1st installation of Vista - error 0x800701E7 and boot manager miss

SDC

1st installation of Vista - error 0x800701E7 and boot manager miss
Forgive me, I am completely new to Vista. This is my first install and my
first look the the OE.

I have just built a computer - Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 775 with a 2.44ghz quad
core, 4 gb of RAM (DDR2 PC2-8500), Creative X-Fi Fatality sound card, GeForce
8600 (512mb) video, WD 1.0 Terabyte HD, WD 500gb HD, Asus DVD-ROM,
WriteMaster DVD Multi Drive. You get the picture. All HD and optical drives
are SATA.

Anyway, upon attempting to install Vista on a clean hard drive (everything
is brand new out of the box), I either get to a point where there is an error
stating that the boot manager is missing or corrupt, or I can actually get to
the Windows Vista screen to install and get to the point where it is
expanding the files -- when this error occurs:

Windows cannot access the required file D:/Sources/Install.wim. Make sure
all files required for installation are available and restart the
application. Error code 0x800701E7

I have looked for the SATA drivers on the mobo disk and the only ones I have
found pertain to RAID, which I am not running. I want to use the 500gb drive
as the primary (windows and applications) and the terabyte drive as a data
drive.

What am I doing wrong? I don't see any place to format the drive like you
could in WinXP.

I have tried going to the computer repair module, then to the command prompt
and trying bcdedit as instructed in another forum. That only caused another
error: "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The system
cannot find the file specified".

Installing an OS should not be this difficult...but apparently I am either
missing something or I have a flaky Vista disk.

Please advise!

Thanks.
philo

Re: 1st installation of Vista - error 0x800701E7 and boot manager miss

"SDC" <SDC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Forgive me, I am completely new to Vista. This is my first install and my
> first look the the OE.
>
> I have just built a computer - Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 775 with a 2.44ghz

quad
> core, 4 gb of RAM (DDR2 PC2-8500), Creative X-Fi Fatality sound card,

GeForce
> 8600 (512mb) video, WD 1.0 Terabyte HD, WD 500gb HD, Asus DVD-ROM,
> WriteMaster DVD Multi Drive. You get the picture. All HD and optical

drives
> are SATA.
>
> Anyway, upon attempting to install Vista on a clean hard drive (everything
> is brand new out of the box), I either get to a point where there is an

error
> stating that the boot manager is missing or corrupt, or I can actually get

> the Windows Vista screen to install and get to the point where it is
> expanding the files -- when this error occurs:
>
> Windows cannot access the required file D:/Sources/Install.wim. Make sure
> all files required for installation are available and restart the
> application. Error code 0x800701E7
>
> I have looked for the SATA drivers on the mobo disk and the only ones I

have
> found pertain to RAID, which I am not running. I want to use the 500gb

drive
> as the primary (windows and applications) and the terabyte drive as a data
> drive.
>
> What am I doing wrong? I don't see any place to format the drive like you
> could in WinXP.
>
> I have tried going to the computer repair module, then to the command

prompt
> and trying bcdedit as instructed in another forum. That only caused

another
> error: "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The system
> cannot find the file specified".
>
> Installing an OS should not be this difficult...but apparently I am either
> missing something or I have a flaky Vista disk.
>
> Please advise!
>
> Thanks.

You will need to load the SATA drivers at the beginning of the install when
asked.

Though they should be on the cd that came with your mobo...if they are not
then you will need to download them from the mfg's website

wordsworm

Re: 1st installation of Vista - error 0x800701E7 and boot manager miss

Vista 64, sans updates, won't work with 4GB of RAM. What a retarded
mistake MS made with that. FREE Linux 64 bit releases don't have this
problem. I came here with a manager issue as well, but I thought I could
throw in that one thing I know.

--
wordsworm
wordsworm's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/wordsworm.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Rick Rogers

Re: 1st installation of Vista - error 0x800701E7 and boot manager miss
Hi,

Vista x64 works fine with 4GB (and higher) of ram. What you may encounter
during setup is a known issue with some systems when all four memory slots
are filled (size of the sticks doesn't matter, it's having all slots full
that is the problem). By design, some motherboards alter memory timing and
this causes setup problems. In these cases simply remove two sticks and
reinstall them after setup comletes.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"wordsworm" <wordsworm.3iv7bc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Vista 64, sans updates, won't work with 4GB of RAM. What a retarded
> mistake MS made with that. FREE Linux 64 bit releases don't have this
> problem. I came here with a manager issue as well, but I thought I could
> throw in that one thing I know.
>

> --
> wordsworm
> wordsworm's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/wordsworm.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...all/896559.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

John Barnes

Re: 1st installation of Vista - error 0x800701E7 and boot manager miss
If you still have problems after Rick's advice, make sure SP1 is installed
if your DVD doesn't include it.