Error during Upgrade to Vista Premium from XP SP2

Howie

Error during Upgrade to Vista Premium from XP SP2
I am endeavouring to upgrade to Vista Home Premium from XP SP2.
During the installation process, 3. - Epanding Files is reached. After 1-2
%, the installation stops with the message :-
'windows installation cannot continue because a required driver could not be
installed'.
I have tried 3 times now with the same error, in exactly the same place.
There is no mention of what driver is problematic. Any advice please.
Malke

Re: Error during Upgrade to Vista Premium from XP SP2
Howie wrote:
> I am endeavouring to upgrade to Vista Home Premium from XP SP2.
> During the installation process, 3. - Epanding Files is reached. After 1-2
> %, the installation stops with the message :-
> 'windows installation cannot continue because a required driver could not be
> installed'.
> I have tried 3 times now with the same error, in exactly the same place.
> There is no mention of what driver is problematic. Any advice please.

Give the hardware specs of the computer you are trying to upgrade,
please. Is this a home-built/generic machine or an OEM (Dell, HP, etc.)
computer? If the latter, did you first go to the OEM's website to make
sure the computer can support Vista? Are you installing with no
peripherals attached (except keyboard/mouse, obviously)?

More information from you is needed.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
philo

"Howie" <Howie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am endeavouring to upgrade to Vista Home Premium from XP SP2.
> During the installation process, 3. - Epanding Files is reached. After 1-2
> %, the installation stops with the message :-
> 'windows installation cannot continue because a required driver could not

be
> installed'.
> I have tried 3 times now with the same error, in exactly the same place.
> There is no mention of what driver is problematic. Any advice please.

Then your hardware is not Vista ready.
Keep that machine with XP.

Howie

"Malke" wrote:

> Howie wrote:
> > I am endeavouring to upgrade to Vista Home Premium from XP SP2.
> > During the installation process, 3. - Epanding Files is reached. After 1-2
> > %, the installation stops with the message :-
> > 'windows installation cannot continue because a required driver could not be
> > installed'.
> > I have tried 3 times now with the same error, in exactly the same place.
> > There is no mention of what driver is problematic. Any advice please.

> Give the hardware specs of the computer you are trying to upgrade,
> please. Is this a home-built/generic machine or an OEM (Dell, HP, etc.)
> computer? If the latter, did you first go to the OEM's website to make
> sure the computer can support Vista? Are you installing with no
> peripherals attached (except keyboard/mouse, obviously)?
>
> More information from you is needed.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hardware :- PC Homebuilt
Motherboard:- ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
1.5GB Ram
160Gb HD
X1550 Sapphire 512MB Graphics card

an OLD SIIG AP10 SCSI Pro PCI adapter (could this be the problem) ?

PC / Software passed windows Vista Upgrade advisor.

mikeyhsd

Re: Error during Upgrade to Vista Premium from XP SP2
SPAM

blatant advertising disguised at assistance.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:uVLQKh6WIHA.1184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
Malke

Howie wrote:

> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> Howie wrote:
>>> I am endeavouring to upgrade to Vista Home Premium from XP SP2.
>>> During the installation process, 3. - Epanding Files is reached. After 1-2
>>> %, the installation stops with the message :-
>>> 'windows installation cannot continue because a required driver could not be
>>> installed'.
>>> I have tried 3 times now with the same error, in exactly the same place.
>>> There is no mention of what driver is problematic. Any advice please.

>> Give the hardware specs of the computer you are trying to upgrade,
>> please. Is this a home-built/generic machine or an OEM (Dell, HP, etc.)
>> computer? If the latter, did you first go to the OEM's website to make
>> sure the computer can support Vista? Are you installing with no
>> peripherals attached (except keyboard/mouse, obviously)?
>>
>> More information from you is needed.

> Hardware :- PC Homebuilt
> Motherboard:- ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
> 1.5GB Ram
> 160Gb HD
> X1550 Sapphire 512MB Graphics card
>
> an OLD SIIG AP10 SCSI Pro PCI adapter (could this be the problem) ?
>
> PC / Software passed windows Vista Upgrade advisor.

Thanks, Howie. The Vista Upgrade advisor is just that - only an advisor.
I would remove the SIIG adapter and see if that makes a difference. Make
sure you go to Asus's website for that particular motherboard *first* to
see if there are chipset drivers for Vista. If there are not, don't
install Vista using that board. Same goes for the ATI graphics card.
Make sure there are drivers first.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
gweedoh

Howie;580000 Wrote:
> "Malke" wrote:
> Hardware :- PC Homebuilt
> Motherboard:- ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
> 1.5GB Ram
> 160Gb HD
> X1550 Sapphire 512MB Graphics card
>
> an OLD SIIG AP10 SCSI Pro PCI adapter (could this be the problem) ?
>
> PC / Software passed windows Vista Upgrade advisor.

I have the same mobo and I too am getting the 'driver could not be
installed' error when trying to upgrade from XP SP2. I strongly suspect
the Sil3112 SATA/RAID device is what stops the upgrade installer. I
updated the nForce and 3112 drivers to the latest versions and disabled
all of the integrated peripherals in the BIOS to no avail. This mobo
doesn't give the option to disable the 3112.

For some reason, I don't get the option to manually install drivers for
the upgrade as described in the "Upgrade" section of this page:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install...ta_drivers.htm

Oddly, I've been able to do a clean install of Vista on this same
machine and didn't experience any problems. I really don't want to have
to re-install everything on this machine, so I can live with XP until I
upgrade the mobo.

--
gweedoh