Installing a second HD in Vista

cb22

Installing a second HD in Vista
Hello all,

I am currently trying to install a second HD in Vista Basic. Both my OS and
BIOS have all the current and necessary updates. My main HD is a WD 80 GB
SATA and hosts my operating system (Vista Basic). I basically want to add a
secondary IDE drive that I can use for file storage. The second drive is made
by HITACHI and is only 2 years old.

The problem that I seem to have is that when I connect the second drive, it
takes forever for Vista to boot up (10 minutes at least). I have the proper
cable and I have tried setting the Jumper settings to every configuration
possible. I have read and followed all the recommended settings for both the
hard drive and motherboard but I still have had no luck. Is there something
simple that I seem to be missing?

When I use the same secondary HD in an external USB enclosure, it works
perfectly and without any boot problems. I thought that it may be a faulty
IDE slot on the motherboard so I purchased a PCI controller to try and
correct the issue but still have the same problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it Vista specific or am I simply
missing something in the installation process?

Thanks for your time and input.
andy

Re: Installing a second HD in Vista
Check the jumper for the WD drive. There is one setting for single
drive, and another for dual (master), which is what you want.
<http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=84>

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:28:02 -0800, cb22
<cb22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I am currently trying to install a second HD in Vista Basic. Both my OS and
>BIOS have all the current and necessary updates. My main HD is a WD 80 GB
>SATA and hosts my operating system (Vista Basic). I basically want to add a
>secondary IDE drive that I can use for file storage. The second drive is made
>by HITACHI and is only 2 years old.
>
>The problem that I seem to have is that when I connect the second drive, it
>takes forever for Vista to boot up (10 minutes at least). I have the proper
>cable and I have tried setting the Jumper settings to every configuration
>possible. I have read and followed all the recommended settings for both the
>hard drive and motherboard but I still have had no luck. Is there something
>simple that I seem to be missing?
>
>When I use the same secondary HD in an external USB enclosure, it works
>perfectly and without any boot problems. I thought that it may be a faulty
>IDE slot on the motherboard so I purchased a PCI controller to try and
>correct the issue but still have the same problem.
>
>Has anyone else had this problem? Is it Vista specific or am I simply
>missing something in the installation process?
>
>Thanks for your time and input.

roy69

Re: Installing a second HD in Vista

Just to confirm if this is a sata or ide drive. Is the data cable slim
or wide. Can your motherboard see it correctly.
If your hardware is set up correctly as said in the above post check
your error logs.
Go into the start menu, right click on the computer icon and choose
manage.
You can now manage your disk, you may need to format the data drive.
As a note you can also look at the event viewer from this window which
will tell you about errors on your system.
Hope this helps

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
- CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
- Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
cb22

Re: Installing a second HD in Vista
Andy,

Thanks for the input. You solved it! Super simple fix when I look at it now.
Vista still gave me a "Missing Bootmgr" error when I started up however, I
just popped in the original install dvd and it repaired itself. It did hang
once when I tried to boot after the fix but all seems fine now.

Thanks so much more your help, you saved me countless hours of frustration
and probably my computer as I was about to throw it out the window.

Cheers!

"andy" wrote:

> Check the jumper for the WD drive. There is one setting for single
> drive, and another for dual (master), which is what you want.
> <http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=84>
>
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:28:02 -0800, cb22
> <cb22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello all,
> >
> >I am currently trying to install a second HD in Vista Basic. Both my OS and
> >BIOS have all the current and necessary updates. My main HD is a WD 80 GB
> >SATA and hosts my operating system (Vista Basic). I basically want to add a
> >secondary IDE drive that I can use for file storage. The second drive is made
> >by HITACHI and is only 2 years old.
> >
> >The problem that I seem to have is that when I connect the second drive, it
> >takes forever for Vista to boot up (10 minutes at least). I have the proper
> >cable and I have tried setting the Jumper settings to every configuration
> >possible. I have read and followed all the recommended settings for both the
> >hard drive and motherboard but I still have had no luck. Is there something
> >simple that I seem to be missing?
> >
> >When I use the same secondary HD in an external USB enclosure, it works
> >perfectly and without any boot problems. I thought that it may be a faulty
> >IDE slot on the motherboard so I purchased a PCI controller to try and
> >correct the issue but still have the same problem.
> >
> >Has anyone else had this problem? Is it Vista specific or am I simply
> >missing something in the installation process?
> >
> >Thanks for your time and input.

cb22

Re: Installing a second HD in Vista
roy69,

Thanks for the input. All is fixed! Thanks for the event viewer tip, I'm
sure that I will be using it in the future!

Cheers!