Two programs that UAC don't allow to load

Alberto

Two programs that UAC don't allow to load
Hello everybody,

I use Vista 32 Ultimate and I have this problem during the startup of Windows:

The UAC control stops 2 programs and I'm not able to let these programs load
with
UAC control active. Tried everything also in Windows defender but no success.
I must always confirm and let run these programs clicking on the UAC block
tray icon that appear during the load of these 2 programs.

Someone tell me that these programs blocked by UAC must be updated from the
developers to pass the UAC.

It's true?

Please let me know

Thanks
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: Two programs that UAC don't allow to load

"Alberto" <Alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3D973437-71A5-4123-A38C-5E30C2DDE310@microsoft.com...
> Hello everybody,
>
> I use Vista 32 Ultimate and I have this problem during the startup of Windows:
>
> The UAC control stops 2 programs and I'm not able to let these programs load
> with
> UAC control active. Tried everything also in Windows defender but no success.
> I must always confirm and let run these programs clicking on the UAC block
> tray icon that appear during the load of these 2 programs.
>
> Someone tell me that these programs blocked by UAC must be updated from the
> developers to pass the UAC.
>
> It's true?
>
> Please let me know
>
> Thanks

I don't know the answer to your question, but the first thing I do during
the installation of VISTA for and 'single user' PC is to turn off UAC.

If you share the computer, I don't recommend this.... but if you are the
only user, turn it completely off.

Alberto

Re: Two programs that UAC don't allow to load
Hi,

Of course but that damned UAC control if not enabled don't let run some of
my programs, when I launch these programs make errors and don't start.If UAC
control is enabled the programs work well.

Someone tell me also try to give administrator rights to these two programs
"elevated"
but I don't know the right procedure to do this.

If someone knows please let me know.

Thank you

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote:

> "Alberto" <Alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3D973437-71A5-4123-A38C-5E30C2DDE310@microsoft.com...
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I use Vista 32 Ultimate and I have this problem during the startup of Windows:
> >
> > The UAC control stops 2 programs and I'm not able to let these programs load
> > with
> > UAC control active. Tried everything also in Windows defender but no success.
> > I must always confirm and let run these programs clicking on the UAC block
> > tray icon that appear during the load of these 2 programs.
> >
> > Someone tell me that these programs blocked by UAC must be updated from the
> > developers to pass the UAC.
> >
> > It's true?
> >
> > Please let me know
> >
> > Thanks

> I don't know the answer to your question, but the first thing I do during
> the installation of VISTA for and 'single user' PC is to turn off UAC.
>
> If you share the computer, I don't recommend this.... but if you are the
> only user, turn it completely off.

Rick Rogers

Re: Two programs that UAC don't allow to load
Hi,

Right click the setup file, don't just double click it, choose "run as
administrator" to install them.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Alberto" <Alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello everybody,
>
> I use Vista 32 Ultimate and I have this problem during the startup of
> Windows:
>
> The UAC control stops 2 programs and I'm not able to let these programs
> load
> with
> UAC control active. Tried everything also in Windows defender but no
> success.
> I must always confirm and let run these programs clicking on the UAC block
> tray icon that appear during the load of these 2 programs.
>
> Someone tell me that these programs blocked by UAC must be updated from
> the
> developers to pass the UAC.
>
> It's true?
>
> Please let me know
>
> Thanks

Rick Rogers

Re: Two programs that UAC don't allow to load
Single user or not, UAC should not be disabled. UAC doesn't protect one user
from another, it protects the system from the actions of any user. Programs
that are not written for the Vista runtime environment should be installed
(and sometimes run) using elevated privileges it they are hard-coded to
write to system folders.

--

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <findme@m-a-m-s.comC/Odm> wrote in message

> "Alberto" <Alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I use Vista 32 Ultimate and I have this problem during the startup of
>> Windows:
>>
>> The UAC control stops 2 programs and I'm not able to let these programs
>> load
>> with
>> UAC control active. Tried everything also in Windows defender but no
>> success.
>> I must always confirm and let run these programs clicking on the UAC
>> block
>> tray icon that appear during the load of these 2 programs.
>>
>> Someone tell me that these programs blocked by UAC must be updated from
>> the
>> developers to pass the UAC.
>>
>> It's true?
>>
>> Please let me know
>>
>> Thanks

> I don't know the answer to your question, but the first thing I do during
> the installation of VISTA for and 'single user' PC is to turn off UAC.
>
> If you share the computer, I don't recommend this.... but if you are the
> only user, turn it completely off.

Alberto

Re: Two programs that UAC don't allow to load
Hi,

Good news for this!
I must uninstall the 2 programs, and then install them with "run as
administrator"?

