Question about Upgrade version

tsonka

Question about Upgrade version
I have been reading about the upgrade version of Home premium and have a
question.

Whenever i finally decide on what Im going to get and I install a new OS
(Vista), I dont want any reminants of XP still around, I want a 100% fresh
clean install. I understand that I can pop in the "Upgrade" disc in a PC that
has XP on it, chose "custom" install and preform my clean install.

My question is: When I buy Vista Im also going to replace my hard drive, it
is 3ish years old and now would be a good time to do it. With a new hard
drive will I have to install XP first then install Vista, or is there a way I
can go straight to the Vista upgrade disc and work it from there?
Dwarf

RE: Question about Upgrade version
Hi tsonka,

If you follow the instructions in my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista Using
Upgrade Media', also in this newsgroup (dated 9/21/2007), you can install
Vista without having any remnants of a previous operating system on your
machine.
Dwarf

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-5eb74dcf2be7

"tsonka" wrote:

> I have been reading about the upgrade version of Home premium and have a
> question.
>
> Whenever i finally decide on what Im going to get and I install a new OS
> (Vista), I dont want any reminants of XP still around, I want a 100% fresh
> clean install. I understand that I can pop in the "Upgrade" disc in a PC that
> has XP on it, chose "custom" install and preform my clean install.
>

> My question is: When I buy Vista Im also going to replace my hard drive, it
> is 3ish years old and now would be a good time to do it. With a new hard
> drive will I have to install XP first then install Vista, or is there a way I
> can go straight to the Vista upgrade disc and work it from there?

Noel

RE: Question about Upgrade version
No. You can do a clean install with the upgrade. You install it twice. First
time do enter product key, second time enter product key. I bought the retail
full version
so I do not have to mess with that. I have the full version of Ultimate to
and the support is fantastic. My DVDs wre cracking and Microsoft replaced
them with a new product key for free. They did not even charge me for
shipping. Home Premium replacement DVD is $23.00 plus shipping.

"tsonka" wrote:

> I have been reading about the upgrade version of Home premium and have a
> question.
>
> Whenever i finally decide on what Im going to get and I install a new OS
> (Vista), I dont want any reminants of XP still around, I want a 100% fresh
> clean install. I understand that I can pop in the "Upgrade" disc in a PC that
> has XP on it, chose "custom" install and preform my clean install.
>

> My question is: When I buy Vista Im also going to replace my hard drive, it
> is 3ish years old and now would be a good time to do it. With a new hard
> drive will I have to install XP first then install Vista, or is there a way I
> can go straight to the Vista upgrade disc and work it from there?

Noel

RE: Question about Upgrade version
It should read first time do not enter product key