Still unable to upgrade to Vista Ultimate......

rebell

Still unable to upgrade to Vista Ultimate......
I unplugged all of my USB periphials and attempted the upgrade again to no
avail - got message simply stating upgrade attemtp failed. Any other
suggestions?

ReBell

my original post-
I have a brand new HP computer with a duo core AMD processor & over 3k of
RAM. The system came with Vista Home Edition pre-installed. I have
attempted to
upgrade 3 times unsuccessfully. I get 'bump out' with the recurring
statement at the bottom of the screen reads "installation of Vista Ultyimate
unsuccessfull, you will be returned to your previous version momentarily".
No further explanation is given. I have ran Microsoft's online upgrade
advisor and it actually recommends the Ultimate Version. BTW, the upgrade
itself is brand new - purchased last week at Staples an just opened. Any
help would be appreciated
Dominic Payer

Re: Still unable to upgrade to Vista Ultimate......
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

"rebell" <rebell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I unplugged all of my USB periphials and attempted the upgrade again to no
> avail - got message simply stating upgrade attemtp failed. Any other
> suggestions?
>
> ReBell
>
> my original post-
> I have a brand new HP computer with a duo core AMD processor & over 3k of
> RAM. The system came with Vista Home Edition pre-installed. I have
> attempted to
> upgrade 3 times unsuccessfully. I get 'bump out' with the recurring
> statement at the bottom of the screen reads "installation of Vista
> Ultyimate
> unsuccessfull, you will be returned to your previous version momentarily".
> No further explanation is given. I have ran Microsoft's online upgrade
> advisor and it actually recommends the Ultimate Version. BTW, the upgrade
> itself is brand new - purchased last week at Staples an just opened. Any
> help would be appreciated

rebell

Re: Still unable to upgrade to Vista Ultimate......
I do not think my computer meets the requirements outlined in the update.
Specifically, the RAM is just under 3MB. The computer is the HP Slimline
3120n. In other ideas or suggestions?

ReBell

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777
>

> "rebell" <rebell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I unplugged all of my USB periphials and attempted the upgrade again to no
> > avail - got message simply stating upgrade attemtp failed. Any other
> > suggestions?
> >
> > ReBell
> >
> > my original post-
> > I have a brand new HP computer with a duo core AMD processor & over 3k of
> > RAM. The system came with Vista Home Edition pre-installed. I have
> > attempted to
> > upgrade 3 times unsuccessfully. I get 'bump out' with the recurring
> > statement at the bottom of the screen reads "installation of Vista
> > Ultyimate
> > unsuccessfull, you will be returned to your previous version momentarily".
> > No further explanation is given. I have ran Microsoft's online upgrade
> > advisor and it actually recommends the Ultimate Version. BTW, the upgrade
> > itself is brand new - purchased last week at Staples an just opened. Any
> > help would be appreciated

rebell

Re: Still unable to upgrade to Vista Ultimate......
I do not think my computer meets the requirements outlined in the update.
Specifically, the RAM is just under 3MB. The computer is the HP Slimline
3120n. In other ideas or suggestions? I did attempt downloading/installing
the update and it did not 'take'.

ReBell

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777
>

> "rebell" <rebell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I unplugged all of my USB periphials and attempted the upgrade again to no
> > avail - got message simply stating upgrade attemtp failed. Any other
> > suggestions?
> >
> > ReBell
> >
> > my original post-
> > I have a brand new HP computer with a duo core AMD processor & over 3k of
> > RAM. The system came with Vista Home Edition pre-installed. I have
> > attempted to
> > upgrade 3 times unsuccessfully. I get 'bump out' with the recurring
> > statement at the bottom of the screen reads "installation of Vista
> > Ultyimate
> > unsuccessfull, you will be returned to your previous version momentarily".
> > No further explanation is given. I have ran Microsoft's online upgrade
> > advisor and it actually recommends the Ultimate Version. BTW, the upgrade
> > itself is brand new - purchased last week at Staples an just opened. Any
> > help would be appreciated

lizardliz

RE: Still unable to upgrade to Vista Ultimate......
I had this same issue with Vista Ultimate. 4 installation attempts and it
just gives up. All it says is that I "blah blah installation failed, old OS
will be restored etc etc" and then no further error messages or a event list
of what went wrong. I tried everything even uninstalling "non-essential"
things on my computer. I refuse to do a clean installation, it HAS to be an
upgrade. And as far as I can tell there is no trouble shooting guide in the
support center at all for this problem. What do i do now?

PC specs:
Dell XPS 400
3 GHz, 4GB of RAM
Currently Running XP Media Center Edition SP2
ATI Radeon X1650 XT Graphics card
42.5 GB of free space left on HD

I thought I had a great computer and after running the vista upgrade advisor
I thought I was golden. I'm at the end of my rope here and debating on
whether or not to forget the whole thing and get my money back.

Any suggestions?

"rebell" wrote:

> I unplugged all of my USB periphials and attempted the upgrade again to no
> avail - got message simply stating upgrade attemtp failed. Any other
> suggestions?
>
> ReBell
>
> my original post-
> I have a brand new HP computer with a duo core AMD processor & over 3k of
> RAM. The system came with Vista Home Edition pre-installed. I have
> attempted to
> upgrade 3 times unsuccessfully. I get 'bump out' with the recurring
> statement at the bottom of the screen reads "installation of Vista Ultyimate
> unsuccessfull, you will be returned to your previous version momentarily".
> No further explanation is given. I have ran Microsoft's online upgrade
> advisor and it actually recommends the Ultimate Version. BTW, the upgrade
> itself is brand new - purchased last week at Staples an just opened. Any
> help would be appreciated

rebell

lizardliz - well, I finally upgraded successfully this morning!...
I did the clean install for the fourth time and really cannot tell what I did
different from previous attempts. What was scary was that the step-for-step
directions from 3 different board members varied somewhat from the actual
on-screen sequence during my upgrade. I guess my successful install was pure
dumb luck!

The clean install directions I used successfully were from Mike Murphy -
and it was for a 64-bit system eventhough my computewr is a 32-bit. Go
figure!

ReBell
Sticks, Ms