Just upgraded to SP1

Jal

Just upgraded to SP1
I found and installed SP1 for Vista. However, now I have in the corner of my
lower right screen, a new message showing:
Windows Vista (TM)
Evaluation copy. Build 6001

I have a registered version of Vista Home Premium, and of course, since I
had installation problems when I first got it, I can't get help from
Microsoft except here now.

Anyone know if this will be a problem? And how do I get rid of that stupid
message?

Thanks!!!
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Just upgraded to SP1
"Jal" <Jal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I found and installed SP1 for Vista. However, now I have in the corner of
>my
> lower right screen, a new message showing:
> Windows Vista (TM)
> Evaluation copy. Build 6001
>
> I have a registered version of Vista Home Premium, and of course, since I
> had installation problems when I first got it, I can't get help from
> Microsoft except here now.
>
> Anyone know if this will be a problem? And how do I get rid of that
> stupid
> message?
>
> Thanks!!!

It is a reminder that you have an evaluation version of SP1. It will
disappear when you get the final version.

--
Mike Hall - MVP

Dustin Harper

Re: Just upgraded to SP1
It isn't a problem whatsoever, it just shows that you are running an
evaluation version of SP1. When the final is installed, that message goes
away.

However, if you really want it off of your desktop, here is how:
http://vista.blorge.com/2007/12/13/h...ista-sp1-beta/

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"Jal" <Jal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I found and installed SP1 for Vista. However, now I have in the corner of
>my
> lower right screen, a new message showing:
> Windows Vista (TM)
> Evaluation copy. Build 6001
>
> I have a registered version of Vista Home Premium, and of course, since I
> had installation problems when I first got it, I can't get help from
> Microsoft except here now.
>
> Anyone know if this will be a problem? And how do I get rid of that
> stupid
> message?
>
> Thanks!!!

Bruce Chambers

Re: Just upgraded to SP1
Jal wrote:
> I found and installed SP1 for Vista. However, now I have in the corner of my
> lower right screen, a new message showing:
> Windows Vista (TM)
> Evaluation copy. Build 6001
>
> I have a registered version of Vista Home Premium, and of course, since I
> had installation problems when I first got it, I can't get help from
> Microsoft except here now.
>
> Anyone know if this will be a problem? And how do I get rid of that stupid
> message?
>
> Thanks!!!

It's not a "problem;" it's by design. You've installed an
evaluation copy of the Service Pack (the final version has yet to be
released), and your desktop has been labeled accordingly. When you
eventually replace the Release Candidate with the final version of SP1,
the branding should go away.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
AJR

Re: Just upgraded to SP1
The "branding" will "disappear" June 2008 - RC1 time limit.

"Jal" <Jal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I found and installed SP1 for Vista. However, now I have in the corner of
>my
> lower right screen, a new message showing:
> Windows Vista (TM)
> Evaluation copy. Build 6001
>
> I have a registered version of Vista Home Premium, and of course, since I
> had installation problems when I first got it, I can't get help from
> Microsoft except here now.
>
> Anyone know if this will be a problem? And how do I get rid of that
> stupid
> message?
>
> Thanks!!!

fumblefingers

Re: Just upgraded to SP1
On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 10:01:56 -0700, Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>Jal wrote:
>> I found and installed SP1 for Vista. However, now I have in the corner of my
>> lower right screen, a new message showing:
>> Windows Vista (TM)
>> Evaluation copy. Build 6001
>>
>> I have a registered version of Vista Home Premium, and of course, since I
>> had installation problems when I first got it, I can't get help from
>> Microsoft except here now.
>>
>> Anyone know if this will be a problem? And how do I get rid of that stupid
>> message?
>>
>> Thanks!!!

> It's not a "problem;" it's by design. You've installed an
>evaluation copy of the Service Pack (the final version has yet to be
>released), and your desktop has been labeled accordingly. When you
>eventually replace the Release Candidate with the final version of SP1,
>the branding should go away.

Wow! Is the KoolAid tasty?