Thank you

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Right click the setup file, don't just double click it, choose "run as
> administrator" to install them.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Alberto" <Alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I use Vista 32 Ultimate and I have this problem during the startup of
> > Windows:
> >
> > The UAC control stops 2 programs and I'm not able to let these programs
> > load
> > with
> > UAC control active. Tried everything also in Windows defender but no
> > success.
> > I must always confirm and let run these programs clicking on the UAC block
> > tray icon that appear during the load of these 2 programs.
> >
> > Someone tell me that these programs blocked by UAC must be updated from
> > the
> > developers to pass the UAC.
> >
> > It's true?
> >
> > Please let me know
> >
> > Thanks

Rick Rogers

Re: Two programs that UAC don't allow to load
Hi,

No, that won't help them avoid the prompts under normal runtime. You would
need to obtain compatible versions of the program, or you can try the steps
here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946932

"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:eTQjCNXVIHA.4868@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

> Single user or not, UAC should not be disabled.

It'll be a while before I buy that, Rick. Experience tells me otherwise.

> UAC doesn't protect one user from another,

It protects unauthorized alteration of files by unauthorized users does it not?

> it protects the system from the actions of any user.

From what actions? Protects "the system" from what? The owner !?!?

> Programs
> that are not written for the Vista runtime environment should be installed
> (and sometimes run) using elevated privileges it they are hard-coded to
> write to system folders.

You have me worried now, Rick... but I'm not certain that I understand why.

I may be showing my ignorance here, but the first thing I turn off after installing
a VISTA OS is the UAC. Since I don't keep it running full time personally, I have
no first hand experience except for client feedback. I have yet to have a single
issue arise from having done so, and many of them are installing software such
as Office 2000 and other very old and even uncommon things... like Broderbund
Greeting Card, Bicycle Card gamepack, and other games and software, some
that barely proceed DOS. If it's on the compatibility lists, I've probably seen it....
and I've seen plenty of software that isn't on most lists, run fine with no UAC
on VISTA... often with no compatability mode preferences.

About 6 months ago I went into a Church office environment of multiple VISTA
PCs networked together that had all of the bogus trial software (some having
been activated, some not, and varying from machine to machine) and the host
of other BS that comes with most OEM "package" systems. The PCs had been
running for several months in a variety of offices, with a variety of users and a
variety of different software on each machine. I turned off UAC on all of them,
individually, and not one person has uttered a single word about noticing
*anything* different except for being thankful that those dumb-ass warning
windows are gone. (This would be the reason your statement concerns me).
I'm there, in the offices, 2 days a week.... not one utterance of any issues,
but I certainly don't want there to be.

Can you be more specific about what to keep a look out for?

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
Morgan Audio Media Service

> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "David Morgan (MAMS)" <findme@m-a-m-s.comC/Odm> wrote in message
> >
> > "Alberto" <Alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello everybody,
> >>
> >> I use Vista 32 Ultimate and I have this problem during the startup of
> >> Windows:
> >>
> >> The UAC control stops 2 programs and I'm not able to let these programs
> >> load
> >> with
> >> UAC control active. Tried everything also in Windows defender but no
> >> success.
> >> I must always confirm and let run these programs clicking on the UAC
> >> block
> >> tray icon that appear during the load of these 2 programs.
> >>
> >> Someone tell me that these programs blocked by UAC must be updated from
> >> the
> >> developers to pass the UAC.
> >>
> >> It's true?
> >>
> >> Please let me know
> >>
> >> Thanks

> > I don't know the answer to your question, but the first thing I do during
> > the installation of VISTA for and 'single user' PC is to turn off UAC.
> >
> > If you share the computer, I don't recommend this.... but if you are the
> > only user, turn it completely off.

Riffrafter

Re: Two programs that UAC don't allow to load

> Single user or not, UAC should not be disabled. UAC doesn't protect one
> user from another, it protects the system from the actions of any user.
> Programs that are not written for the Vista runtime environment should be
> installed (and sometimes run) using elevated privileges it they are
> hard-coded to write to system folders.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Well, I really like Vista but not until I turned UAC off. It is the most
annoying, obtrusive and plain old dumb "feature" I've ever seen. The goal
and concept of UAC is a good one, but the way that MS tried to accomplish it
was terrible. It needs to get a whole lot "smarter" and work a whole more
efficiently behind the scenes before I would ever consider using it again.

-Riff

Rick Rogers

Re: Two programs that UAC don't allow to load
Hi David,

It's all about malware. The number one source of user infections is malware
installing itself sight unseen. This occurs because users tend to run
themselves as administrators rather than as regular users (must be something
about the human pysche that they just can't stand not having full control,
even though it's not needed). Previous to Vista, malware could make use of
this privilege level and install itself without the user's knowledge, then
replicate and redistribute, and directly affect system and program folders
by writing to and altering system files. Much of it is sophisticated enough
to fool AV applications and block detection, rendering that type of real
time protection useless for curing or blocking the problem.

What UAC does is prevent these software bits from usurping this privilege
level, forcing it to be acknowledged by the user before it can alter
anything. In addition, with applications now being forced to run in the user
environment (%username%\appdata) rather than the shared system environment
(\%systemroot% or \Programs Files\program), any damage done by one user is
restricted to only their logon. When UAC is disabled and applications are
allowed to run with elevated privilege, it defeats this whole protection
scheme. It isn't perfect, as users are still in the habit of just ok'ing
everything that pops up when they install something, but it does force them
to be more aware.