Wont Shut Down

Cellu Lloyd

Wont Shut Down
After setting up my new Sony Vaio FZ21Z everything works superbly EXCEPT the
thing won't shut down or do a shutdown/restart.
It goes through the "Windows is Shutting Down" routine, but once the hard
drive light stops flickering it just sits there. It always starts up
perfectly if I force it off, with no messages about "didn't shut down
normally".
I'm guessing it's hanging on something ... how do I check/fix?
Many thanks for any help.....

PvdG42

Re: Wont Shut Down
"Cellu Lloyd" <NoReplies@Anytime.ta> wrote in message
> After setting up my new Sony Vaio FZ21Z everything works superbly EXCEPT
> the thing won't shut down or do a shutdown/restart.
> It goes through the "Windows is Shutting Down" routine, but once the hard
> drive light stops flickering it just sits there. It always starts up
> perfectly if I force it off, with no messages about "didn't shut down
> normally".
> I'm guessing it's hanging on something ... how do I check/fix?
> Many thanks for any help.....

I don't know if this will help you, but I had a similar situation with my
Gateway laptop and this helped:

Control Panel->Power Options->Choose what the Power Button does...

Mine was set to Hibernate for both battery and PS power. I changed the
settings to Shut Down and the Gateway starting shutting down properly.

Cellu Lloyd

Re: Wont Shut Down
> I don't know if this will help you, but I had a similar situation with my
> Gateway laptop and this helped:
>
> Control Panel->Power Options->Choose what the Power Button does...
>
> Mine was set to Hibernate for both battery and PS power. I changed the
> settings to Shut Down and the Gateway starting shutting down properly.

Thanks for that )
I changed the setting to give me a shut-down off the button, which is more
convenient than going through the usual routine. Stll hung, but it's
slightly less irritating ;o)
Then downloaded PCTools Registry Mechanic. This found a whole raft of
problems and claimed to fix them.
It now shuts down completely, but it still sits there for about four minutes
after hard disk activity stops - so I guess there's still a glitch
somewhere.
But it's going in the right direction.....

TFYH

Cellu Lloyd

Re: Wont Shut Down

"Cellu Lloyd" <NoReplies@Anytime.ta> wrote in message
> After setting up my new Sony Vaio FZ21Z everything works superbly EXCEPT
> the thing won't shut down or do a shutdown/restart.
> It goes through the "Windows is Shutting Down" routine, but once the hard
> drive light stops flickering it just sits there. It always starts up
> perfectly if I force it off, with no messages about "didn't shut down
> normally".
> I'm guessing it's hanging on something ... how do I check/fix?
> Many thanks for any help.....

Finally solved, thanks to e-support.
The problem was Z-San ... drivers for Netgear's wireless RAID HDD unit.
Disabling Z-San got everything going again, but for the time being I'm
missing 500gB of mirrored storage (

AtGS

RE: Wont Shut Down
I am having almost the exact same problem, is it just a matter of finding out
which driver is erroring? Where did you go to get your solution?

Thank you.