Vista Product Key

Bogdan

Vista Product Key
Hi.
I bought a Vista Home Premium x64 last week-end. Today a friend, i think saw
my product key for Vista. I think he note that. If he use that Product Key
somewhere, I can lose my Genuine License?
Please help me, i'm in a big trouble...

Tom Ferguson

Re: Vista Product Key
If you have installed and activated your Vista OS using that product key,
you should be OK. For greater assurance, keep your sales receipt and
original box, &c.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Bogdan" <Bogdan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I bought a Vista Home Premium x64 last week-end. Today a friend, i think
> saw
> my product key for Vista. I think he note that. If he use that Product Key
> somewhere, I can lose my Genuine License?
> Please help me, i'm in a big trouble...

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Vista Product Key
"Bogdan" <Bogdan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I bought a Vista Home Premium x64 last week-end. Today a friend, i think
> saw
> my product key for Vista. I think he note that. If he use that Product Key
> somewhere, I can lose my Genuine License?
> Please help me, i'm in a big trouble...

For it to be of use to your friend, he would need to have the same version
of Vista as you do. Has he?

--
Mike Hall - MVP

John Barnett MVP

Re: Vista Product Key
If you have installed Vista onto your PC and activated it hen the product
key is logged to your machine. If your friend installs a copy of Vista with
your product key number he will get a 'product key in use' message because
it is being used by the legal owner, You!

However, there are ways and means around this problem, but it does involve
your friend contacting Microsoft so I suggest you keep your official receipt
for the product safe just in case a legal ownership issue occurs. It always
pays to be safe than sorry.

As for your friend, well maybe it's time to get a more reliable friend. I
could say more 'honest' but, as you have pointed out in your post "i think
he note that" so it is only, currently, an assumption on your part. His/her
honesty comes into question when the product key is used by him/her.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Bogdan" <Bogdan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I bought a Vista Home Premium x64 last week-end. Today a friend, i think
> saw
> my product key for Vista. I think he note that. If he use that Product Key
> somewhere, I can lose my Genuine License?
> Please help me, i'm in a big trouble...

DevilsPGD

Re: Vista Product Key
In message <ufFJHlZSIHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> "Mike Hall - MVP"
<mikehall@mvps.com> wrote:

>"Bogdan" <Bogdan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi.
>> I bought a Vista Home Premium x64 last week-end. Today a friend, i think
>> saw
>> my product key for Vista. I think he note that. If he use that Product Key
>> somewhere, I can lose my Genuine License?
>> Please help me, i'm in a big trouble...

>For it to be of use to your friend, he would need to have the same version
>of Vista as you do. Has he?

Umm, that is not the case, not at all.

All he needs is a genuine Microsoft Vista DVD (or ISO image) and he'll
be able to use the key to install and activate.

Any retail DVD will be sufficient, whether the original key is an OEM,
retail-full or an upgrade isn't relevant. The particular flavor (Home
Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, etc) doesn't matter as long as
it's one of the ones available in North American retail channels
(Starter and Enterprise are different beasts, as is the -N and -K SKUs)
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Vista Product Key
"DevilsPGD" <spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
newsr4bn31uqtd24fp27uk18o9g4s7v2isrbb@4ax.com...
> In message <ufFJHlZSIHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> "Mike Hall - MVP"
> <mikehall@mvps.com> wrote:
>
>>"Bogdan" <Bogdan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi.
>>> I bought a Vista Home Premium x64 last week-end. Today a friend, i think
>>> saw
>>> my product key for Vista. I think he note that. If he use that Product
>>> Key
>>> somewhere, I can lose my Genuine License?
>>> Please help me, i'm in a big trouble...

>>For it to be of use to your friend, he would need to have the same version
>>of Vista as you do. Has he?

> Umm, that is not the case, not at all.
>
> All he needs is a genuine Microsoft Vista DVD (or ISO image) and he'll
> be able to use the key to install and activate.
>
> Any retail DVD will be sufficient, whether the original key is an OEM,
> retail-full or an upgrade isn't relevant. The particular flavor (Home
> Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, etc) doesn't matter as long as
> it's one of the ones available in North American retail channels
> (Starter and Enterprise are different beasts, as is the -N and -K SKUs)

That's interesting because I thought that OEM and Retail keys were
different..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

DevilsPGD

Re: Vista Product Key
In message <#rxGlobSIHA.4128@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl> "Mike Hall - MVP"
<mikehall@mvps.com> wrote:

>That's interesting because I thought that OEM and Retail keys were
>different..

The *keys* are different, but the *media* is identical (or can be, OEMs
can build their own media, but generic OEM media does seem to work. I've
only personally tested with Toshiba, Dell and generic OEM keys
installing from "upgrade-only" and "full" media)
vanilla

Re: Vista Product Key
Bogdan ... I agree completely with the post from John Barnett ... if,
indeed, this friend tries to use your key, then he should very quickly
become an ex-friend. At that point, you will not owe him any honor, no
matter how long you have known him. I have had this problem with relatives.
They think I am "stingy" and "paranoid". I tell them: spend your own money,
clown. The truth is, someone who would surreptitiously copy your key or
"borrow" your OS DVD from where you have it hidden is nothing but a
cheapskate looking for something for nothing.

The advice to keep your original receipt in a safe place is very good
advice. Keeping original packaging is good advice also. I wish to add that,
if your original receipt is thermal, make a copy of it (or two!) while you
can still read it ... I have had to go get duplicates from stores that use
thermal printing for their receipts because they fade with time. I now
routinely make copies ... one to go with the original in a folder and the
other to go in my monthly receipts file.

Do not be afraid to make it clear to family and friends that your software
is not for "sharing". You don't _owe_ them that, even if they try to make
you think that you do because a) you make more money than they do; b) they
can't afford it ... blah, blah, whatever they come up with ... if you make
it clear that it is NOT ok, and you keep your receipts, then your conscience
is clear and you don't need to be afraid. You are not the owner of the
problem; they are.

Cheers and Happy New Year ... vanilla