Reinstalling Windows on an OEM PC

trm96

Reinstalling Windows on an OEM PC
I am planning to buy a new notebook with Vista Home Premium pre-installed on
it, but I really dont want to have all the software on the computer that the
factory installs on it. My question is I have a Vista Ultimate disk I bought
will I be able to use it to re-install vista on my notebook using the
product key located on the bottom of the computer?

I really hate the bloat-ware and trial-ware OEMs put on there computers...
David B.

Re: Reinstalling Windows on an OEM PC
The Home Premium license is likely OEM, if your Vista Ultimate is the retail
version and not the OEM then no, you won't be able to use it, if it's is OEM
as well, then it should work.

--

----

"trm96" <trm96@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am planning to buy a new notebook with Vista Home Premium pre-installed
>on
> it, but I really dont want to have all the software on the computer that
> the
> factory installs on it. My question is I have a Vista Ultimate disk I
> bought
> will I be able to use it to re-install vista on my notebook using the
> product key located on the bottom of the computer?
>
> I really hate the bloat-ware and trial-ware OEMs put on there computers...

trm96

Re: Reinstalling Windows on an OEM PC
Thanks for the info! Yes my Ultimate is the retail ver.

"David B." wrote:

> The Home Premium license is likely OEM, if your Vista Ultimate is the retail
> version and not the OEM then no, you won't be able to use it, if it's is OEM
> as well, then it should work.
>
> --
>
> ----
> __________________________________________________ _______________________________
>

> "trm96" <trm96@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am planning to buy a new notebook with Vista Home Premium pre-installed
> >on
> > it, but I really dont want to have all the software on the computer that
> > the
> > factory installs on it. My question is I have a Vista Ultimate disk I
> > bought
> > will I be able to use it to re-install vista on my notebook using the
> > product key located on the bottom of the computer?
> >
> > I really hate the bloat-ware and trial-ware OEMs put on there computers...

David B.

Re: Reinstalling Windows on an OEM PC
In that case you cannot do what you want to do.

--

----

> Thanks for the info! Yes my Ultimate is the retail ver.
>
> "David B." wrote:
>
>> The Home Premium license is likely OEM, if your Vista Ultimate is the
>> retail
>> version and not the OEM then no, you won't be able to use it, if it's is
>> OEM
>> as well, then it should work.
>>
>> --
>>
>> ----
>> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> __________________________________________________ _______________________________
>>

>> "trm96" <trm96@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am planning to buy a new notebook with Vista Home Premium
>> >pre-installed
>> >on
>> > it, but I really dont want to have all the software on the computer
>> > that
>> > the
>> > factory installs on it. My question is I have a Vista Ultimate disk I
>> > bought
>> > will I be able to use it to re-install vista on my notebook using the
>> > product key located on the bottom of the computer?
>> >
>> > I really hate the bloat-ware and trial-ware OEMs put on there
>> > computers...

Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]

Re: Reinstalling Windows on an OEM PC
The new machine should come with an OEM installation DVD that you can use. I
had the same concern as you when I got a new laptop, so I blew away what it
came with and reinstalled the OEM OS.

I believe it is legal for you to go for a cheaper OEM OS on your new machine
and overwrite it with your retail OS, as long as you reactivate it and
remove it from the old machine.

Paul

"David B." <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> In that case you cannot do what you want to do.
>
> --
>
> ----
> __________________________________________________ _______________________________
>

> "trm96" <trm96@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the info! Yes my Ultimate is the retail ver.
>>
>> "David B." wrote:
>>
>>> The Home Premium license is likely OEM, if your Vista Ultimate is the
>>> retail
>>> version and not the OEM then no, you won't be able to use it, if it's is
>>> OEM
>>> as well, then it should work.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> ----
>>> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>>> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>>> __________________________________________________ _______________________________

John Barnett MVP

Re: Reinstalling Windows on an OEM PC
The copy of Vista on your laptop will be OEM. As your copy of Vista is a
retail copy then you can reformat the drive and install your retail copy of
Vista Ultimate. You 'cannot', however use the product key from the base of
the laptop to install your bought copy of Vista Ultimate. The product key
defines which version of Vista is installed. However, there is nothing
stopping you removing Vista Premium completely and installing your copy of
Vista Ultimate. It would be wise, though, to check with the PC manufacturer
first just in case it affects your warranty.

I have recently purchased an E-Machine desktop with Vista premium and a hell
of a lot of 'bloated' software. The user guide advised me that, if I wanted
to reformat the drive, I should create a recovery disk which would include
drivers etc. I made the recovery disk, and immediately installed Vista
Ultimate - the installation of the new operating system allowing me to
delete the relevant partitions, reformat and repartition prior to installing
Vista Ultimate.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"trm96" <trm96@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am planning to buy a new notebook with Vista Home Premium pre-installed
>on
> it, but I really dont want to have all the software on the computer that
> the
> factory installs on it. My question is I have a Vista Ultimate disk I
> bought
> will I be able to use it to re-install vista on my notebook using the
> product key located on the bottom of the computer?
>
> I really hate the bloat-ware and trial-ware OEMs put on there computers...

trm96

Re: Reinstalling Windows on an OEM PC
Well you see I already am using my retail copy of Ultimate on an other
computer. I dont care about using Home Premium I just want to start freash
with none of the bloat.

