Vista Activation error

skiingco

Vista Activation error
How do I get the activation to accept changing the key when the database
believes it is already in use?

Recently re-installed for third time in 6 months(security updates from MS
website crashed it), same hard drive, same computer. Initially activation
went through, no issues. Now, when I look at properties in My COmputer, the
activation on the bottom wants me to activate and it lists a numeric key that
is not even close to the key I input from the Windows Case

This did not happen on the initial load and second reload.
Dustin Harper

Re: Vista Activation error
That key is the installation ID, which is different than the product/CD key.
The installation ID is the one you need to tell the Microsoft employee when
you call to activate. You can just select "Activate by Phone", speak to the
rep, and they will get you up and running with that number.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.dot.kom | Replace the obvious

"skiingco" <skiingco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I get the activation to accept changing the key when the database
> believes it is already in use?
>
> Recently re-installed for third time in 6 months(security updates from MS
> website crashed it), same hard drive, same computer. Initially activation
> went through, no issues. Now, when I look at properties in My COmputer,
> the
> activation on the bottom wants me to activate and it lists a numeric key
> that
> is not even close to the key I input from the Windows Case
>
> This did not happen on the initial load and second reload.

philo

Re: Vista Activation error

"skiingco" <skiingco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I get the activation to accept changing the key when the database
> believes it is already in use?
>
> Recently re-installed for third time in 6 months(security updates from MS
> website crashed it), same hard drive, same computer. Initially activation
> went through, no issues. Now, when I look at properties in My COmputer,

the
> activation on the bottom wants me to activate and it lists a numeric key

that
> is not even close to the key I input from the Windows Case
>
> This did not happen on the initial load and second reload.

Activate over the phone

Yes...a pain...but not too big of one.

It's automated and should only take a few minutes.(Approx 6 minutes)

If for any reason that does not work...then you will need to stay on the
line
and talk to someone...
that may take longer of course

John Barnett MVP

Re: Vista Activation error
You are going to need to activate over the phone. The numeric key is the
activation key it original returned when you last activated. When you use
the telephone option a numeric key code appears on your screen, you input
that code into your telephone (or relay it to the tech representative) and
then another numeric key is relayed either to your PC or directly to you
from the tech reprehensive which has to be typed into the available dialogue
boxes on your pc screen. These are the numbers you are currently seeing.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org