Disabling Windows XP64 after Windows Vista Ultimate x64 install

David Manvell

Disabling Windows XP64 after Windows Vista Ultimate x64 install
I did have Windows XP64 install on a single SCSI drive on my Dell Precision
670 PC. I added a 2nd SCSI drive and installed Windows Vista Ultimate x64
onto it in a duel boot configuration.

Now that it appears to be running smoothly I want to format my Windows XP64
hard drive. The problem is the computer goes to that drive first and gives me
the prompt to choose which OS to boot from. If I format that drive I am
afraid I will not be able to boot into Windows Vista. Very sure this will
happen actually as I removed the 1st drive as a test and Windows Vista
refused to boot (No NTLOADER found).

How do I create a new NTLOADER on my Windows Vista Ultimate x64 installation
and point the computer to go to that one first.

peter

Re: Disabling Windows XP64 after Windows Vista Ultimate x64 install
Why do people do this?? they set up a dual boot and have no idea on how to
manage it nor how to undo it.

http://www.vistabootpro.org/
Why VistaBootPRO?
Chances are you're here because you're running Windows Vista and want to do
one of two things. Install a second OS or manage your boot configuration
without directly editing the BCDEdit file. As you likely now realize,
Windows Vista has made this task somewhat complicated for most users.
VistaBootPRO was developed to make changes to the Windows Vista Boot
Configuration Data (BCD) registry quickly and easily, doing the job in a
fraction of the time it would take using the alternative. The only other way
to edit the BCD is to use the command prompt application "bcdedit.exe,"
located in the Windows\system32 folder of Windows Vista, which requires
users to become familiar with the ins and outs of the bcdedit.exe switches
and options, leaving many frustrated users in its path. VistaBootPRO allows
users to easily and neatly organize their boot configuration entries from
within all flavors of Windows.

info on bcdedit......
http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

on the other hand inserting the Vista DVD and doing a startup repair might
also fix the problem
peter

"David Manvell" <DavidManvell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I did have Windows XP64 install on a single SCSI drive on my Dell
> Precision
> 670 PC. I added a 2nd SCSI drive and installed Windows Vista Ultimate x64
> onto it in a duel boot configuration.
>
> Now that it appears to be running smoothly I want to format my Windows
> XP64
> hard drive. The problem is the computer goes to that drive first and gives
> me
> the prompt to choose which OS to boot from. If I format that drive I am
> afraid I will not be able to boot into Windows Vista. Very sure this will
> happen actually as I removed the 1st drive as a test and Windows Vista
> refused to boot (No NTLOADER found).
>
> How do I create a new NTLOADER on my Windows Vista Ultimate x64
> installation
> and point the computer to go to that one first.

Rick Rogers

Re: Disabling Windows XP64 after Windows Vista Ultimate x64 install
Hi,

Boot into Vista, run diskmanager (diskmgmt.msc) and make sure the Vista
install volume is marked as "active". Then shutdown and remove (or just
temporarily unplug) the XP drive, boot up with the Vista disk and do a
startup repair. This will force it to write the bootloader to the remaining
drive. After reattaching the XP drive, then enter the system BIOS and make
sure the Vista disk is listed as the first loaded hard disk.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org