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> The copy of Vista on your laptop will be OEM. As your copy of Vista is a
> retail copy then you can reformat the drive and install your retail copy of
> Vista Ultimate. You 'cannot', however use the product key from the base of
> the laptop to install your bought copy of Vista Ultimate. The product key
> defines which version of Vista is installed. However, there is nothing
> stopping you removing Vista Premium completely and installing your copy of
> Vista Ultimate. It would be wise, though, to check with the PC manufacturer
> first just in case it affects your warranty.
>
> I have recently purchased an E-Machine desktop with Vista premium and a hell
> of a lot of 'bloated' software. The user guide advised me that, if I wanted
> to reformat the drive, I should create a recovery disk which would include
> drivers etc. I made the recovery disk, and immediately installed Vista
> Ultimate - the installation of the new operating system allowing me to
> delete the relevant partitions, reformat and repartition prior to installing
> Vista Ultimate.

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "trm96" <trm96@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am planning to buy a new notebook with Vista Home Premium pre-installed
> >on
> > it, but I really dont want to have all the software on the computer that
> > the
> > factory installs on it. My question is I have a Vista Ultimate disk I
> > bought
> > will I be able to use it to re-install vista on my notebook using the
> > product key located on the bottom of the computer?
> >
> > I really hate the bloat-ware and trial-ware OEMs put on there computers...

John Barnett MVP

Re: Reinstalling Windows on an OEM PC
Then you need to buy a new copy of Vista Ultimate to run Ultimate on your
laptop too. As I explained The DVD does actually contain all versions of
Vista -From home right through to Ultimate. However, the product key number
decides which version is installed. The product key on the base of your
laptop will only ever install Vista Premium.

> Well you see I already am using my retail copy of Ultimate on an other
> computer. I dont care about using Home Premium I just want to start freash
> with none of the bloat.
>
> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> The copy of Vista on your laptop will be OEM. As your copy of Vista is a
>> retail copy then you can reformat the drive and install your retail copy
>> of
>> Vista Ultimate. You 'cannot', however use the product key from the base
>> of
>> the laptop to install your bought copy of Vista Ultimate. The product key
>> defines which version of Vista is installed. However, there is nothing
>> stopping you removing Vista Premium completely and installing your copy
>> of
>> Vista Ultimate. It would be wise, though, to check with the PC
>> manufacturer
>> first just in case it affects your warranty.
>>
>> I have recently purchased an E-Machine desktop with Vista premium and a
>> hell
>> of a lot of 'bloated' software. The user guide advised me that, if I
>> wanted
>> to reformat the drive, I should create a recovery disk which would
>> include
>> drivers etc. I made the recovery disk, and immediately installed Vista
>> Ultimate - the installation of the new operating system allowing me to
>> delete the relevant partitions, reformat and repartition prior to
>> installing
>> Vista Ultimate.

>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows - Shell/User
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
>> the
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>
>> "trm96" <trm96@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am planning to buy a new notebook with Vista Home Premium
>> >pre-installed
>> >on
>> > it, but I really dont want to have all the software on the computer
>> > that
>> > the
>> > factory installs on it. My question is I have a Vista Ultimate disk I
>> > bought
>> > will I be able to use it to re-install vista on my notebook using the
>> > product key located on the bottom of the computer?
>> >
>> > I really hate the bloat-ware and trial-ware OEMs put on there
>> > computers...

trm96

Re: Reinstalling Windows on an OEM PC
I dont want to run Ultimate on it. I know that the CD Key deturmens the
edition you are installing and that all the retail disks have the same
contents. Basicly I just wanted to know if i could use a retail disk to
install an oem ver of Vista, and the answer is no. So i will have to contact
the manufacture of the notebook to get an oem disk for it (if it does not
already come with one).

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> Then you need to buy a new copy of Vista Ultimate to run Ultimate on your
> laptop too. As I explained The DVD does actually contain all versions of
> Vista -From home right through to Ultimate. However, the product key number
> decides which version is installed. The product key on the base of your
> laptop will only ever install Vista Premium.

Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - SDK]

Re: Reinstalling Windows on an OEM PC
I have never seen a new computer that comes with OEM Windows that does not
include the physical media. I don't even know if that is consistent with the
OEM agreement, but it's certainly not good customer service.

Paul

news14DA7A4-0304-4E9F-801F-3DDA6C8718BF@microsoft.com...