Can't do partition in windows vista home premium

lnfinexx@gmail.com

Can't do partition in windows vista home premium
i tried to do partition in my primary drive. After I shrink volume, I
get 20gb of unallocated space. But when I start new simple volume
wizard until the final step, I was prompted with error message that "
the operation you selected will convert basic disk to dynamic disk".
When I select yes, operation can not be performed. I cannot format the
drive and thus cannot use the unallocated space. Can anyone suggest to
me how to do partition in windows vista home premium?
philo

Re: Can't do partition in windows vista home premium

<lnfinexx@gmail.com> wrote in message
> i tried to do partition in my primary drive. After I shrink volume, I
> get 20gb of unallocated space. But when I start new simple volume
> wizard until the final step, I was prompted with error message that "
> the operation you selected will convert basic disk to dynamic disk".
> When I select yes, operation can not be performed. I cannot format the
> drive and thus cannot use the unallocated space. Can anyone suggest to
> me how to do partition in windows vista home premium?

Don't know what happened...but I advise you *not* to take any option which
involves conversion to a dynamic disk!

Noel

RE: Can't do partition in windows vista home premium
Best way to create partitions is at the beginning of the install. I have
Maxtor hard drives and they provide software to do that within Vista or XP.
--
Quad Core

"lnfinexx@gmail.com" wrote:

> i tried to do partition in my primary drive. After I shrink volume, I
> get 20gb of unallocated space. But when I start new simple volume
> wizard until the final step, I was prompted with error message that "
> the operation you selected will convert basic disk to dynamic disk".
> When I select yes, operation can not be performed. I cannot format the
> drive and thus cannot use the unallocated space. Can anyone suggest to
> me how to do partition in windows vista home premium?

Norman Diamond

Re: Can't do partition in windows vista home premium
If your hard drive doesn't yet have partitions created by Vista, then here
are two ways. If you boot a Windows XP SP2 CD and select the repair console
then you can create and format partitions. If you boot a Knoppix CD then
you can create partitions and Vista will format them.

If your hard drive already has partitions created by Vista then Knoppix's
fdisk tool can display them with warnings, but I wouldn't dare try to mess
with them. I'd rather repave the hard drive and start over by creating all
new partitions.

If your hard drive already has partitions created by Vista then XP gives
error messages. Microsoft's Help and Support says sorry, Microsoft has no
knowledge of Microsoft's screwup.