Recovery Environment Won't Start

Jim F.

Recovery Environment Won't Start
My Vista (Ultimate) machine currently is having issues. Potentially
corrupted/damaged registry. I've tried to get into the recovery environment
both through selecting it after a failed start up, and booting from the
installation DVD. Every time I try, the system says it's loading files, then
I see the green cyclops progress bar, and then a black screen. After that it
just hangs there and never gets past this point. Has anyone ever experienced
this issue. I've heard the recovery environment can take time to start up,
but is 45 min normal? Any Ideas?

niz79@hotmail.com

Re: Recovery Environment Won't Start
Hey Jim,

Not a lot of consolation from me I'm afraid, but I can at least back
you up on the issue. I have got what seems to be the exact same
problem. - only my computer doesn't hang after the loadbar - it simply
restarts...
I'm amiss and have spent hours searching help boards for a solution.
You're the first I've come across to have the same issue. All other
suggestions I've seen just say
"when you get to the recovery menu choose...". Problem is I can't even
get there!
I have had a set of recovery discs sent to me from the manufacturer in
Hungary (I live in Denmark) and have waited for them for 10 days.
Today I got them and booted up: loading, ...no menu. just a screen
saying: "windows failed to load because the kernel is missing or
currupt"
I'm about ready to turn it in to the vendor and ask them to fix it by
any means neccessary.

Sorry I couldn't be of help though.

Nis
Jim F.

Re: Recovery Environment Won't Start
Nis,
What I ended up doing was taking the HD out of my laptop and hooking it up
to another machine. Then I went into the Windows\System32\Config and
replaced the various registry hives with the backup files. After I did that
I put the drive back into my machine and then tried the recovery process
again, and then everything worked. So clearly if there is any registry
corruption, it totally breaks the recovery process (go figure).

-Jim