Install XP in Vista (virtual pc 2007)

a_occellaris

Install XP in Vista (virtual pc 2007)
I have notebook running Vista Ultimate and I tried to install project 2003 --
but Vista wouldn't let me do it b/c of lacking the right credentials (even
though admin and don't want to purchase Project 2007 to get vista
compatibility on something I rarely use)

I tried to find a solution with no success until someone mentioned virtual
pc 2007.

I have a dual boot machine with xp media center and ultimate. (XP media
won't take in VPC, or will it?).

I have XP Pro on old computer and used to install for virtual machine.
Liscense is still activated b/c it is my Wife's machine now. I am just
exploring to see I can get it to work (learned about the activation from
another post).

I cannot get any of the additional setup discs to work (SP1 updates to load
on the Virtual XP). My understanding was that you could have a full copy
with all the bells and whistles (virtually) as if it were installed as your
normal, everyday operating system.

Am I missing something? (b/c I can't get the setup discs to work to get an
updated "virtual" copy.

Adam
David B.

Re: Install XP in Vista (virtual pc 2007)
So you have XP up and running in VPC? Skip SP1 and install SP2 and post back
with any errors.

--

----

"a_occellaris" <a_occellaris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have notebook running Vista Ultimate and I tried to install project
>2003 --
> but Vista wouldn't let me do it b/c of lacking the right credentials (even
> though admin and don't want to purchase Project 2007 to get vista
> compatibility on something I rarely use)
>
> I tried to find a solution with no success until someone mentioned virtual
> pc 2007.
>
> I have a dual boot machine with xp media center and ultimate. (XP media
> won't take in VPC, or will it?).
>
> I have XP Pro on old computer and used to install for virtual machine.
> Liscense is still activated b/c it is my Wife's machine now. I am just
> exploring to see I can get it to work (learned about the activation from
> another post).
>
> I cannot get any of the additional setup discs to work (SP1 updates to
> load
> on the Virtual XP). My understanding was that you could have a full copy
> with all the bells and whistles (virtually) as if it were installed as
> your
> normal, everyday operating system.
>
> Am I missing something? (b/c I can't get the setup discs to work to get an
> updated "virtual" copy.
>

> Adam

a_occellaris

Re: Install XP in Vista (virtual pc 2007)
OK -- NOW I have a problem where I can't get a wireless connection to work or
the ethernet port.

I tried downloading the patch from hp for wireless and installing in a
public folder and access it virtually for install, and it took (I think - b/c
I now have option to remove in add/remove programs), but I only have LAN to
choose from under my networks -- or -- get a hard wire connection from the
ethernet port.

Can you run a Wireless Internet connection Virtually?

If not, do you have any suggestions on what might be going on with the port?

nVIDIA netforce networking controller -- when I got the laptop, just enabled
wireless and was off, I never plugged into the router (with this notebook --
hp dv9013cl) until last night.

I used the same Cat 5 cable on older computer to do updates w/o wireless
that I used last night. And the only item that is not enabled under the
Device Manager for the advanced properties is "Flow Control"?

Adam

"David B." wrote:

> So you have XP up and running in VPC? Skip SP1 and install SP2 and post back
> with any errors.
>
> --
>
> ----
> __________________________________________________ _______________________________
>

> "a_occellaris" <a_occellaris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have notebook running Vista Ultimate and I tried to install project
> >2003 --
> > but Vista wouldn't let me do it b/c of lacking the right credentials (even
> > though admin and don't want to purchase Project 2007 to get vista
> > compatibility on something I rarely use)
> >
> > I tried to find a solution with no success until someone mentioned virtual
> > pc 2007.
> >
> > I have a dual boot machine with xp media center and ultimate. (XP media
> > won't take in VPC, or will it?).
> >
> > I have XP Pro on old computer and used to install for virtual machine.
> > Liscense is still activated b/c it is my Wife's machine now. I am just
> > exploring to see I can get it to work (learned about the activation from
> > another post).
> >
> > I cannot get any of the additional setup discs to work (SP1 updates to
> > load
> > on the Virtual XP). My understanding was that you could have a full copy
> > with all the bells and whistles (virtually) as if it were installed as
> > your
> > normal, everyday operating system.
> >
> > Am I missing something? (b/c I can't get the setup discs to work to get an
> > updated "virtual" copy.
> >

> > Adam

David B.

Re: Install XP in Vista (virtual pc 2007)
You need to do some reading on VPC, it emulates a specific set of hardware,
it will not see any add on cards such as pci wireless cards, you need to
adjust the VPC settings to use the wireless card for it's network, you
cannot install drivers for it.
I would suggest reposting to public.virtualpc to get some expert help.

--

----

> [...]
>> > pc 2007.
>> >
>> > I have a dual boot machine with xp media center and ultimate. (XP media
>> > won't take in VPC, or will it?).
>> >
>> > I have XP Pro on old computer and used to install for virtual machine.
>> > Liscense is still activated b/c it is my Wife's machine now. I am just
>> > exploring to see I can get it to work (learned about the activation
>> > from
>> > another post).
>> >
>> > I cannot get any of the additional setup discs to work (SP1 updates to
>> > load
>> > on the Virtual XP). My understanding was that you could have a full
>> > copy
>> > with all the bells and whistles (virtually) as if it were installed as
>> > your
>> > normal, everyday operating system.
>> >
>> > Am I missing something? (b/c I can't get the setup discs to work to get

a_occellaris

Re: Install XP in Vista (virtual pc 2007)
I got the issue resolved with being able to update from a Ethernet port
(wrong setting in network properties)

Now I have an issue where I cannot use my CD drive to install applications I
wish to run in Virtual XP.

Under the settings for VPC, there was a check box for Secondary IDE
control. I unchecked it, and it switched to primary (with no success). I
can read the contents of the drive, but when I click on the setup icons, the
CD drive spins, but nothing happens (no setup screens)

any suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam

"David B." wrote:

> You need to do some reading on VPC, it emulates a specific set of hardware,
> it will not see any add on cards such as pci wireless cards, you need to
> adjust the VPC settings to use the wireless card for it's network, you
> cannot install drivers for it.
> I would suggest reposting to public.virtualpc to get some expert help.
>
> --
>
> ----
> __________________________________________________ _______________________________
>

> "a_occellaris" <aoccellaris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK -- NOW I have a problem where I can't get a wireless connection to work
> > or
> > the ethernet port.
> >
> > I tried downloading the patch from hp for wireless and installing in a
> > public folder and access it virtually for install, and it took (I think -
> > b/c
> > I now have option to remove in add/remove programs), but I only have LAN
> > choose from under my networks -- or -- get a hard wire connection from the
> > ethernet port.
> >
> > Can you run a Wireless Internet connection Virtually?
> >
> > If not, do you have any suggestions on what might be going on with the
> > port?
> >
> > nVIDIA netforce networking controller -- when I got the laptop, just
> > enabled
> > wireless and was off, I never plugged into the router (with this
> > notebook --
> > hp dv9013cl) until last night.
> >
> > I used the same Cat 5 cable on older computer to do updates w/o wireless
> > that I used last night. And the only item that is not enabled under the
> > Device Manager for the advanced properties is "Flow Control"?
> >
> > Adam
> >
> > "David B." wrote:
> >
> >> So you have XP up and running in VPC? Skip SP1 and install SP2 and post
> >> back
> >> with any errors.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> ----
> >> Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
> >> How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

David B.

Re: Install XP in Vista (virtual pc 2007)
Yes. my suggestion is the same as before, reposting to public.virtualpc

--

----