Vista Installation problem

W Schmoegner

Vista Installation problem
I'm having trouble getting Vista to install.

I already have XP Pro SP2 installed on the first partition. I'm attempting
to install and dual boot Vista on the other partition.

When I try to install Vista, I get as far as far as the extracting files and
restart portion to complete the install.
Then when it restart,s I get as far as about 3 passes on the green progress
bar. Then it just reboots.
It continues to do this. Vicious cycle.

I boot back into XP and examine the other partition, Vista files are there.

My Hardware specs
Abit AA8 Duramax motherboard
Pentium 4 D 631+ @ 3.0GHz (EM64T)
2GB A-Data Ram
400GB WD SATA HD(3 130GB partitions)
NEC SATA DVD
Off brand IDE DVD
Foxconn GE8400gs graphics card

XP Pro installed perfectly.

The Vista hardware compatibility test claims my hardware is good to go.

Anyone have any suggestions or answers?
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista Installation problem
You don't say HOW you are installing vista!

"W Schmoegner" wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting Vista to install.
>
> I already have XP Pro SP2 installed on the first partition. I'm attempting
> to install and dual boot Vista on the other partition.
>
> When I try to install Vista, I get as far as far as the extracting files and
> restart portion to complete the install.
> Then when it restart,s I get as far as about 3 passes on the green progress
> bar. Then it just reboots.
> It continues to do this. Vicious cycle.
>
> I boot back into XP and examine the other partition, Vista files are there.
>
> My Hardware specs
> Abit AA8 Duramax motherboard
> Pentium 4 D 631+ @ 3.0GHz (EM64T)
> 2GB A-Data Ram
> 400GB WD SATA HD(3 130GB partitions)
> NEC SATA DVD
> Off brand IDE DVD
> Foxconn GE8400gs graphics card
>
> XP Pro installed perfectly.
>
> The Vista hardware compatibility test claims my hardware is good to go.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions or answers?

W Schmoegner

RE: Vista Installation problem
I've tried it both ways.

Booting directly from the DVD and from XP.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> You don't say HOW you are installing vista!
>
> "W Schmoegner" wrote:
>
> > I'm having trouble getting Vista to install.
> >
> > I already have XP Pro SP2 installed on the first partition. I'm attempting
> > to install and dual boot Vista on the other partition.
> >
> > When I try to install Vista, I get as far as far as the extracting files and
> > restart portion to complete the install.
> > Then when it restart,s I get as far as about 3 passes on the green progress
> > bar. Then it just reboots.
> > It continues to do this. Vicious cycle.
> >
> > I boot back into XP and examine the other partition, Vista files are there.
> >
> > My Hardware specs
> > Abit AA8 Duramax motherboard
> > Pentium 4 D 631+ @ 3.0GHz (EM64T)
> > 2GB A-Data Ram
> > 400GB WD SATA HD(3 130GB partitions)
> > NEC SATA DVD
> > Off brand IDE DVD
> > Foxconn GE8400gs graphics card
> >
> > XP Pro installed perfectly.
> >
> > The Vista hardware compatibility test claims my hardware is good to go.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions or answers?

Paul Randall

Re: Vista Installation problem
Here is a link that will lead you to step by step info on many
dual-boot arrangements, including setting it up with XP installed
first.

http://apcmag.com/node/5162/

-Paul Randall

"W Schmoegner" <WSchmoegner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:32C077E6-3916-413B-B9AF-6674725E76BB@microsoft.com...
> I'm having trouble getting Vista to install.
>
> I already have XP Pro SP2 installed on the first partition. I'm
> attempting
> to install and dual boot Vista on the other partition.
>
> When I try to install Vista, I get as far as far as the extracting
> files and
> restart portion to complete the install.
> Then when it restart,s I get as far as about 3 passes on the green
> progress
> bar. Then it just reboots.
> It continues to do this. Vicious cycle.
>
> I boot back into XP and examine the other partition, Vista files are
> there.
>
> My Hardware specs
> Abit AA8 Duramax motherboard
> Pentium 4 D 631+ @ 3.0GHz (EM64T)
> 2GB A-Data Ram
> 400GB WD SATA HD(3 130GB partitions)
> NEC SATA DVD
> Off brand IDE DVD
> Foxconn GE8400gs graphics card
>
> XP Pro installed perfectly.
>
> The Vista hardware compatibility test claims my hardware is good to
> go.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions or answers?

