Ultimate Install Problems

Niick

Ultimate Install Problems

Hello,
I am trying to Install Windows Vista Ultimate OEM 32-bit on my new build
that I recently purchased. I have got to different stages and have had so
many errors that I have lost track. I have got the BSOD numerous times and to
be honest, I don't know why I decided to buy Vista.

I have got so far to the Hard drive drvers screen before I plugged in my USB
memory stick and it stopped responding. After that, I haven't go as far.
Sometimes I get a BSOD right after it has finished loading the files
explaining to me that it couldn't write to the memory because it was
read-protected. I haved also got to the language select screen but it doesn't
respond. I've even got as far as the regristration key input (again) and I
get a little pop-up box saying all sorts of errors. Is it my system which
isn't compatible? (BTW my Vista is legal)

Specs:

ASus Maximus Extreme
Intel Core 2 Duo Q6700
BFG nVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra
4GB OCZ DDR3 1333mhz RAM (only one stick used in installation)
2x WDC 500GB SATA II HDs in RAID0 (SATA ports 1 and 2)
Samsung and Pioneer DVD drives (SATA ports 4 and 6)
Thermaltake Toughpower 1200watt PSU

Hope that is all you need to know at this stage.
Rick Rogers

Re: Ultimate Install Problems
Hi,

You should have absolutely no peripherals other than a mouse and keyboard
attached until installation completes.

Have you tried to install any other OS? XP or any of the freely available
Linux iterations? This might help tell you if you have a hardware issue, or
a compatibility issue.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Niick" <Niick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
> I am trying to Install Windows Vista Ultimate OEM 32-bit on my new build
> that I recently purchased. I have got to different stages and have had so
> many errors that I have lost track. I have got the BSOD numerous times and
> be honest, I don't know why I decided to buy Vista.
>
> I have got so far to the Hard drive drvers screen before I plugged in my
> USB
> memory stick and it stopped responding. After that, I haven't go as far.
> Sometimes I get a BSOD right after it has finished loading the files
> explaining to me that it couldn't write to the memory because it was
> read-protected. I haved also got to the language select screen but it
> doesn't
> respond. I've even got as far as the regristration key input (again) and I
> get a little pop-up box saying all sorts of errors. Is it my system which
> isn't compatible? (BTW my Vista is legal)
>
> Specs:
>
> ASus Maximus Extreme
> Intel Core 2 Duo Q6700
> BFG nVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra
> 4GB OCZ DDR3 1333mhz RAM (only one stick used in installation)
> 2x WDC 500GB SATA II HDs in RAID0 (SATA ports 1 and 2)
> Samsung and Pioneer DVD drives (SATA ports 4 and 6)
> Thermaltake Toughpower 1200watt PSU
>
> Hope that is all you need to know at this stage.

Phillips

Re: Ultimate Install Problems
Try Repair Vista or just reinstall and load the SATA Raid drivers - should
be on the mobo CD or use a floppy. There should be forums for your mobo
where you can check. Also, use 2 sticks of RAM.
Michael

"Niick" <Niick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
> I am trying to Install Windows Vista Ultimate OEM 32-bit on my new build
> that I recently purchased. I have got to different stages and have had so
> many errors that I have lost track. I have got the BSOD numerous times and
> be honest, I don't know why I decided to buy Vista.
>
> I have got so far to the Hard drive drvers screen before I plugged in my
> USB
> memory stick and it stopped responding. After that, I haven't go as far.
> Sometimes I get a BSOD right after it has finished loading the files
> explaining to me that it couldn't write to the memory because it was
> read-protected. I haved also got to the language select screen but it
> doesn't
> respond. I've even got as far as the regristration key input (again) and I
> get a little pop-up box saying all sorts of errors. Is it my system which
> isn't compatible? (BTW my Vista is legal)
>
> Specs:
>
> ASus Maximus Extreme
> Intel Core 2 Duo Q6700
> BFG nVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra
> 4GB OCZ DDR3 1333mhz RAM (only one stick used in installation)
> 2x WDC 500GB SATA II HDs in RAID0 (SATA ports 1 and 2)
> Samsung and Pioneer DVD drives (SATA ports 4 and 6)
> Thermaltake Toughpower 1200watt PSU
>
> Hope that is all you need to know at this stage.

