sysprep and Vista

NH

sysprep and Vista
I have a branded (ASUS) laptop running Vista Home Premium which I have booted
up and created a user account.. (nothing else)

I now want to sell the laptop on and want to get back the inital setup screen.

I have used sysprep with XP in the past with varying success. Sometimes it
retained its activation and all was well, but other times the user needed to
reativate...

So that I get it right this time, can someone explain to me how I delete my
user account and run sysprep (or the Vista equivalent) to retain the
activation and sid so that whoever buys it gets to use the first-boot screens
again..

Thanks

NH

Rick Rogers

Re: sysprep and Vista
Hi,

You have to use whatever proprietary recovery media was supplied to you by
Asus. It may be on DVD, or it may be a recovery volume on the hard drive
itself that his accessed at boot by hitting a function key. Check your
system documentation or Asus' site for instructions on your model.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"NH" <NH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a branded (ASUS) laptop running Vista Home Premium which I have
>booted
> up and created a user account.. (nothing else)
>
> I now want to sell the laptop on and want to get back the inital setup
> screen.
>
> I have used sysprep with XP in the past with varying success. Sometimes it
> retained its activation and all was well, but other times the user needed
> reativate...
>
> So that I get it right this time, can someone explain to me how I delete
> my
> user account and run sysprep (or the Vista equivalent) to retain the
> activation and sid so that whoever buys it gets to use the first-boot
> screens
> again..
>
> Thanks
>
> NH

NH

Re: sysprep and Vista
Thanks for the response

Why can't I just 'reseal' the windows installation?

Thanks

Nick

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You have to use whatever proprietary recovery media was supplied to you by
> Asus. It may be on DVD, or it may be a recovery volume on the hard drive
> itself that his accessed at boot by hitting a function key. Check your
> system documentation or Asus' site for instructions on your model.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "NH" <NH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a branded (ASUS) laptop running Vista Home Premium which I have
> >booted
> > up and created a user account.. (nothing else)
> >
> > I now want to sell the laptop on and want to get back the inital setup
> > screen.
> >
> > I have used sysprep with XP in the past with varying success. Sometimes it
> > retained its activation and all was well, but other times the user needed
> > reativate...
> >
> > So that I get it right this time, can someone explain to me how I delete
> > my
> > user account and run sysprep (or the Vista equivalent) to retain the
> > activation and sid so that whoever buys it gets to use the first-boot
> > screens
> > again..
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > NH

Rick Rogers

Re: sysprep and Vista
Hi,

You're limited to what Asus provides for this. Plus, Vista's activation
scheme is not the same as XP's and for the most part does not allow for
preservation on a reinstall.