W Schmoegner

Re: Vista Installation problem
Paul,
I fully understand how to setup a dual boot system. Have done quite a few.
The problem I have with Vista is I can't get passed the black screen with
the green scroll bar. It just scrolls for a while and just reboots. It
continues to do that for as long as I let it.

"Paul Randall" wrote:

> Here is a link that will lead you to step by step info on many
> dual-boot arrangements, including setting it up with XP installed
> first.
>
> http://apcmag.com/node/5162/
>
> -Paul Randall
>
> "W Schmoegner" <WSchmoegner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:32C077E6-3916-413B-B9AF-6674725E76BB@microsoft.com...
> > I'm having trouble getting Vista to install.
> >
> > I already have XP Pro SP2 installed on the first partition. I'm
> > attempting
> > to install and dual boot Vista on the other partition.
> >
> > When I try to install Vista, I get as far as far as the extracting
> > files and
> > restart portion to complete the install.
> > Then when it restart,s I get as far as about 3 passes on the green
> > progress
> > bar. Then it just reboots.
> > It continues to do this. Vicious cycle.
> >
> > I boot back into XP and examine the other partition, Vista files are
> > there.
> >
> > My Hardware specs
> > Abit AA8 Duramax motherboard
> > Pentium 4 D 631+ @ 3.0GHz (EM64T)
> > 2GB A-Data Ram
> > 400GB WD SATA HD(3 130GB partitions)
> > NEC SATA DVD
> > Off brand IDE DVD
> > Foxconn GE8400gs graphics card
> >
> > XP Pro installed perfectly.
> >
> > The Vista hardware compatibility test claims my hardware is good to
> > go.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions or answers?

Paul Randall

Re: Vista Installation problem
If you have read up on and understand the difference between setting
up a Vista dual boot system with XP installed first and Vista
installed first, and have ruled out dual booting as the problem, then
you may want to try getting a single-boot Vista system working by
installing it on a separate hard drive without XP there to confust
things. Removing all USB devices and anything else not necessary for
the installation, and reducing memory to only one stick, often helps
to prove whether Vista will actually work with your hardware. And of
course, Upgrade Advisor is only an advisor -- it cannot be
all-knowing.

message news:1FEE6C2D-AC2C-42DC-B8E4-51A16C268318@microsoft.com...
> Paul,
> I fully understand how to setup a dual boot system. Have done quite
> a few.
> The problem I have with Vista is I can't get passed the black screen
> with
> the green scroll bar. It just scrolls for a while and just reboots.
> It
> continues to do that for as long as I let it.
>
> "Paul Randall" wrote:
>
>> Here is a link that will lead you to step by step info on many
>> dual-boot arrangements, including setting it up with XP installed
>> first.
>>
>> http://apcmag.com/node/5162/
>>
>> -Paul Randall
>>
>> "W Schmoegner" <WSchmoegner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:32C077E6-3916-413B-B9AF-6674725E76BB@microsoft.com...
>> > I'm having trouble getting Vista to install.
>> >
>> > I already have XP Pro SP2 installed on the first partition. I'm
>> > attempting
>> > to install and dual boot Vista on the other partition.
>> >
>> > When I try to install Vista, I get as far as far as the
>> > extracting
>> > files and
>> > restart portion to complete the install.
>> > Then when it restart,s I get as far as about 3 passes on the
>> > green
>> > progress
>> > bar. Then it just reboots.
>> > It continues to do this. Vicious cycle.
>> >
>> > I boot back into XP and examine the other partition, Vista files
>> > are
>> > there.
>> >
>> > My Hardware specs
>> > Abit AA8 Duramax motherboard
>> > Pentium 4 D 631+ @ 3.0GHz (EM64T)
>> > 2GB A-Data Ram
>> > 400GB WD SATA HD(3 130GB partitions)
>> > NEC SATA DVD
>> > Off brand IDE DVD
>> > Foxconn GE8400gs graphics card
>> >
>> > XP Pro installed perfectly.
>> >
>> > The Vista hardware compatibility test claims my hardware is good
>> > go.
>> >
>> > Anyone have any suggestions or answers?

