getting key from microsoft

Malke

Re: getting key from microsoft
allan wrote:
> i have windows xp home preinstalled system. just a recovery cd.
> i replaced the cpu in the system, and it is now telling me that the key i
> have is no longer any good.
>
> after calling the 888 number that is listed in the activation screen,
> several times, most of the time i get disconected..
> the person on the other end, finally tells me to call a 800-642-7676 number.
> he also adds, they may give you a new number.
>
> so, what do i tell them to get a new key.

You need to contact the computer mftr. for help with their system. If
you changed the hardware on your OEM system the recovery disk may not
work any more. If you changed out a lot of the hardware (and really mean
more than just replacing the processor when you say "cpu"), then the OEM
version of Windows that came with your computer is no longer valid since
it was tied to the original hardware and you will need to purchase a
retail copy.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

allan wrote:
> i am kind of expecting them to tell me that i will not get a new key.
> i am downloading linux right now.

That's fine. If you are a Linux newbie, these links will be useful to you:

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/success_user.html
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/index.php

Malke

> allan wrote:
>> i have windows xp home preinstalled system. just a recovery cd.
>> i replaced the cpu in the system, and it is now telling me that the key i
>> have is no longer any good.
>>
>> after calling the 888 number that is listed in the activation screen,
>> several times, most of the time i get disconected..
>> the person on the other end, finally tells me to call a 800-642-7676
>> number.
>> he also adds, they may give you a new number.
>>
>> so, what do i tell them to get a new key.

> You need to contact the computer mftr. for help with their system. If you
> changed the hardware on your OEM system the recovery disk may not work any
> more. If you changed out a lot of the hardware (and really mean more than
> just replacing the processor when you say "cpu"), then the OEM version of
> Windows that came with your computer is no longer valid since it was tied
> to the original hardware and you will need to purchase a retail copy.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: getting key from microsoft
Is it possible you are telling the activation person to much
information and mistakenly leading them to believe you are installing
on a different computer?
Call back.
this time be careful what you say.
Only give what is asked for and no more.
To start with, all you did was upgrade the computer.
The rest is unnecessary.
If necessary, emphasize the fact it is the SAME computer.

Some volunteer to much information confusing the phone tech with
irrelevant information.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar