AHCI Conflict in Dell

kausbose

AHCI Conflict in Dell
I bought a new computer from Dell, the Inspiron 1720. It came preinstalled
with Vista Home Premium and it was running fine. I had an installation disc
for Vista Ultimate and it was running fine. I wasn't happy with the way the
drive was partitioned, so I decided to install a version of Vista Ultimate
from scratch. I formatted and repartitioned the drive and reinstalled Vista.
The reinstallation was the beginning of all my woes. Upon reinstallation I
would be presented with the BSOD at each restart and was given error number
0x000007B. I changed my SATA controller to ATA mode, rather than the default
AHCI mode and my system boots and works fine. I was unable to find any tips
from any where to get the computer to boot in AHCI mode. I tried the
resolution suggested in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 922976
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976), but that doesn't help either. It
turns out that the AHCI driver was started up in Vista. I have tried the Dell
community but to no help. If someone could please help me as to how I could
get my computer to boot in AHCI mode in Vista Ultimate?

Thanks,
KausBose
Thomas Wendell

Re: AHCI Conflict in Dell

"kausbose" <kausbose@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:810D07D4-5181-4AAB-953A-4FB6DFBC9837@microsoft.com...
> I bought a new computer from Dell, the Inspiron 1720. It came preinstalled
> with Vista Home Premium and it was running fine. I had an installation
> disc
> for Vista Ultimate and it was running fine. I wasn't happy with the way
> the
> drive was partitioned, so I decided to install a version of Vista Ultimate
> from scratch. I formatted and repartitioned the drive and reinstalled
> Vista.
> The reinstallation was the beginning of all my woes. Upon reinstallation I
> would be presented with the BSOD at each restart and was given error
> number
> 0x000007B. I changed my SATA controller to ATA mode, rather than the
> default
> AHCI mode and my system boots and works fine. I was unable to find any
> tips
> from any where to get the computer to boot in AHCI mode. I tried the
> resolution suggested in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 922976
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976), but that doesn't help either. It
> turns out that the AHCI driver was started up in Vista. I have tried the
> Dell
> community but to no help. If someone could please help me as to how I
> could
> get my computer to boot in AHCI mode in Vista Ultimate?
>
> Thanks,
> KausBose

You need to "slipstream" that AHCI-mode driver to the Vista install-DVD.
I don't know about Dells, but I guess it could be the "Intel Matrix Storage
Driver" found on the Dell support pages...

--
Tumppiw