Reinstall in case of preinstalled Vista

Bostjan74

Reinstall in case of preinstalled Vista
I bought locally assembled PC with Vista Home Basic preinstalled on it. After
turning it on the first time, the installation started automatically and also
finished successfully.
On my old computers I was used to format the hard drive and reinstall
everything including Windows on regular basis, when I had some virus problem,
something was not working properly or there were just too much software there
I was not using any more.
With this preinstalled Vista I now don't know what to do. I was trying to
find the hidden partition that should contain installation files (with
diskpart), but it seems not to be there. Is it possible that the files were
automatically deleted after installation?

Because my idea was to format c: and then restart the PC in order to see the
installation start again. Now I'm too scared to do it :-)
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Reinstall in case of preinstalled Vista
"Is it possible that the files were automatically deleted after
installation?"
Probably not since without them rebuilding the computer would not be
possible.
However AFAIK, only major OEMs use that option.
If you bought the computer from a local shop, you probably should have
received the media.
Contact them, possibly they forgot to give you the media.

Are you sure the shop is legitimate?
If they are, they will easily explain to you how you will be able to
rebuild the system without returning the computer to them.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Bostjan74" <Bostjan74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought locally assembled PC with Vista Home Basic preinstalled on
>it. After
> turning it on the first time, the installation started automatically
> and also
> finished successfully.
> On my old computers I was used to format the hard drive and
> reinstall
> everything including Windows on regular basis, when I had some virus
> problem,
> something was not working properly or there were just too much
> software there
> I was not using any more.
> With this preinstalled Vista I now don't know what to do. I was
> trying to
> find the hidden partition that should contain installation files
> (with
> diskpart), but it seems not to be there. Is it possible that the
> files were
> automatically deleted after installation?
>
> Because my idea was to format c: and then restart the PC in order to
> see the
> installation start again. Now I'm too scared to do it :-)

Bostjan74

Re: Reinstall in case of preinstalled Vista
The shop is OK, they are just a little bit clumsy - the guy didn't know the
answer so suggested to download a pirate Vista and to have it ready for the
case of need...
I called Microsoft support also, where they told me that in case of
preinstalled Vista I have to get back to the shop....
Also weird if you ask me. Like there is some secret they cannot tell over
the phone?!

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> "Is it possible that the files were automatically deleted after
> installation?"
> Probably not since without them rebuilding the computer would not be
> possible.
> However AFAIK, only major OEMs use that option.
> If you bought the computer from a local shop, you probably should have
> received the media.
> Contact them, possibly they forgot to give you the media.
>
> Are you sure the shop is legitimate?
> If they are, they will easily explain to you how you will be able to
> rebuild the system without returning the computer to them.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>

> "Bostjan74" <Bostjan74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I bought locally assembled PC with Vista Home Basic preinstalled on
> >it. After
> > turning it on the first time, the installation started automatically
> > and also
> > finished successfully.
> > On my old computers I was used to format the hard drive and
> > reinstall
> > everything including Windows on regular basis, when I had some virus
> > problem,
> > something was not working properly or there were just too much
> > software there
> > I was not using any more.
> > With this preinstalled Vista I now don't know what to do. I was
> > trying to
> > find the hidden partition that should contain installation files
> > (with
> > diskpart), but it seems not to be there. Is it possible that the
> > files were
> > automatically deleted after installation?
> >
> > Because my idea was to format c: and then restart the PC in order to
> > see the
> > installation start again. Now I'm too scared to do it :-)

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Reinstall in case of preinstalled Vista
If the shop "suggested to download a pirate Vista".
then is is certain the shop is NOT "OK".
An OK shop would know the answer and a pirate copy is NOT at all
appropriate.
Contact the shop again and INSIST on the media.
An OK shop MUST include some option for you to restore the computer
that does not require you to use anything not already provided with
the computer.
Otherwise your only real option is to return the computer and also
possibly contact Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.aspx

Since you bought it from a shop, it is probably OEM.
And Microsoft can not help with your OEM.
It is no secret, but when you paid for OEM, part of it is that the OEM
and not Microsoft provide support.
One of the many reasons you paid less for your OEM.