New computers come without Op Sys CDs

KingMe

New computers come without Op Sys CDs
I am ready to buy a new computer, probably HP, but it is my understanding
that regardless of manuf., computers no longer come with CDs for the Oper Sys
(like Vista, or XP).
In the event of a hard drive crash, how would a recovery take place? What
are the options?
--
Using of Win XP Pro, FrontPage 2002, Outlook XP, Word-PowerPoint-Publisher
2002, Word 2002

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: New computers come without Op Sys CDs

"KingMe" <KingMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:467E1766-EF61-4D9A-B1E5-0041F86027CF@microsoft.com...
> I am ready to buy a new computer, probably HP, but it is my understanding
> that regardless of manuf., computers no longer come with CDs for the Oper Sys
> (like Vista, or XP).
> In the event of a hard drive crash, how would a recovery take place? What
> are the options?
> --
> Using of Win XP Pro, FrontPage 2002, Outlook XP, Word-PowerPoint-Publisher
> 2002, Word 2002
> AMD Athlon 1.2, 512mb mem, 80GB disk, DVD and CD burners.

DELL provides separate disks for the OS, the Applications, and the Drivers.

They also offer a downgrade option to XP if you're unsatisfied with VISTA. *

DELL still offers new PCs with XP.

* There are qualifications and restrictions.

Dwarf

RE: New computers come without Op Sys CDs
Hi KingMe,

As you rightly state, some, but not all, manufacturers do not supply
recovery media. However, they should all provide a means of creating that
media. It is important that you create this media as soon as possible,
preferably before doing anything else. Refer to the computer manual for
details on how to do this. If you are able to download drivers for all your
hardware from the computer manufacturer, you can also install a retail
version of Vista on the machine.
Dwarf

"KingMe" wrote:

> I am ready to buy a new computer, probably HP, but it is my understanding
> that regardless of manuf., computers no longer come with CDs for the Oper Sys
> (like Vista, or XP).
> In the event of a hard drive crash, how would a recovery take place? What
> are the options?
> --
> Using of Win XP Pro, FrontPage 2002, Outlook XP, Word-PowerPoint-Publisher
> 2002, Word 2002
> AMD Athlon 1.2, 512mb mem, 80GB disk, DVD and CD burners.

JW

Re: New computers come without Op Sys CDs
The HP PCs come with everything required to rebuild the PC contained in a
recovery partition and they give you the ability to dump this recovery
partition to DVDs so that you can completely rebuild the system if required.
"KingMe" <KingMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am ready to buy a new computer, probably HP, but it is my understanding
> that regardless of manuf., computers no longer come with CDs for the Oper
> Sys
> (like Vista, or XP).
> In the event of a hard drive crash, how would a recovery take place? What
> are the options?
> --
> Using of Win XP Pro, FrontPage 2002, Outlook XP, Word-PowerPoint-Publisher
> 2002, Word 2002
> AMD Athlon 1.2, 512mb mem, 80GB disk, DVD and CD burners.

Emory Tech

RE: New computers come without Op Sys CDs
Call the manufacturer of the PC, if you plead your case they will send you
real media for this. Personally I make it a point to never buy a pc
pre-loaded with an OS anyways because they put so much bloatware on it to
begin with. You can always do a reload of windows using retail media so long
as you still have the key.