Niick

Re: Ultimate Install Problems
I ran the Vista Memory Diagnostic Tool which is acessable by pressing space
bar at boot, and it says that I have a memory problem, does this mean I need
to RMA my RAM sticks? Also what is an EMS setup?

Thanks
Phillips

Re: Ultimate Install Problems
Check your BIOS settings - as well as RAM brand compatibility on Asus
website.
Also, are you sure "Config SATA as RAID," and "Boot from Raid" (or so... not
familiar w/ the BIOS pt. Maximus) are enabled? See also if there's a DDR2 vs
DDR3 setting.
I would try BIOS defaul settings w/o the Raid configuration... install on
one hdd and see what you get. You can also try changing the RAM bay if you
use one stick or even pairs. Might also be that RAM voltage (not to mention
the other settings for it) is set too low in BIOS... oh well, it never ends.
You might need to RMA the mobo, the RAM... good luck.
Michael

>I ran the Vista Memory Diagnostic Tool which is acessable by pressing space
> bar at boot, and it says that I have a memory problem, does this mean I
> need
> to RMA my RAM sticks? Also what is an EMS setup?
>
> Thanks

Brian Bourassa

Re: Ultimate Install Problems
hello,
for what it's worth i had simular problems with a new computer i
built , could not get vista to load , i ended up swapping out main processor
(pentium 3gig quad) and later the floppy drive. hope you find the problem.
brian

"Phillips" <afn18721@afn.org> wrote in message
> Try Repair Vista or just reinstall and load the SATA Raid drivers - should
> be on the mobo CD or use a floppy. There should be forums for your mobo
> where you can check. Also, use 2 sticks of RAM.
> Michael
>

> "Niick" <Niick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Hello,
>> I am trying to Install Windows Vista Ultimate OEM 32-bit on my new build
>> that I recently purchased. I have got to different stages and have had so
>> many errors that I have lost track. I have got the BSOD numerous times
>> and to
>> be honest, I don't know why I decided to buy Vista.
>>
>> I have got so far to the Hard drive drvers screen before I plugged in my
>> USB
>> memory stick and it stopped responding. After that, I haven't go as far.
>> Sometimes I get a BSOD right after it has finished loading the files
>> explaining to me that it couldn't write to the memory because it was
>> read-protected. I haved also got to the language select screen but it
>> doesn't
>> respond. I've even got as far as the regristration key input (again) and
>> get a little pop-up box saying all sorts of errors. Is it my system which
>> isn't compatible? (BTW my Vista is legal)
>>
>> Specs:
>>
>> ASus Maximus Extreme
>> Intel Core 2 Duo Q6700
>> BFG nVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra
>> 4GB OCZ DDR3 1333mhz RAM (only one stick used in installation)
>> 2x WDC 500GB SATA II HDs in RAID0 (SATA ports 1 and 2)
>> Samsung and Pioneer DVD drives (SATA ports 4 and 6)
>> Thermaltake Toughpower 1200watt PSU
>>
>> Hope that is all you need to know at this stage.

Rick Rogers

Re: Ultimate Install Problems
Hi,

Probably, either the timing settings are wrong or one or more sticks are
faulty.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Niick" <Niick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I ran the Vista Memory Diagnostic Tool which is acessable by pressing space
> bar at boot, and it says that I have a memory problem, does this mean I
> need
> to RMA my RAM sticks? Also what is an EMS setup?
>
> Thanks

Raven

Re: Ultimate Install Problems
since i can't seem to open a thread of my own for whatever reason, this is
the best i can do, i'm having problems installing Vista Ultimate, it loads up
to the initial screen of the option, choosing language and preferences, but i
don't get a mouse cursor, i've tried both USB mice, and PS/2 mice, and it
doesn't respont to keyboard commands at all, i've ruled out the connections
being a problem as my keyboard works just fine in the BIOS, but i suspect
it's possible i have a keyboard not supported by Vista, i'm using a rather
old (almost 3 years) A4 Tech wireless keyboard, i also tried an even older
Dell keyboard (about 4 or 5 years)

Can somebody please help me? i have this powerful computer sitting next to
me which i can't run