Windows installer on Vista Home premium

conrobison

Windows installer on Vista Home premium
i can not get programs to install when they have been downloaded on the
Internet. They progress as far as the 'Windows Installer" and then it just
sits there and stalls out. I am trying to download and install both Itunes
and Acrobat 8.0 Professional. I have not been able to find any solutions on
the Internet so hope I can get some help here.
Rick Rogers

Re: Windows installer on Vista Home premium
Hi,

Have you disabled UAC? Certain applications will not install if it is not
running.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"conrobison" <conrobison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i can not get programs to install when they have been downloaded on the
> Internet. They progress as far as the 'Windows Installer" and then it
> just
> sits there and stalls out. I am trying to download and install both
> Itunes
> and Acrobat 8.0 Professional. I have not been able to find any solutions
> on
> the Internet so hope I can get some help here.

conrobison

Re: Windows installer on Vista Home premium
Not that I know of but how do I check that? Also, how do I enable it? I have
right clicked the program and checked run as administrator.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you disabled UAC? Certain applications will not install if it is not
> running.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "conrobison" <conrobison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i can not get programs to install when they have been downloaded on the
> > Internet. They progress as far as the 'Windows Installer" and then it
> > just
> > sits there and stalls out. I am trying to download and install both
> > Itunes
> > and Acrobat 8.0 Professional. I have not been able to find any solutions
> > on
> > the Internet so hope I can get some help here.

Rick Rogers

Re: Windows installer on Vista Home premium
Hi,

Likely you would know if you had disabled it, so that's probably not the
issue. Have you tried disabling your antivirus solution before installing?

--

> Not that I know of but how do I check that? Also, how do I enable it? I
> have
> right clicked the program and checked run as administrator.
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Have you disabled UAC? Certain applications will not install if it is not
>> running.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "conrobison" <conrobison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i can not get programs to install when they have been downloaded on the
>> > Internet. They progress as far as the 'Windows Installer" and then it
>> > just
>> > sits there and stalls out. I am trying to download and install both
>> > Itunes
>> > and Acrobat 8.0 Professional. I have not been able to find any
>> > solutions
>> > on
>> > the Internet so hope I can get some help here.

RobertB

Re: Windows installer on Vista Home premium
Hi Guys,

I have been having a similar problem. I just bought a new Dell Inspiron
531s which comes with Windows Vista Home Premium Edition. I have been able
to download some other packages successfully, but when I try to download
iTunes (current version is 7.6), Windows installer says that it is unable to
run the file because it either doesn't exist or isnt a valid Windows
Installer file. Based on the iTunes support pages I have validated that I
am running the 32-bit version of Vista and that the iTunes Setup file is also
the 32 bit version. I am running the install from my Administrator profile.
I have not disabled UAC (as far as I know). I can also confirm that the
full file was downloaded from iTunes ...

Neither of the on-line support pages (ITunes or Vista) seem to offer any
suggestions that are relevant to this problem.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Likely you would know if you had disabled it, so that's probably not the
> issue. Have you tried disabling your antivirus solution before installing?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "conrobison" <conrobison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Not that I know of but how do I check that? Also, how do I enable it? I
> > have
> > right clicked the program and checked run as administrator.
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Have you disabled UAC? Certain applications will not install if it is not
> >> running.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

That Guy

Re: Windows installer on Vista Home premium
download and save as to a directory, then open directory and right-click,
run as admin. Some times when you download to the temp folder the content is
blocked for security reasons.

"That Guy" wrote:

> download and save as to a directory, then open directory and right-click,
> run as admin. Some times when you download to the temp folder the content is
> blocked for security reasons.
>
> "RobertB" <RobertB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I have been having a similar problem. I just bought a new Dell Inspiron
> > 531s which comes with Windows Vista Home Premium Edition. I have been
> > able
> > to download some other packages successfully, but when I try to download
> > iTunes (current version is 7.6), Windows installer says that it is unable
> > run the file because it either doesn't exist or isnt a valid Windows
> > Installer file. Based on the iTunes support pages I have validated that
> > am running the 32-bit version of Vista and that the iTunes Setup file is
> > also
> > the 32 bit version. I am running the install from my Administrator
> > profile.
> > I have not disabled UAC (as far as I know). I can also confirm that the
> > full file was downloaded from iTunes ...
> >
> > Neither of the on-line support pages (ITunes or Vista) seem to offer any
> > suggestions that are relevant to this problem.
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Likely you would know if you had disabled it, so that's probably not the
> >> issue. Have you tried disabling your antivirus solution before
> >> installing?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "conrobison" <conrobison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I have not been at work till today so i couldn't check things out that had
been mentioned. i did download the itunes file to my desktop and then right
clicked and ran as administrator. Still stalls out when the install program
starts and just sits there. i have turned off my antivirus program as
suggested. Any other suggestions?
mrrdance

Re: Windows installer on Vista Home premium
I get the same error message as RobertB (the file doesn't exist or isn't a
valid Windows Installer file). Has anyone figured out how to work around
this? Thanks!

"conrobison" wrote:

> "That Guy" wrote:
>
> > download and save as to a directory, then open directory and right-click,
> > run as admin. Some times when you download to the temp folder the content is
> > blocked for security reasons.
> >
> > "RobertB" <RobertB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > I have been having a similar problem. I just bought a new Dell Inspiron
> > > 531s which comes with Windows Vista Home Premium Edition. I have been
> > > able
> > > to download some other packages successfully, but when I try to download
> > > iTunes (current version is 7.6), Windows installer says that it is unable
> > > run the file because it either doesn't exist or isnt a valid Windows
> > > Installer file. Based on the iTunes support pages I have validated that
> > > am running the 32-bit version of Vista and that the iTunes Setup file is
> > > also
> > > the 32 bit version. I am running the install from my Administrator
> > > profile.
> > > I have not disabled UAC (as far as I know). I can also confirm that the
> > > full file was downloaded from iTunes ...
> > >
> > > Neither of the on-line support pages (ITunes or Vista) seem to offer any
> > > suggestions that are relevant to this problem.

> I have not been at work till today so i couldn't check things out that had
> been mentioned. i did download the itunes file to my desktop and then right
> clicked and ran as administrator. Still stalls out when the install program
> starts and just sits there. i have turned off my antivirus program as
> suggested. Any other suggestions?

mrrdance

Re: Windows installer on Vista Home premium
PS I have already tried running as administrator and running the setup from
my desktop and from a CD. I have a brand new Sony Vaio laptop with no
previous versions of iTunes installed. I've removed any and all music
players that came installed on the computer.