Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate?

JohnnyBee

Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate?
I am interested in upgrading from vista home premium to ultimate, using the
vista ultimate upgrade retail disk. Will I have to re-install office pro
2007 and my other software? Will I have to re-program media center TV
shows? Can I just use my Ultimate key and install only the ultimate
components that I want to use, like ISO image creation and hold'em?
Ron Martell

Re: Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate?
JohnnyBee <JohnnyBee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am interested in upgrading from vista home premium to ultimate, using the
>vista ultimate upgrade retail disk. Will I have to re-install office pro
>2007 and my other software? Will I have to re-program media center TV
>shows? Can I just use my Ultimate key and install only the ultimate
>components that I want to use, like ISO image creation and hold'em?

The Vista Ultimate Upgrade should preserve everthing from your
existing Vista Home Premium installation.

What specific features and functions in Vista Ultimate that are not in
Vista Home Premium are you wanting to use?

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."
Rick Rogers

Re: Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate?
Hi,

> Will I have to re-install office pro 2007 and my other software?

No, an upgrade retains existing installed programs, user accounts, and most
settings/preferences.

> Will I have to re-program media center TV shows?

I do not believe so.

> Can I just use my Ultimate key and install only the ultimate components
> that I want to use, like ISO image creation and hold'em?

No, you have to go through the upgrade process.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"JohnnyBee" <JohnnyBee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news76B49C1-1AF8-415B-85C6-86D0DBDFFDB3@microsoft.com...
>I am interested in upgrading from vista home premium to ultimate, using the
> vista ultimate upgrade retail disk.

TheClassic

On Jan 2, 8:48 pm, "Rick Rogers" <r...@mvps.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Will I have to re-install office pro 2007 and my other software?

> No, anupgraderetains existing installed programs, user accounts, and mostsettings/preferences.
>
> > Will I have to re-program media center TV shows?

> I do not believe so.
>
> > Can I just use myUltimatekey and install only theultimatecomponents
> > that I want to use, like ISO image creation and hold'em?

> No, you have to go through theupgradeprocess.

I upgraded from Home Premium that came with my Dell using a retail box
Ultimate and all my desktop shortcuts, user settings, etc are gone for
my user account. I haven't had a chance to check my user account
either. From what I've read in your post and other this is unexpected
(and certainly annoying). I read another post where somebody
complained that there user files and settings were moved to
"windows.old" after upgrading from home basic to home premium, I'm at
work and haven't had a chance, but I hope my data is there. Obviously
I should have backed my stuff up first, but I expected the upgrade to
be quick, easy, and painless. There must be plenty of other people who
have experienced this. I'd like to hear how others resolved it.