Windows Easy Transfer Companion: US English only?

Mike B

Windows Easy Transfer Companion: US English only?
I'm about to purchase a new Vista system, and would like an easy way to
transfer all my data from my old XP SP2 machine. I like the potential of the
Windows Easy Transfer Companion, but I just tried to install it on my XP
machine and was told that it's for the US English version only! If so, how
ridiculous! Perhaps I'm using the UK English or International English
version, but really -- I think I can cope with US English!

Is there really no possibility of using Windows Easy Transfer Companion?

Thanks,

Mike

Mick Murphy

RE: Windows Easy Transfer Companion: US English only?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928634/en-us

The above is directions on how to use WET.
People have a lot of trouble with it.

Why not just burn your Data to CD, or copy it to Memory stick, or exteranl
drive?
You can always redo your personal settings.
Email contacts and messages you can save to a file in XP comp, and them like
Data.

"Mike B" wrote:

> I'm about to purchase a new Vista system, and would like an easy way to
> transfer all my data from my old XP SP2 machine. I like the potential of the
> Windows Easy Transfer Companion, but I just tried to install it on my XP
> machine and was told that it's for the US English version only! If so, how
> ridiculous! Perhaps I'm using the UK English or International English
> version, but really -- I think I can cope with US English!
>
> Is there really no possibility of using Windows Easy Transfer Companion?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Mike B

RE: Windows Easy Transfer Companion: US English only?
So, do I just run the utility from within Vista (when I get it) and the
necessary instructions will be provided? What I've done so far is download
this:

on my XP SP2 machine, but when I run what is installed, it says you need a
US English version of XP... so do I not need the above?

Like you say, I might just use other means to get files across. I do use a
backup tool that should make it relatively straightforward, but I thought
that it would be even more painless if I used what was provided with the new
OS.

Thanks,

Mike

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> The above is directions on how to use WET.
> People have a lot of trouble with it.
>
> Why not just burn your Data to CD, or copy it to Memory stick, or exteranl
> drive?
> You can always redo your personal settings.
> Email contacts and messages you can save to a file in XP comp, and them like
> Data.
>
> "Mike B" wrote:
>
> > I'm about to purchase a new Vista system, and would like an easy way to
> > transfer all my data from my old XP SP2 machine. I like the potential of the
> > Windows Easy Transfer Companion, but I just tried to install it on my XP
> > machine and was told that it's for the US English version only! If so, how
> > ridiculous! Perhaps I'm using the UK English or International English
> > version, but really -- I think I can cope with US English!
> >
> > Is there really no possibility of using Windows Easy Transfer Companion?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike

Mick Murphy

RE: Windows Easy Transfer Companion: US English only?
Why don't you use use Nero Express 6.6 to burn your Data?

"Mike B" wrote:

> So, do I just run the utility from within Vista (when I get it) and the
> necessary instructions will be provided? What I've done so far is download
> this:

> on my XP SP2 machine, but when I run what is installed, it says you need a
> US English version of XP... so do I not need the above?
>
> Like you say, I might just use other means to get files across. I do use a
> backup tool that should make it relatively straightforward, but I thought
> that it would be even more painless if I used what was provided with the new
> OS.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>

> "Mick Murphy" wrote:

> > The above is directions on how to use WET.
> > People have a lot of trouble with it.
> >
> > Why not just burn your Data to CD, or copy it to Memory stick, or exteranl
> > drive?
> > You can always redo your personal settings.
> > Email contacts and messages you can save to a file in XP comp, and them like
> > Data.
> >
> > "Mike B" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm about to purchase a new Vista system, and would like an easy way to
> > > transfer all my data from my old XP SP2 machine. I like the potential of the
> > > Windows Easy Transfer Companion, but I just tried to install it on my XP
> > > machine and was told that it's for the US English version only! If so, how
> > > ridiculous! Perhaps I'm using the UK English or International English
> > > version, but really -- I think I can cope with US English!
> > >
> > > Is there really no possibility of using Windows Easy Transfer Companion?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Mike

Mike B

RE: Windows Easy Transfer Companion: US English only?
Well, because I assume that this Easy Transfer tool is meant to make the
process completely painless, and perhaps provide some added value. Like
making sure you don't forget data and settings squirreled away in strange
places before you wipe your old hard disk and then 2 months later go "oh
jeez, where are my settings files gone?... I spent years setting things up
the way I like". No?

Anyone have anything good to say about this tool, or can address the
questions about Windows Easy Transfer Companion that I'm actually asking here?

Mike

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Why don't you use use Nero Express 6.6 to burn your Data?
>
> "Mike B" wrote:
>
> > So, do I just run the utility from within Vista (when I get it) and the
> > necessary instructions will be provided? What I've done so far is download
> > this:
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
> >
> > on my XP SP2 machine, but when I run what is installed, it says you need a
> > US English version of XP... so do I not need the above?
> >
> > Like you say, I might just use other means to get files across. I do use a
> > backup tool that should make it relatively straightforward, but I thought
> > that it would be even more painless if I used what was provided with the new
> > OS.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike
> >

> > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928634/en-us
> > >
> > > The above is directions on how to use WET.
> > > People have a lot of trouble with it.
> > >
> > > Why not just burn your Data to CD, or copy it to Memory stick, or exteranl
> > > drive?
> > > You can always redo your personal settings.
> > > Email contacts and messages you can save to a file in XP comp, and them like
> > > Data.

Vik

RE: Windows Easy Transfer Companion: US English only?
Hello Mike,

Windows Easy Transfer Companion will only migrate a set of pre-defined apps.
It does not migrate Data nor OS settings. For that you need to run Windows
Easy Transfer that ship with Vista (Start, All Programs, Accessories, System
Tools, Windows Easy Transfer). WET (not WETC) is what you are looking to do
first in order to move your data and settings. Follow up later with WETC for
Apps.

Cheers!
-Vik