Upgraded RAM - System Won't Boot

I'm running Vista Ultimate x64. I had 4GB of memory installed and just
upgraded to 8GB. When I started the computer with the new memory sticks, I
got this message:

"The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the
computed checksum."

I booted from the Vista DVD and tried the Startup Repair but it says it did
not detect any problems so it won't repair anything. What can I do?

Please help.

philo

Re: Upgraded RAM - System Won't Boot

<michelldadams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Vista Ultimate x64. I had 4GB of memory installed and just
> upgraded to 8GB. When I started the computer with the new memory sticks,

> got this message:
>
> "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match

the
> computed checksum."
>
> I booted from the Vista DVD and tried the Startup Repair but it says it

did
> not detect any problems so it won't repair anything. What can I do?
>
> Please help.

You need to determine if the new RAM is compatible with your machine...
plus you need to determine whether or not it's defective
(yes, even new RAM could be bad.)

You could try the machine with only the new RAM...
and if it does not boot properly then that's the problem.

OTOH: If it does boot correctly with only the new RAM...
the problem could be due to the amount of RAM...

Though the OS should support the amount...check all the mobo specs to see if
there are any particulars

DevilsPGD

Re: Upgraded RAM - System Won't Boot
In message <0165ED62-30F0-45D5-8553-C3951E07D09B@microsoft.com>
<michelldadams@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I'm running Vista Ultimate x64. I had 4GB of memory installed and just
>upgraded to 8GB. When I started the computer with the new memory sticks, I
>got this message:
>
>"The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the
>computed checksum."
>
>I booted from the Vista DVD and tried the Startup Repair but it says it did
>not detect any problems so it won't repair anything. What can I do?
>
>Please help.

Bad RAM can easily cause checksum corruption reports, you might want to
run a RAM tester, and/or test each set of 4GB individually.
scrooge

Re: Upgraded RAM - System Won't Boot

check and see if maybe when you installed the memory you didn't pull a
cable out.
if that don't work try the system restore with the vista cd.

--
scrooge

Re: Upgraded RAM - System Won't Boot
I ran the Windows supplied Memory Diagnostics and it found no problems.
After the diagnostics were finished the system booted properly and Windows
detected all the memory properly.

I then attempted a restart and got the same error message.

<michelldadams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Vista Ultimate x64. I had 4GB of memory installed and just
> upgraded to 8GB. When I started the computer with the new memory sticks,
> I got this message:
>
> "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match
> the computed checksum."
>
> I booted from the Vista DVD and tried the Startup Repair but it says it
> did not detect any problems so it won't repair anything. What can I do?
>
> Please help.

Rob

> I ran the Windows supplied Memory Diagnostics and it found no problems.
> After the diagnostics were finished the system booted properly and Windows
> detected all the memory properly.
>
> I then attempted a restart and got the same error message.

Hi

So does it only boot properly if you do Memory Diagnostics? Are all the
memory modules fitted securely? Does your board require a BIOS upgrade?

rob

--
Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
P4 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
ATI Radeon X1650 Pro
Creative SB Audigy 2

Manuel Nonaca

Re: Upgraded RAM - System Won't Boot
Hello Michelle,

Did you check to see if there was a bios upgrade for your mobo? You may
even want to try and tweak your memory voltage, FSB/memory config (remember
to write down the current setting's). Finally, or maybe the first you do is
verify your CAS latency are the same for all your memory stick?

--
Manuel Nonaca
MIS/M University of Phoenix Online

<michelldadams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Vista Ultimate x64. I had 4GB of memory installed and just
> upgraded to 8GB. When I started the computer with the new memory sticks,
> I got this message:
>
> "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match
> the computed checksum."
>
> I booted from the Vista DVD and tried the Startup Repair but it says it
> did not detect any problems so it won't repair anything. What can I do?
>
> Please help.

Mick Murphy

RE: Upgraded RAM - System Won't Boot
Are the new Memory Sticks the same speed as the old ones?

Sometimes you can get away with mixing speed; but not often

"michelldadams@hotmail.com" wrote:

> I'm running Vista Ultimate x64. I had 4GB of memory installed and just
> upgraded to 8GB. When I started the computer with the new memory sticks, I
> got this message:
>
> "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the
> computed checksum."
>
> I booted from the Vista DVD and tried the Startup Repair but it says it did
> not detect any problems so it won't repair anything. What can I do?
>
> Please help.

mem5000

Re: Upgraded RAM - System Won't Boot

ill throw this bit of info in there...

this message popped up on my dell tonight, and sure enough it was
memory. One of my 2 2-gig chips had gone BAD. i can boot up with just
the one good one, but if i put the second one in, or the bad one in
alone, it gives that error, or flat wont even get past the DELL post
screen.

try one chip at a time.

--
mem5000