Of course it's a "problem" for a psychologically normal person to have his/her desktop marred
with branding that way, much as though an installed anti-virus program insisted on corrupting
the color rendering so that everything is electric chartreuse. Persistent obnoxious behavior
gets on people's nerves. No one's pc, or desktop, belongs to Microsoft, something the
programmers there are extremely obtuse about.

--
fumblefingers
don't capitalize on reply-to

Dustin Harper

Re: Just upgraded to SP1
Wow. Anti-corporate attitude full speed ahead!

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"fumblefingers" <fumble.fingers@YHWH!!.org.invalid> wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 10:01:56 -0700, Bruce Chambers
> <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
>
>>Jal wrote:
>>> I found and installed SP1 for Vista. However, now I have in the corner
>>> of my
>>> lower right screen, a new message showing:
>>> Windows Vista (TM)
>>> Evaluation copy. Build 6001
>>>
>>> I have a registered version of Vista Home Premium, and of course, since
>>> had installation problems when I first got it, I can't get help from
>>> Microsoft except here now.
>>>
>>> Anyone know if this will be a problem? And how do I get rid of that
>>> stupid
>>> message?
>>>
>>> Thanks!!!

>> It's not a "problem;" it's by design. You've installed an
>>evaluation copy of the Service Pack (the final version has yet to be
>>released), and your desktop has been labeled accordingly. When you
>>eventually replace the Release Candidate with the final version of SP1,
>>the branding should go away.

> Wow! Is the KoolAid tasty?
>
> Of course it's a "problem" for a psychologically normal person to have
> his/her desktop marred
> with branding that way, much as though an installed anti-virus program
> insisted on corrupting
> the color rendering so that everything is electric chartreuse. Persistent
> obnoxious behavior
> gets on people's nerves. No one's pc, or desktop, belongs to Microsoft,
> something the
> programmers there are extremely obtuse about.
>
> --
> fumblefingers
> don't capitalize on reply-to

fumblefingers

Re: Just upgraded to SP1
On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 20:40:43 -0800, "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote:

>Wow. Anti-corporate attitude full speed ahead!

You *have* to be kidding.

Good one.

--
fumblefingers
don't capitalize on reply-to

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Just upgraded to SP1
"fumblefingers" <fumble.fingers@YHWH!!.org.invalid> wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 10:01:56 -0700, Bruce Chambers
> <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
>
>>Jal wrote:
>>> I found and installed SP1 for Vista. However, now I have in the corner
>>> of my
>>> lower right screen, a new message showing:
>>> Windows Vista (TM)
>>> Evaluation copy. Build 6001
>>>
>>> I have a registered version of Vista Home Premium, and of course, since
>>> had installation problems when I first got it, I can't get help from
>>> Microsoft except here now.
>>>
>>> Anyone know if this will be a problem? And how do I get rid of that
>>> stupid
>>> message?
>>>
>>> Thanks!!!

>> It's not a "problem;" it's by design. You've installed an
>>evaluation copy of the Service Pack (the final version has yet to be
>>released), and your desktop has been labeled accordingly. When you
>>eventually replace the Release Candidate with the final version of SP1,
>>the branding should go away.

> Wow! Is the KoolAid tasty?
>
> Of course it's a "problem" for a psychologically normal person to have
> his/her desktop marred
> with branding that way, much as though an installed anti-virus program
> insisted on corrupting
> the color rendering so that everything is electric chartreuse. Persistent
> obnoxious behavior
> gets on people's nerves. No one's pc, or desktop, belongs to Microsoft,
> something the
> programmers there are extremely obtuse about.
>
> --
> fumblefingers
> don't capitalize on reply-to

It is there as a reminder that the computer is running an evaluation
version, not the RTM..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

RayR

RE: Just upgraded to SP1
Ditto, nd now I even get Microsoft e-mails saying SP1 is out, how wonderful
it is, and to just let auto-update do its thing. But I still have the same
screen msg.

Vista is lame and Microsofts' slow and minimal response to that is pityful.
I have Vista on 1 home machine, but I have to use my wife's XP box to get
some things done even at home. Vista is never going onto the computers in the
company I own. At this point coming out with SP10 probably will not regain my
trust.