Diskeeper causes the Microsoft Management Console to stop working.

Paul (Bornival)

Diskeeper causes the Microsoft Management Console to stop working.
I have installed Diskeeper (2008, Vista Compatible) on a Sony Vaio TX5XN
Intel Core Solo CPU with 1.5 GB RAM running Vista business). I have the
following problem:

- when I click on the shortcut, Diskeeeper triggers the launching of the
Microsoft Management Console (MMC);
- then, the User Account Control (UAC) asks me to authorize the running of
MMC, which I do (I have administrator rights on my computer)
- then Diskeeper opens, BUT immediately thereafter, I get a message telling
me that MMC has stopped working, that Windows is checking for a solution to
the problem, but that it does not find it, and that it will close the program
and notify me if a solution is available ...
- then Diskeeper closes ...

I checked the followings (but to no avail)
- installing and running without any firewall or Antivirus programme: no
difference (always the same problem)
- opening the MMC and, from, there trying to run Diskeeper: MMC will
immediatly stop.

The Diskeeer technician suggested to disable UAC, whih I did (and rebooted
the machine) but this did not help.

He the suggested me to run the SystemFileChecker (sfc.exe /scannow) or to
delete/re-extract the possibly corrupt ntvdm files.

I have used "sfc /scannow" quite often and sucessfully with WinXP but
hesitate to do it for this VISTA machine because Vaio computers are sold with
a preinstalled VISTA WITHOUT CDs (the user must do a backup him-self). And
it is my experience with WinXP that "sfc /scannow" asks for the original CD...

Any suggestion ?

Paul (Bornival)

RE: Diskeeper causes the Microsoft Management Console to stop working.
Hi,

Eventually Diskeepr helpdesk instructed me to check whether digit grouping
was on (at regional and language selection). When I turned it on, Diskeeper
could start. When I turned i off again (no digit groupin) MCC crashed...
every time Diskeeper was launched.

Does anyone has an explanation ? Sloppy programming by Diskeeper engineers ?