Vista Ultimate upgrade: day 5.......

rebell

Vista Ultimate upgrade: day 5.......
Well, I have attempted in every way to install Ultimate Upgrade on my new HP
Slimline computer (w/Vista Home Edition) and am still getting bumped out. I
am typing this message from my home computer because I have also taken the
computer back to its original, out-of-the-box, new state hoping that this
would solve the problem. It has not! I am kicked back to 'original,
installed version of windows'.

I have disconnected all USB devices, TV cable, checked device manager for
conflicts, and off course, turned off my spam blocker/anti-spam ware, and
attempted the 'ol clean install (boot from disk). Nothing! (BTW, there
appears to be a step missing from the clean install instructions: when going
from step 4 to step 5, the onscreen instructions asks how to partition the
install, either to the HP 289MB or 8.8MB @#$! or something. The instructions
read as if the program takes off on its own and begins the install after step
4 (it did not for me.) Nor did I ever get to a 2nd entry point to type in
the software's serial number (1st point instructs not to enter but to skip).
Regardless, I am left with a new, $200+ new copy of Vista Upgrade that for
all practical purposes, is worthless.

The only thing I am left to consider as the fault is the element of time. I
purchased the upgrade last May or June (from Staples or Officemax) and
attempted to install it on my old, 6-year-old Gateway (w/XP) only to find out
that the hardware was insufficient (had not first checked the Online
Advisor). Knowing I was getting a new computer in September, I simply
'shelved' the new, uninstalled software. Only this past Sunday have I
attemtped to install my upgrade - nearly six months after purchasing.
Question: Is there some sort of 'must install from date-of-purchase'
requirement from Microsoft imposed on the acquistion of Vista? Is there
someone I need to call?

ReBell

PS: thanks to everyone who has attempted to help - I have been a user of
Microsoft since the early '90s and have never had this much frustration with
any one of its previous upgrades.
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista Ultimate upgrade: day 5.......
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...l-upgrade.html

The above is shaun's(brink) link on how to do it.

Time is not a factor for the software use by date..

"rebell" wrote:

> Well, I have attempted in every way to install Ultimate Upgrade on my new HP
> Slimline computer (w/Vista Home Edition) and am still getting bumped out. I
> am typing this message from my home computer because I have also taken the
> computer back to its original, out-of-the-box, new state hoping that this
> would solve the problem. It has not! I am kicked back to 'original,
> installed version of windows'.
>
> I have disconnected all USB devices, TV cable, checked device manager for
> conflicts, and off course, turned off my spam blocker/anti-spam ware, and
> attempted the 'ol clean install (boot from disk). Nothing! (BTW, there
> appears to be a step missing from the clean install instructions: when going
> from step 4 to step 5, the onscreen instructions asks how to partition the
> install, either to the HP 289MB or 8.8MB @#$! or something. The instructions
> read as if the program takes off on its own and begins the install after step
> 4 (it did not for me.) Nor did I ever get to a 2nd entry point to type in
> the software's serial number (1st point instructs not to enter but to skip).
> Regardless, I am left with a new, $200+ new copy of Vista Upgrade that for
> all practical purposes, is worthless.
>
> The only thing I am left to consider as the fault is the element of time. I
> purchased the upgrade last May or June (from Staples or Officemax) and
> attempted to install it on my old, 6-year-old Gateway (w/XP) only to find out
> that the hardware was insufficient (had not first checked the Online
> Advisor). Knowing I was getting a new computer in September, I simply
> 'shelved' the new, uninstalled software. Only this past Sunday have I
> attemtped to install my upgrade - nearly six months after purchasing.
> Question: Is there some sort of 'must install from date-of-purchase'
> requirement from Microsoft imposed on the acquistion of Vista? Is there
> someone I need to call?
>
> ReBell
>
> PS: thanks to everyone who has attempted to help - I have been a user of
> Microsoft since the early '90s and have never had this much frustration with
> any one of its previous upgrades.

rebell

Mick - You 'da Man!!!
My Vista Ultimate Upgrade 'took' on my first attempt this morning!!! Don't
know for sure which step in the clean install I failed to make in previous
attempts, but for sure I am there! I had rather sandpaper a bobcat's rear
end before having to go through this process (Upgrade Vistas Home to
Ultimate) again!

Need to ask a couple of questions: while going through this process, I
actually zapped my computer back to its original, out-of-box configuration.
In the process, I zapped a recently installed version of the new Office
Professional 2007. Will I have re-activation issues with this software when
I re-install - will Microsoft deny me another 'load'? BTW, just how PC's may
I legally install the new Office on?

Second, I had Microsoft OneCare on my computer before the upgrade and had
made a total backup of all my old files and programs. First, will Microsoft
allow be to reinstall the OneCare itself without penalty and may I restore
the individual files from the backup, for instance, MS Money, Word, Excel,
etc. etc.; without doing a 'global' restore?

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...l-upgrade.html
>
> The above is shaun's(brink) link on how to do it.
>

> Time is not a factor for the software use by date..
>
> "rebell" wrote:
>
> > Well, I have attempted in every way to install Ultimate Upgrade on my new HP
> > Slimline computer (w/Vista Home Edition) and am still getting bumped out. I
> > am typing this message from my home computer because I have also taken the
> > computer back to its original, out-of-the-box, new state hoping that this
> > would solve the problem. It has not! I am kicked back to 'original,
> > installed version of windows'.
> >
> > I have disconnected all USB devices, TV cable, checked device manager for
> > conflicts, and off course, turned off my spam blocker/anti-spam ware, and
> > attempted the 'ol clean install (boot from disk). Nothing! (BTW, there
> > appears to be a step missing from the clean install instructions: when going
> > from step 4 to step 5, the onscreen instructions asks how to partition the
> > install, either to the HP 289MB or 8.8MB @#$! or something. The instructions
> > read as if the program takes off on its own and begins the install after step
> > 4 (it did not for me.) Nor did I ever get to a 2nd entry point to type in
> > the software's serial number (1st point instructs not to enter but to skip).
> > Regardless, I am left with a new, $200+ new copy of Vista Upgrade that for
> > all practical purposes, is worthless.
> >
> > The only thing I am left to consider as the fault is the element of time. I
> > purchased the upgrade last May or June (from Staples or Officemax) and
> > attempted to install it on my old, 6-year-old Gateway (w/XP) only to find out
> > that the hardware was insufficient (had not first checked the Online
> > Advisor). Knowing I was getting a new computer in September, I simply
> > 'shelved' the new, uninstalled software. Only this past Sunday have I
> > attemtped to install my upgrade - nearly six months after purchasing.
> > Question: Is there some sort of 'must install from date-of-purchase'
> > requirement from Microsoft imposed on the acquistion of Vista? Is there
> > someone I need to call?
> >
> > ReBell
> >
> > PS: thanks to everyone who has attempted to help - I have been a user of
> > Microsoft since the early '90s and have never had this much frustration with
> > any one of its previous upgrades.

Tomtomz

Re: Vista Ultimate upgrade: day 5.......

You should be able to restore those programs back onto your computer
without any troubles. Your computer is pretty much the same except for
the operating system, so it should be fine. I believe that Office can
be installed on 3 PCs.

--
Tomtomz