
is the case follow the instruction on my website:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/product...ady_in_use.htm

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"wwwDavid" <wwwDavid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've had my computer since Jan last year, It came with XP Media center
> edition, and in March last year I got my express upgrade of wndows vista
> installed, I activated it, and all was fine, around a week ago, it started
> asking for the key again, and when i typed it in it told me that it was
> invalid!
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> David

cyrano

Re: Product Key Invalid, help!
I followed John Barnett's step by step advice on his link below and it worked
perfectly. Took about 5 minutes - saved me a bunch of searching and grief.
Thanks so much John.

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> If it says 'invalid' then you may have typed the product key in wrongly. I
> suspect that what it actually said was 'product key already in use.' If this
> is the case follow the instruction on my website:
> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/product...ady_in_use.htm

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "wwwDavid" <wwwDavid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I've had my computer since Jan last year, It came with XP Media center
> > edition, and in March last year I got my express upgrade of wndows vista
> > installed, I activated it, and all was fine, around a week ago, it started
> > asking for the key again, and when i typed it in it told me that it was
> > invalid!
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > David

John Barnett MVP

Re: Product Key Invalid, help!
You're Welcome!

"cyrano" <cyrano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I followed John Barnett's step by step advice on his link below and it
>worked
> perfectly. Took about 5 minutes - saved me a bunch of searching and grief.
> Thanks so much John.
>
> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> If it says 'invalid' then you may have typed the product key in wrongly.
>> suspect that what it actually said was 'product key already in use.' If
>> this
>> is the case follow the instruction on my website:
>> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/product...ady_in_use.htm

>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows - Shell/User
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
>> the
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>
>> "wwwDavid" <wwwDavid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > I've had my computer since Jan last year, It came with XP Media center
>> > edition, and in March last year I got my express upgrade of wndows
>> > vista
>> > installed, I activated it, and all was fine, around a week ago, it
>> > started
>> > asking for the key again, and when i typed it in it told me that it was
>> > invalid!
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > David

Plum

Re: Product Key Invalid, help!
Hi, I have the same problem as wwwDavid. Had Windows Home Vista Premium for
about 8 months and suddenly after starting it up it comes up with a screen
saying "The Windows Vista Home Premium product key you typed is invalid for
activation". First of all I didnt type one in, the screen just appeared
before vista loaded the desktop and the Vista was already loaded onto the
Lenovo laptop when i got it. Hopefully the original question and mine can be
answered.

Thankyou,
James

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> You're Welcome!

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "cyrano" <cyrano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I followed John Barnett's step by step advice on his link below and it
> >worked
> > perfectly. Took about 5 minutes - saved me a bunch of searching and grief.
> > Thanks so much John.
> >
> > "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> If it says 'invalid' then you may have typed the product key in wrongly.
> >> suspect that what it actually said was 'product key already in use.' If
> >> this
> >> is the case follow the instruction on my website:
> >> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/product...ady_in_use.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> --
> >> John Barnett MVP
> >> Associate Expert
> >> Windows - Shell/User
> >>
> >> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> >> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> >>
> >> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
> >> kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
> >> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> >> for
> >> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
> >> the
> >> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
> >> mail/post..

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Product Key Invalid, help!
Please see the following WGA forum thread that may be
applicable toward troubleshooting your issue:
http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/...5062&SiteID=25

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Plum" wrote:

Hi, I have the same problem as wwwDavid. Had Windows Home Vista Premium for
about 8 months and suddenly after starting it up it comes up with a screen
saying "The Windows Vista Home Premium product key you typed is invalid for
activation". First of all I didnt type one in, the screen just appeared
before vista loaded the desktop and the Vista was already loaded onto the
Lenovo laptop when i got it. Hopefully the original question and mine can be
answered.

Thankyou,
James

johnsonnn

RE: Product Key Invalid, help!
dear David
-- are you listining to me, try an other product key
thanks
tell me any else problem freely at my e-mail address