Upgrading laptop Hard Disk - best way?

Mark Allison

Upgrading laptop Hard Disk - best way?
Hi,

I have a MacBook dual booted with Vista. I want to put a 200Gb drive in
to replace my 120Gb, but I don't want to have to reinstall vista and all
my apps. I have a USB external drive that I could place an image on.

Question:
What's the best way to image my drive so that I can just pop in a new
drive and copy over the image? I then want to boot my laptop so that it
is exactly as it was before.

Hmmm, thinking about this, will the Mac partition mess things up? I
don't actually use OS X, so I'm not bothered if I lose that altogether.

Thanks!
Mark.
brink

Re: Upgrading laptop Hard Disk - best way?

Mark Allison;533735 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a MacBook dual booted with Vista. I want to put a 200Gb drive in
> to replace my 120Gb, but I don't want to have to reinstall vista and
> all
> my apps. I have a USB external drive that I could place an image on.
>
> Question:
> What's the best way to image my drive so that I can just pop in a new
> drive and copy over the image? I then want to boot my laptop so that it
> is exactly as it was before.
>
> Hmmm, thinking about this, will the Mac partition mess things up? I
> don't actually use OS X, so I'm not bothered if I lose that altogether.
>
> Thanks!
> Mark.

Hi Mark,

The program Acronis True Image is perferct for what you are wanting to
do. It will allow you to make a exact clone of the hard drive and
install that clone on any hard drive. You can download a fully
functional 15-day trial version here.

'Download HDD ghosting, data backup and restore software for home and
home office PCs'
(http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...oad/trueimage/)

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*

portableds is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Upgrading laptop Hard Disk - best way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brink View Post
Mark Allison;533735 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a MacBook dual booted with Vista. I want to put a 200Gb drive in
> to replace my 120Gb, but I don't want to have to reinstall vista and
> all
> my apps. I have a USB external drive that I could place an image on.
>
> Question:
> What's the best way to image my drive so that I can just pop in a new
> drive and copy over the image? I then want to boot my laptop so that it
> is exactly as it was before.
>
> Hmmm, thinking about this, will the Mac partition mess things up? I
> don't actually use OS X, so I'm not bothered if I lose that altogether.
>
> Thanks!
> Mark.

Hi Mark,

The program Acronis True Image is perferct for what you are wanting to
do. It will allow you to make a exact clone of the hard drive and
install that clone on any hard drive. You can download a fully
functional 15-day trial version here.

'Download HDD ghosting, data backup and restore software for home and
home office PCs'
(Complete hard disk recovery solution, backup, drive copy, clone and image computer software)

Shawn

--
brink

Vista Forums (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")
*Please post feedback to help others.*

Yeh Acronis Migrate allows you to migrate your files over to your new hard drive relatively easy without having to reinstall everything so it is worth using it.
Luan Pham

Re: Upgrading laptop Hard Disk - best way?
On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 13:07:55 +0000, portableds
<portableds.42o983@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
>> 'Vista Forums' (http://WWW.VISTAX64.COM) (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")
>> *Please post feedback to help others.*

>Yeh Acronis Migrate allows you to migrate your files over to your new
>hard drive relatively easy without having to reinstall everything so it
>is worth using it.

I just using Acronis Cloning function migrate client from 10 GB HD to
30 GB HD with no problem. I am impress.

portableds is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Upgrading laptop Hard Disk - best way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luan Pham View Post
On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 13:07:55 +0000, portableds
<portableds.42o983@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
>> 'Vista Forums' (Vista Forums) (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")
>> *Please post feedback to help others.*

>Yeh Acronis Migrate allows you to migrate your files over to your new
>hard drive relatively easy without having to reinstall everything so it
>is worth using it.

I just using Acronis Cloning function migrate client from 10 GB HD to
30 GB HD with no problem. I am impress.

another good program is called drive clone