Stopping programs at staartup

Ian M

Stopping programs at staartup
I have a compaq notebook running Vista Home Premium. Unfortunately the PC
was bought in Spain and has Spanish OS which I don't fully understand! When
I boot the PC it always starts HP Quickplay DVD player automatically and try
as I have, I can't stop it doing this (there is NO dvd in the slot). Anyone
any ideas (either in English or Spanish). Thanks for any help.
Malke

Re: Stopping programs at staartup
Ian M wrote:
> I have a compaq notebook running Vista Home Premium. Unfortunately the PC
> was bought in Spain and has Spanish OS which I don't fully understand! When
> I boot the PC it always starts HP Quickplay DVD player automatically and try
> as I have, I can't stop it doing this (there is NO dvd in the slot). Anyone
> any ideas (either in English or Spanish). Thanks for any help.

The first place to manage startup is always from within the programs
themselves. Open each program and look for Options or Preferences. Most
programs will have an option to not start with Windows.

If you really can't find a startup option in a program, then use the
System Configuration Utility.

Start Orb>Start Search box>msconfig [enter]

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation,
type the password, or click Continue. Then see what is on the Startup
tab. Uncheck the box next to the name of the program you wish to prevent
starting with Windows, Apply and OK out. You don't need to restart
immediately, but the next time you do you'll get a dialog saying you've
used the Utility. Usually in Vista this will be blocked by Windows
Defender and you'll need to allow it so you can then tick the box that
says in effect, "don't bother me about this again".

Important - Do not use the System Configuration Utility to stop
processes. Instead, use Start>Run>services.msc [enter] and do not stop
any services unless you really, really know what you're doing.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Drew

Re: Stopping programs at staartup
Another way I have found is to download winpatrol from BillP studios
(winpatrol.com)..This is a excellent program that will allow you better
control over many aspects of your computer including stopping programs from
starting...you can even set them to delay start....Check it out you will not
be sorry !!...Just my 3 cents........