New mobo, new activation key?

RancidKoolaid

New mobo, new activation key?
Vista is telling me I have to re-activate my Windows install. Same computer,
motherboard died, had to put in a new one, now I gotta buy Vista gain?
Michael Walraven

Re: New mobo, new activation key?
You do not have buy another one, just reactivate the one you have. During
its dialogue with you it should have suggested you use a phone activation,
even give you a toll free number to call. When you do, tell them you
replaced a blown motherboard. They will give you a long number to type in
and you will be all set. Max 5 minutes, usually much quicker.

Michel

"RancidKoolaid" <RancidKoolaid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Vista is telling me I have to re-activate my Windows install. Same
> computer,
> motherboard died, had to put in a new one, now I gotta buy Vista gain?

David B.

Re: New mobo, new activation key?
Did it say you had to buy a new copy? No, it said you have to reactivate,
use the activate by phone option and explain what you did.

--

----

"RancidKoolaid" <RancidKoolaid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Vista is telling me I have to re-activate my Windows install. Same
> computer,
> motherboard died, had to put in a new one, now I gotta buy Vista gain?

Dave

Re: New mobo, new activation key?
No, you don't have to buy anything.
Try the activation again, and when it fails, call the telephone number.
You will have to enter the series of numbers on the screen, then answer a
few questions.
If the robot doesn't approve, stay on the line until you get a real person
to talk to.
Explain what you changed.

"RancidKoolaid" <RancidKoolaid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Vista is telling me I have to re-activate my Windows install. Same
> computer,
> motherboard died, had to put in a new one, now I gotta buy Vista gain?

JerryMatson

Re: New mobo, new activation key?
Can someone please post the phone number here? I am not getting the phone
option available to me in the dialog box, only "activate online."

"Dave" wrote:

> No, you don't have to buy anything.
> Try the activation again, and when it fails, call the telephone number.
> You will have to enter the series of numbers on the screen, then answer a
> few questions.
> If the robot doesn't approve, stay on the line until you get a real person
> to talk to.
> Explain what you changed.
>

> "RancidKoolaid" <RancidKoolaid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Vista is telling me I have to re-activate my Windows install. Same
> > computer,
> > motherboard died, had to put in a new one, now I gotta buy Vista gain?

Michael Walraven

Re: New mobo, new activation key?
It has been a long time since I needed it. I seem to remember that you try
to activate on-line, after that fails you are given the option to try by
phone. You first get an automated system that will probably also fail, hang
on, a human will come on and take care of the problem.
Michael

"JerryMatson" <JerryMatson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can someone please post the phone number here? I am not getting the phone
> option available to me in the dialog box, only "activate online."
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> No, you don't have to buy anything.
>> Try the activation again, and when it fails, call the telephone number.
>> You will have to enter the series of numbers on the screen, then answer a
>> few questions.
>> If the robot doesn't approve, stay on the line until you get a real
>> person
>> to talk to.
>> Explain what you changed.
>>

>> "RancidKoolaid" <RancidKoolaid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Vista is telling me I have to re-activate my Windows install. Same
>> > computer,
>> > motherboard died, had to put in a new one, now I gotta buy Vista gain?

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: New mobo, new activation key?

"JerryMatson" <JerryMatson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29A06DDA-98FE-4CC0-B092-72D887ACD492@microsoft.com...

> Can someone please post the phone number here? I am not getting the phone
> option available to me in the dialog box, only "activate online."

Online activation must fail before the options are delivered.

> "Dave" wrote:
>
> > No, you don't have to buy anything.
> > Try the activation again, and when it fails, call the telephone number.
> > You will have to enter the series of numbers on the screen, then answer a
> > few questions.
> > If the robot doesn't approve, stay on the line until you get a real person
> > to talk to.
> > Explain what you changed.
> >

> > "RancidKoolaid" <RancidKoolaid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Vista is telling me I have to re-activate my Windows install. Same
> > > computer,
> > > motherboard died, had to put in a new one, now I gotta buy Vista gain?

Dave

Re: New mobo, new activation key?
Start - type "slui 4" in the search box, and hit Enter

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"JerryMatson" <JerryMatson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can someone please post the phone number here? I am not getting the phone
> option available to me in the dialog box, only "activate online."
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> No, you don't have to buy anything.
>> Try the activation again, and when it fails, call the telephone number.
>> You will have to enter the series of numbers on the screen, then answer a
>> few questions.
>> If the robot doesn't approve, stay on the line until you get a real
>> person
>> to talk to.
>> Explain what you changed.
>>

>> "RancidKoolaid" <RancidKoolaid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Vista is telling me I have to re-activate my Windows install. Same
>> > computer,
>> > motherboard died, had to put in a new one, now I gotta buy Vista gain?

Eww cooteez

RE: New mobo, new activation key?
Is the only way i would need a new key by getting a new Mother board? Because
i recently sent it fro repairs and they not only didnt fix the problem but
the video card has been running worse and worse and my games arent working as
well as they had before. Do you think they tampered with my machine?

"RancidKoolaid" wrote:

> Vista is telling me I have to re-activate my Windows install. Same computer,
> motherboard died, had to put in a new one, now I gotta buy Vista gain?

David B.

Re: New mobo, new activation key?
You would have to ask "them" if they tampered with your machine, how would
we know?
And you don't need a new key, you need to reactivate.

--

----