Errors during new Vista install - BSOD, Error Codes and other erro

SDC

Errors during new Vista install - BSOD, Error Codes and other erro
(UPDATED INFORMATION AT BOTTOM OF POST!)

Forgive me, I am completely new to Vista. This is my first install and my
first look the the OS. The disc I am using is directly from Microsoft - it
is not a pirated, downloaded or otherwise shady copy. It is the 32 bit
edition.

I have just built a computer - Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 775 with a 2.44ghz quad
core, 4 gb of RAM (DDR2 PC2-8500), Creative X-Fi Fatality sound card, GeForce
8600 (512mb) video, WD 1.0 Terabyte HD, WD 500gb HD, Asus DVD-ROM,
WriteMaster DVD Multi Drive. You get the picture. All HD and optical drives
are SATA.

Anyway, upon attempting to install Vista on a clean hard drive (everything
is brand new out of the box), I either get to a point where there is an error
stating that the boot manager is missing or corrupt, or I can actually get to
the Windows Vista screen to install and get to the point where it is
expanding the files -- when this error occurs:

Windows cannot access the required file D:/Sources/Install.wim. Make sure
all files required for installation are available and restart the
application. Error code 0x800701E7

I have looked for the SATA drivers on the mobo disk and the only ones I have
found pertain to RAID, which I am not running. I want to use the 500gb drive
as the primary (windows and applications) and the terabyte drive as a data
drive.

What am I doing wrong? I don't see any place to format the drive like you
could in WinXP.

I have tried going to the computer repair module, then to the command prompt
and trying bcdedit as instructed in another forum. That only caused another
error: "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The system
cannot find the file specified".

Now, I have restarted the computer again and attempted to install Vista.
Instead of going to the Vista installation screen, I get a black screen with
an error message that goes something like this: "Windows failed to start. A
recent hardware or sofware change might be the cause. To fix the problem: 1)
Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer. 2) Choose
your language settings, and then click "next." 3) Click "Repair your
computer." If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator
or computer manufacturer for assistance.
File: \windows\system32\drivers\nvstor.sys
Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or
corrupt.

I have been through this same continuous loop about 10 times...a couple of
times the installation looks like it's going to work until I get to the
Expanding Files part of the vista install....then I get a BSOD about 12% of
the way through the expansion. The BSOD says IRQ_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO. The
only option I have at this point is restarting the computer -- AGAIN.

I have tried using the other optical drive and there is no difference. The
installation disc is clean and free of scratches.

I am at my wit's end! Installing an OS should not be this difficult...but
apparently I am either missing something or I have a flaky Vista disk.

Please advise!

Thanks.

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

RE: Errors during new Vista install - BSOD, Error Codes and other erro
With a brand-new self-assembled system I would start with the bare essentials:

- motherboard, keyboard, mouse
- 1 1GB memory module
- 1 hard disk (500 GB)
- 1 DVD-ROM
- 1 monitor on the mobo's built-in (VGA or DVI) port (if available)

Important:
- 1 floppy drive, internal or external on USB (adjust the BIOS setup to boot
from diskette)
- 1 diskette, bootable into DOS (Win 9x) with FDISK.EXE on it
OR
- 1 CD, bootable into DOS (Win 9x) with FDISK.EXE on it

Procedure:
- boot into DOS
- run FDISK.EXE and remove all partitions (WARNING! ALL existing data will
be erased)
(do NOT make new partitions, Vista will do that for you)
- remove ALL bootable media
- install Vista from its bootable DVD

If succesful
1. shut down AND POWER DOWN the computer (remove power cord)
2. install 1 single additional memory module
3. boot the computer

If succesful
1. shut down AND POWER DOWN the computer (remove power cord)
2. install a third memory module
3. start the computer

If succesfull
- repeat the previously described steps 1-3 for all remaining hardware
components, BUT ONLY ONE SINGLE COMPONENT AT A TIME.

If succesfull, from this point onward, you can shrink Vista's root partition
and organize the disks' unallocated space in however many partitions you like.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.
--
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
"It is dangerous to lean out!" [of Windows]