RAID0 on Vista x64

[tridy]

RAID0 on Vista x64
Hello.

I have a question about RAID0 on Vista x64

1. After setting up hardware RAID0 via BIOS, during Vista setup after
combination of 2 on raid)?

2. Then, after windows setup has finished, should there be 2 or 1 drive
representing the RAID0?

Dwarf

RE: RAID0 on Vista x64
Hi [tridy],

When setting up RAID, ensure that you have the correct drivers ready to load
at the appropriate point during setup. Although the drivers may be on the
Vista disk, they may or may not install correctly from it. During setup, if
you need to provide your own drivers, a RAID array will be displayed as 2 or
more separate drives. After loading the correct driver (which may be supplied
on floppy, CD, or USB flash drive), these drives will be amalgamated and be
shown as 1 drive which you can partition and format in the normal way. After
Windows Vista has installed, the RAID0 array will be represented by 1 drive
with a total capacity of the sum of the individual drives. Note that for a
successful RAID array of any type ALL drives MUST be identical.
Dwarf

"[tridy]" wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have a question about RAID0 on Vista x64
>
> 1. After setting up hardware RAID0 via BIOS, during Vista setup after
> combination of 2 on raid)?
>
> 2. Then, after windows setup has finished, should there be 2 or 1 drive
> representing the RAID0?

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

RE: RAID0 on Vista x64
In my floortop computer (a full tower on wheels), I have 4 identical SATA 1
drives (80 GB eachs), in the BIOS configured as 2 pairs of RAID 0 drives,
partitioned as HDD0: C:, D:, E: and F: and HDD1: G: and H:, with XP Pro SP2
(32-bit) installed on C:. In other words, XP shows me only 2 hard disks and 6
partitions.

When installing Vista Business 32-bit (from an upgrade DVD) on F: (on RAID
pair 0) it didn't ask for any additional SATA or RAID drivers, it just
installed out-of-the-box. My system now works fine as a dual boot machine,
and the EXISTING XP PARTITIONS were RETAINED without any change, except for
modified bootloaders on C:. In other words, Vista also shows the same 2 hard
disks with the same 6 partitions XP does.

I don't see why Vista 64-bit would behave any differently.

Good luck ...
--
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
"It is dangerous to lean out!" [of Windows]

"[tridy]" wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have a question about RAID0 on Vista x64
>
> 1. After setting up hardware RAID0 via BIOS, during Vista setup after
> combination of 2 on raid)?
>
> 2. Then, after windows setup has finished, should there be 2 or 1 drive
> representing the RAID0?

tridy

Re: RAID0 on Vista x64

Hi.
I have figured it out somehow . When I setup RAID 0 with 2xHDs of 160
GB, during Vista Setup, it will still show 2 partitions. So, to really
make one drive out of 2, I needed to remove the 2nd partition of 160GB
and expand the first one to 320GB and then it started to look like one
drive which was my goal.

So when creating RAID 0, my mistake was that I thought that Vista Setup
saw 2 disks while it actually saw 1 disk with 2 partitions (that are in
reality 2 disks). I had to manually remove one partition and extend
another to make it look like 1 disk.

I hope it makes sence the way I described it.

have a nice day

--
tridy