Hard Drive Copy Problem

LenBum

Hard Drive Copy Problem
I'm upgrading my computer to a 500gb hard drive. I've tried copying the
Vista drive with 2 different programs but can't get the drive to boot. Here
is
my setup. I have 2 hard drives, one with Vista and the other with XP. I dual
boot using Vista Boot Pro 3.3. I copied the drive booting to XP and then
using Drive Image XML. The drive copies fine. I added this to the boot
options in Vista Boot 3.3 listing it as Vista#2. When I pick it to boot from
a series of error messages stating that windows can't verify the digital
signature on vital files in system32. This also occurred after I copied the
drive with Hdclone 3.2. I've looked through the readme files and can't find
anything on this problem. A Google search also came up with nothing. Any
help would be appreciated.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Hard Drive Copy Problem
"LenBum" <LenBum@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:5dSdnfy6Er67Ew3anZ2dnUVZ_jmdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> I'm upgrading my computer to a 500gb hard drive. I've tried copying the
> Vista drive with 2 different programs but can't get the drive to boot.
> Here is
> my setup. I have 2 hard drives, one with Vista and the other with XP. I
> dual
> boot using Vista Boot Pro 3.3. I copied the drive booting to XP and then
> using Drive Image XML. The drive copies fine. I added this to the boot
> options in Vista Boot 3.3 listing it as Vista#2. When I pick it to boot
> from
> a series of error messages stating that windows can't verify the digital
> signature on vital files in system32. This also occurred after I copied
> the
> drive with Hdclone 3.2. I've looked through the readme files and can't
> find
> anything on this problem. A Google search also came up with nothing. Any
> help would be appreciated.

If I were you, I would start out fresh with the 500gb drive and do clean
installs. Ultimately, you may find that the process of so doing takes way
less time than trying to clone either OS to the new drive..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

LenBum

Re: Hard Drive Copy Problem

"LenBum" <LenBum@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:5dSdnfy6Er67Ew3anZ2dnUVZ_jmdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> I'm upgrading my computer to a 500gb hard drive. I've tried copying the
> Vista drive with 2 different programs but can't get the drive to boot.
> Here is
> my setup. I have 2 hard drives, one with Vista and the other with XP. I
> dual
> boot using Vista Boot Pro 3.3. I copied the drive booting to XP and then
> using Drive Image XML. The drive copies fine. I added this to the boot
> options in Vista Boot 3.3 listing it as Vista#2. When I pick it to boot
> from
> a series of error messages stating that windows can't verify the digital
> signature on vital files in system32. This also occurred after I copied
> the
> drive with Hdclone 3.2. I've looked through the readme files and can't
> find
> anything on this problem. A Google search also came up with nothing. Any
> help would be appreciated.

You're probably right. I've formatted and reinstalled a hundred times. I was
curious as to how coping a hard drive would turn out. Thanks

yudaman

RE: Hard Drive Copy Problem
Try the software that came with the hard drive, and tell it to "Clone" the
drive. That way, it'll copy over the MBR, etc.

Don't buy Western Digital - I just had the fourth drive of theirs fail for
me in 6-7 years. Very bad. Buy Seagate, or even Maxtor.