Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Upgrading Programs on Vista Premium

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2008
NESPAR
 

Posts: n/a
Upgrading Programs on Vista Premium
I have a Sony VAIO that came with Vista Premium installed. I have installed a
few programs on it and have had varrying problems. My most recent problem is
having a "demo" version of a software which I then purchased and attempted to
apply the license to it. It says it has to reboot to make changes, but when
it restarts it is still in the demo mode. No changes made. By itself it would
seem that it is a problem with the software. But, I have another program
(Ikea Kitchen Builder 08) that when installed accesses removed and deleted
files from a previous install version of it as well (Ikea kitchen builder
07). Both of these programs install and work perfectly on Windows XP. But for
some stupid reason Vista doesn't allow these programs to successfuly install
themselves. Anyone have ideas?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2008
David B.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Upgrading Programs on Vista Premium
Visit the software mfg's website and see if there are any Vista patches or
issues.

--

----
Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
__________________________________________________ _______________________________


"NESPAR" <NESPAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9333FA54-A9F8-4AD5-888C-0D92B6EAD10B@microsoft.com...
>I have a Sony VAIO that came with Vista Premium installed. I have installed
>a
> few programs on it and have had varrying problems. My most recent problem
> is
> having a "demo" version of a software which I then purchased and attempted
> to
> apply the license to it. It says it has to reboot to make changes, but
> when
> it restarts it is still in the demo mode. No changes made. By itself it
> would
> seem that it is a problem with the software. But, I have another program
> (Ikea Kitchen Builder 08) that when installed accesses removed and deleted
> files from a previous install version of it as well (Ikea kitchen builder
> 07). Both of these programs install and work perfectly on Windows XP. But
> for
> some stupid reason Vista doesn't allow these programs to successfuly
> install
> themselves. Anyone have ideas?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2008
NESPAR
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Upgrading Programs on Vista Premium
After a week of dealing with the Software support company I have just found
the answer. It is the fault of Vista and it's insane level of protection.
Aparently the software contacts the manufacturers server with a unique
identifier code based on the machine you are installing it on (basically how
windows xp would verify it was being installed on only one machine) the
program would then create a file with the license information in the folder
of the program. When the program starts it accesses the file to confirm it is
a valid install.

The problem is, Windows Vista does not allow a program to complete this
function. I went to the directory where the file should be located and guess
what? It wasn't there. Vista does not allow it to creat a file. It doesn't
even prompt you to ask if it should be allowed to install a file. So, the new
question is, how do you toggle a switch somewhere to give yourself the access
to do so. I am the administrator account but you still don't have defaulted
privalges? Vista is a serious inconvenience. I am missing XP very much at
this point.

"David B." wrote:

> Visit the software mfg's website and see if there are any Vista patches or
> issues.
>
> --
>
> ----
> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> __________________________________________________ _______________________________
>
>
> "NESPAR" <NESPAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:9333FA54-A9F8-4AD5-888C-0D92B6EAD10B@microsoft.com...
> >I have a Sony VAIO that came with Vista Premium installed. I have installed
> >a
> > few programs on it and have had varrying problems. My most recent problem
> > is
> > having a "demo" version of a software which I then purchased and attempted
> > to
> > apply the license to it. It says it has to reboot to make changes, but
> > when
> > it restarts it is still in the demo mode. No changes made. By itself it
> > would
> > seem that it is a problem with the software. But, I have another program
> > (Ikea Kitchen Builder 08) that when installed accesses removed and deleted
> > files from a previous install version of it as well (Ikea kitchen builder
> > 07). Both of these programs install and work perfectly on Windows XP. But
> > for
> > some stupid reason Vista doesn't allow these programs to successfuly
> > install
> > themselves. Anyone have ideas?

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2008
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Upgrading Programs on Vista Premium
You will need to contact the program manufacturers for that
information.
Perhaps the programs have patches for Windows Vista.

If a 3rd party program is trying to do something prohibited by Windows
Vista, you should get a prompt unless you have changed some settings
from the default.

Have the manufacturers of these programs stated the particular
versions you have are Windows Vista compatible?
Ask if you already have not.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar


"NESPAR" <NESPAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CEA90CC6-1E57-4E6F-86CD-1095E0E78E5F@microsoft.com...
> After a week of dealing with the Software support company I have
> just found
> the answer. It is the fault of Vista and it's insane level of
> protection.
> Aparently the software contacts the manufacturers server with a
> unique
> identifier code based on the machine you are installing it on
> (basically how
> windows xp would verify it was being installed on only one machine)
> the
> program would then create a file with the license information in the
> folder
> of the program. When the program starts it accesses the file to
> confirm it is
> a valid install.
>
> The problem is, Windows Vista does not allow a program to complete
> this
> function. I went to the directory where the file should be located
> and guess
> what? It wasn't there. Vista does not allow it to creat a file. It
> doesn't
> even prompt you to ask if it should be allowed to install a file.
> So, the new
> question is, how do you toggle a switch somewhere to give yourself
> the access
> to do so. I am the administrator account but you still don't have
> defaulted
> privalges? Vista is a serious inconvenience. I am missing XP very
> much at
> this point.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2008
xiowan
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Upgrading Programs on Vista Premium
Hello NESPAR:
Here is a link to Microsoft's Vista Compatible Application Site you can
check before buying software to see if it's ready for Vista:

http://www.appreadiness.com/default.aspx

xiowan.......in tucson

"NESPAR" wrote:

> I have a Sony VAIO that came with Vista Premium installed. I have installed a
> few programs on it and have had varrying problems. My most recent problem is
> having a "demo" version of a software which I then purchased and attempted to
> apply the license to it. It says it has to reboot to make changes, but when
> it restarts it is still in the demo mode. No changes made. By itself it would
> seem that it is a problem with the software. But, I have another program
> (Ikea Kitchen Builder 08) that when installed accesses removed and deleted
> files from a previous install version of it as well (Ikea kitchen builder
> 07). Both of these programs install and work perfectly on Windows XP. But for
> some stupid reason Vista doesn't allow these programs to successfuly install
> themselves. Anyone have ideas?

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very slow after upgrading from XP to Home VIsta Premium Prasad microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 2 07-20-2007 01:30
Upgrading Vista Premium to Ultimate starflyer59 microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 0 06-22-2007 17:01
Upgrading Vista Business to Vista Enterprise Removed programs? Brian Drab microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 05-10-2007 02:29
problem upgrading from vista basic to premium =?Utf-8?B?a2Vs?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 04-04-2007 20:52
upgrading from XP media to Vista home premium John microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 01-09-2007 00:35




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:01.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120