W Schmoegner

Re: Vista Installation problem
Bump, anyone?

"Paul Randall" wrote:

> If you have read up on and understand the difference between setting
> up a Vista dual boot system with XP installed first and Vista
> installed first, and have ruled out dual booting as the problem, then
> you may want to try getting a single-boot Vista system working by
> installing it on a separate hard drive without XP there to confust
> things. Removing all USB devices and anything else not necessary for
> the installation, and reducing memory to only one stick, often helps
> to prove whether Vista will actually work with your hardware. And of
> course, Upgrade Advisor is only an advisor -- it cannot be
> all-knowing.
>
> -Paul Randall
>
> "W Schmoegner" <WSchmoegner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:1FEE6C2D-AC2C-42DC-B8E4-51A16C268318@microsoft.com...
> > Paul,
> > I fully understand how to setup a dual boot system. Have done quite
> > a few.
> > The problem I have with Vista is I can't get passed the black screen
> > with
> > the green scroll bar. It just scrolls for a while and just reboots.
> > It
> > continues to do that for as long as I let it.
> >
> > "Paul Randall" wrote:
> >
> >> Here is a link that will lead you to step by step info on many
> >> dual-boot arrangements, including setting it up with XP installed
> >> first.
> >>
> >> http://apcmag.com/node/5162/
> >>
> >> -Paul Randall
> >>
> >> "W Schmoegner" <WSchmoegner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:32C077E6-3916-413B-B9AF-6674725E76BB@microsoft.com...

Rene.da.1.n.only@gmail.com

Re: Vista Installation problem
On Dec 27, 3:19*am, W Schmoegner
<WSchmoeg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Bump, anyone?
>

> "Paul Randall" wrote:
> > If you have read up on and understand the difference between setting
> > up a Vista dual boot system with XP installed first and Vista
> > installed first, and have ruled out dual booting as the problem, then
> > you may want to try getting a single-boot Vista system working by
> > installing it on a separate hard drive without XP there to confust
> > things. *Removing all USB devices and anything else not necessary for
> > the installation, and reducing memory to only one stick, often helps
> > to prove whether Vista will actually work with your hardware. *And of
> > course, Upgrade Advisor is only an advisor -- it cannot be
> > all-knowing.

> > -Paul Randall

> > "W Schmoegner" <WSchmoeg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > messagenews:1FEE6C2D-AC2C-42DC-B8E4-51A16C268318@microsoft.com...
> > > Paul,
> > > I fully understand how to setup a dual boot system. Have done quite
> > > a few.
> > > The problem I have with Vista is I can't get passed the black screen
> > > with
> > > the green scroll bar. It just scrolls for a while and just reboots.
> > > It
> > > continues to do that for as long as I let it.

hmmm u seem to be getting the exact same problem as me. The Difference
is that unlike your 'vicious circle' my green bar just stays put
there. Strangely this is only happening with DVDs ! Infact I have
tried that installation with a Vista Home Premium and 3 Vista
Ultimates (all seperate and working .iso's I grabbed from the net).
Even other type of Bootable DVDs like PCLinuxOS 2007 and Mepis Linux
which come on DVDs with PC World dont boot. See if you are
experiencing the same problem with other bootable DVDs.See this video
I uploaded of one of my sad attempts to install Vista ..... dont
forget to mute the sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-omNJm_LiNM

P.S. - What is vicious circle .... ? I never paid much attention to
Economics class of late.