Vista dual boot

firpo 22

Vista dual boot
I have a computer that used to dual boot Win2k and XP, with xp being the OS
that had 4 family users. I got a new copy of Vista (full version, not just an
upgrade) and installed it in the partition that had Win2k. I have now tested
it and it seems to work very well on my computer, so rather than move all the
users settings and files over to Vista, I'd like to be lazy and just upgrade
XP and keep all the settings and files the way they are.

What will happen to my dual boot if I do that? Since it now gives me the
choice of "older version of Windows"(meaning XP) and "Vista", if I no longer
have an older version of windows, will it: 1) give me a choice between vista
and vista, or will it 2) disable the first Vista (I can live with that) or
worst of all, 3) will I not be able to get into either OS - which is my main
fear?

Thank you for your help.
peter

Re: Vista dual boot
1st use this to modify the MBR to point to only the XP installation
http://www.vistabootpro.org/
read the instructions.

then format the partition that Vista is on from within XP
then do an upgrade installation using your Vista DVD to the XP partition.
peter

"firpo 22" <firpo22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a computer that used to dual boot Win2k and XP, with xp being the
> OS
> that had 4 family users. I got a new copy of Vista (full version, not just
> an
> upgrade) and installed it in the partition that had Win2k. I have now
> tested
> it and it seems to work very well on my computer, so rather than move all
> the
> users settings and files over to Vista, I'd like to be lazy and just
> upgrade
> XP and keep all the settings and files the way they are.
>
> What will happen to my dual boot if I do that? Since it now gives me the
> choice of "older version of Windows"(meaning XP) and "Vista", if I no
> longer
> have an older version of windows, will it: 1) give me a choice between
> vista
> and vista, or will it 2) disable the first Vista (I can live with that)
> or
> worst of all, 3) will I not be able to get into either OS - which is my
> main
> fear?
>
> Thank you for your help.

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista dual boot
You can not have 2 running copies of Vista using the same Product Key.
Remember Activation!!!!!

Also, while clean install of Vista has gone well, a lot of peple have had
probs with Upgrades.
I would not risk screwing up your user accounts in XP by upgrading it to
Vista.