installing vista on 2 other home computers

Mike

installing vista on 2 other home computers
I puchased a barebones computer from tiger direct and it came with vista home
premium, I have two other computers that my kids use and would like to
install vista on them as well. Can I use the same disc to install vista on
these other computers? Will I need different activation keys and will I have
to pay to get them.
Mick Murphy

RE: installing vista on 2 other home computers
You have to buy a licence for each installation of Vista.

Your computer probaby has an OEM copy of Vista, which is tied to THAT
computer for the life of that computer.

"Mike" wrote:

> I puchased a barebones computer from tiger direct and it came with vista home
> premium, I have two other computers that my kids use and would like to
> install vista on them as well. Can I use the same disc to install vista on
> these other computers? Will I need different activation keys and will I have
> to pay to get them.

Jack

Re: installing vista on 2 other home computers
barebones do not come with Windows OS!!!!
Jack

news73F363E-E758-46EF-9CF0-30164BB02278@microsoft.com...
>I puchased a barebones computer from tiger direct and it came with vista
>home
> premium, I have two other computers that my kids use and would like to
> install vista on them as well. Can I use the same disc to install vista on
> these other computers? Will I need different activation keys and will I
> have
> to pay to get them.

Bruce Chambers

Mike wrote:
> I puchased a barebones computer from tiger direct and it came with vista home
> premium, I have two other computers that my kids use and would like to
> install vista on them as well. Can I use the same disc to install vista on
> these other computers?

No. By your own description, you have an OEM license for Vista that
came with the computer. An OEM version must be sold with a piece of
hardware (normally a motherboard or hard drive, if not an entire PC) and
is _permanently_ bound to the first PC on which it's installed. An OEM
license, once installed, is not legally transferable to another computer
under _any_ circumstances. Further, the installation DVD is likely to
be BIOS-locked to the specific make/model motherboard and won't install
on any other.

> Will I need different activation keys and will I have
> to pay to get them.

Certainly. You need to purchase a separate Vista license for each
computer on which you install it.

Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one Vista license for each computer on which it
is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which Vista
licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows (up until
WinXP, that is) is that Microsoft has added a copy protection and
anti-theft mechanism, Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make
more difficult) multiple installations using a single license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.