To prevent message opening until required in Windows Mail (vista)

A.B.Woodworm

To prevent message opening until required in Windows Mail (vista)
My Windows Mail is set up to open the first message automatically on opening
the programme.I do not want this to happen because of risk of virus content.
How can I change the settings?Vita Home Premium
Rick Rogers

Re: To prevent message opening until required in Windows Mail (vista)
Hi,

I don't know of any setting in Windows Mail that would do that. Perhaps you
are referring to the preview pane? If so, then simply turn it off
(view/layout, uncheck the line to use it). However, if you set
tools/options/read tab to display all messages in plain text, you will not
be loading any of the code associated with html when viewing an email. Once
satisfied an email is safe to view in rich text mode, simply click
view/message in html while that message is displayed. It will revert to
plain text mode when you close it or move to the next message.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"A.B.Woodworm" <A.B.Woodworm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Windows Mail is set up to open the first message automatically on
> opening
> the programme.I do not want this to happen because of risk of virus
> content.
> How can I change the settings?Vita Home Premium

DanR

Re: To prevent message opening until required in Windows Mail (vista)
Try this. Click on your inbox. Right click on a blank area of the toolbar.
Click on "Customize". On the left find "Preview". Click "Add" to move it to
the right. Now you can easily toggle the preview pane on and off. When you
exit Windows Mail turn the preview pane off.
When you are in "News" you can use this method to remove "Reply" so as to
not accidentally reply to a poster if you really intended to reply to the
group.
Another trick is to change your computer clock to a year or so in the
future. Send yourself an email. Reset your clock. If you sort your messages
by "sent" your message will be anchored at the top.