Keeping same XP Drive Letter Assignments after Vista install?

BarryB

Keeping same XP Drive Letter Assignments after Vista install?
Having a problem after installing Vista!

I have one hdd with 2 partitions:

C: Drive (XP Boot drive, Primary, Active) and D: Drive (Where Vista will go,
logical drive, non bootable)

Now, when I install Vista on the D: Partition and dual boot into Vista it
says it's now C: and my XP partition is now D:

I don't want that to happen! I want Vista as D: and my XP partition as C: so
I can share applications without having to have 2 copies installed, I just
re-install to C: and share it with XP!

I'm sure other people would like Vista to have the same drive letter
assignments as their other OS too when dual booting!

So, how can Vista be made to assign itself Letter D: during or after
installation?

Any help welcome!

Thanks!

BarryB
Norman Diamond

Re: Keeping same XP Drive Letter Assignments after Vista install?
In order to get this result, you have to initiate the Vista installation
during a running XP session instead of booting the Vista DVD.

"BarryB" <BarryB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Having a problem after installing Vista!
>
> I have one hdd with 2 partitions:
>
> C: Drive (XP Boot drive, Primary, Active) and D: Drive (Where Vista will
> go,
> logical drive, non bootable)
>
> Now, when I install Vista on the D: Partition and dual boot into Vista it
> says it's now C: and my XP partition is now D:
>
> I don't want that to happen! I want Vista as D: and my XP partition as C:
> so
> I can share applications without having to have 2 copies installed, I just
> re-install to C: and share it with XP!
>
> I'm sure other people would like Vista to have the same drive letter
> assignments as their other OS too when dual booting!
>
> So, how can Vista be made to assign itself Letter D: during or after
> installation?
>
> Any help welcome!
>
> Thanks!
>
> BarryB

Mick Murphy

RE: Keeping same XP Drive Letter Assignments after Vista install?
Vista always claims C:drive letter!
You can not alter it.

"BarryB" wrote:

> Having a problem after installing Vista!
>
> I have one hdd with 2 partitions:
>
> C: Drive (XP Boot drive, Primary, Active) and D: Drive (Where Vista will go,
> logical drive, non bootable)
>
> Now, when I install Vista on the D: Partition and dual boot into Vista it
> says it's now C: and my XP partition is now D:
>
> I don't want that to happen! I want Vista as D: and my XP partition as C: so
> I can share applications without having to have 2 copies installed, I just
> re-install to C: and share it with XP!
>
> I'm sure other people would like Vista to have the same drive letter
> assignments as their other OS too when dual booting!
>
> So, how can Vista be made to assign itself Letter D: during or after
> installation?
>
> Any help welcome!
>
> Thanks!
>
> BarryB

BarryB

Re: Keeping same XP Drive Letter Assignments after Vista install?
Thanks I'll try that, common sense isn't my speciality

I also found another way by 'forcing the issue'. Found an MS Article about
changing the MountedDevice @ http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223188

Did that and it breaks Vista as the registry looks on C:\, so used Reg
Crawler to force most C:\ references to D:\ and Vista then booted. Did an
Upgrade from within Vista at that point and that sorted the problem too as
Vista is now running as D: and XP drive is now C:

A lot messier but it worked!

BarryB