setup password

Selvakumar

setup password
Dear friends
I ve a HP make laptop of model Compaq nx 7300 with vista.
when I try to install windows XP it asks for setup password which was not
provided by me.Can anyone please tell how to reset the setup password ?

Thanks,
Selvakumar.s
Malke

Re: setup password
Selvakumar wrote:
> Dear friends
> I ve a HP make laptop of model Compaq nx 7300 with vista.
> when I try to install windows XP it asks for setup password which was not
> provided by me.Can anyone please tell how to reset the setup password ?
>
> Thanks,
> Selvakumar.s

This doesn't make sense. You can't install XP on a Vista machine unless
you're doing a clean install. If you're doing a clean install, you won't
be asked for any "setup password".

You're going to need to provide a more exact description of exactly what
you're doing and with what sort of installation media. General
information about replacing Vista with XP:

You need to do some things first:

1. Go to HP's website and look for XP drivers for your specific model
computer. If there are no XP drivers, then you can't install XP. End of
story.

2. Check with HP - either from their tech support website or by calling
them - to see if you will void your warranty if you do this. If you will
void the warranty, you make the decision.

3. If HP does support XP on the machine, call them and see if you can
have downgrade rights and have them send you an XP restore disk. This
will be far the easiest and best way of getting XP on the machine.

4. If XP is supported on the machine but HP doesn't have an XP restore
disk for that model, understand that you'll need to purchase a retail
copy of XP from your favorite online or brick/mortar store. You'll then
need to download drivers from HP's website for your model computer and
have them on a USB thumbdrive or burned to CD-R.

5. Also understand that you will need to do a clean install of XP so if
you have any data you want, back it up first.

6. If none of the above is applicable to you because you can't run XP on
that machine, return the computer and purchase one running XP instead.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install How-To
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...alling_Windows -
What you will need on-hand

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Mick Murphy

RE: setup password
Follow Malke's advice.

Also, if you are trying to dual boot, or install XP by itself, during
installation you are asked to insert "admin username and password". You leave
that blank if you want to, or create an admin account.