Freezing photo screen saver.

BoB Brazie

Freezing photo screen saver.
HP Pavilion lap top running Vista home premium. New monitor/screen
installed.

With the screen saver set to photos/glass mode (or any other mode except
"classic") the screen freezes. Other savers work just fine.

It turns to a dark gray and then gets lighter. I cannot not wake it up by
moving the mouse or tapping any keys. I put it to sleep with the power
button and then I am able to wake it up.

After waking it up the screen flickers but the photo screen saver works just
fine. On every new start however the same thing happens again.

Thanks in advance and any help would be greatly appreciate.

Michael Walraven

Re: Freezing photo screen saver.
Interesting,
That setup also crashes my screen saver, fortunately does not crash my
system.
(Black screen, photo screen save has stopped working', no notification of
fix, returns to working system.)

Michael
Vista Home premium, Dell XPS410, on board video.

"BoB Brazie" <?bbrazie@knowledge1.com> wrote in message
> HP Pavilion lap top running Vista home premium. New monitor/screen
> installed.
>
> With the screen saver set to photos/glass mode (or any other mode except
> "classic") the screen freezes. Other savers work just fine.
>
> It turns to a dark gray and then gets lighter. I cannot not wake it up by
> moving the mouse or tapping any keys. I put it to sleep with the power
> button and then I am able to wake it up.
>
> After waking it up the screen flickers but the photo screen saver works
> just fine. On every new start however the same thing happens again.
>
> Thanks in advance and any help would be greatly appreciate.

BoB Brazie

Re: Freezing photo screen saver.
Have you found a fix?

I have checked for new drivers for all of my hardware and nothing new is
available. Device manger shows nothing not working.

I even did a clean install of Vista Home Premium and installed no other
software and the problem still persists.

My wife has the exact same configuration and she has no problem. (maybe I
will secretly exchange computers with her <g>)

"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
> Interesting,
> That setup also crashes my screen saver, fortunately does not crash my
> system.
> (Black screen, photo screen save has stopped working', no notification of
> fix, returns to working system.)
>
> Michael
> Vista Home premium, Dell XPS410, on board video.
>

> "BoB Brazie" <?bbrazie@knowledge1.com> wrote in message
>> HP Pavilion lap top running Vista home premium. New monitor/screen
>> installed.
>>
>> With the screen saver set to photos/glass mode (or any other mode except
>> "classic") the screen freezes. Other savers work just fine.
>>
>> It turns to a dark gray and then gets lighter. I cannot not wake it up by
>> moving the mouse or tapping any keys. I put it to sleep with the power
>> button and then I am able to wake it up.
>>
>> After waking it up the screen flickers but the photo screen saver works
>> just fine. On every new start however the same thing happens again.
>>
>> Thanks in advance and any help would be greatly appreciate.

Michael Walraven

Re: Freezing photo screen saver.
Don't actually use any screen saver, but found it interesting that my system
also fails (although slightly differently). I updated all my on-board
hardware drivers a month or so ago from the Dell site, probably should check
there again.

Michael

> Have you found a fix?
>
> I have checked for new drivers for all of my hardware and nothing new is
> available. Device manger shows nothing not working.
>
> I even did a clean install of Vista Home Premium and installed no other
> software and the problem still persists.
>
> My wife has the exact same configuration and she has no problem. (maybe I
> will secretly exchange computers with her <g>)
>
> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
>> Interesting,
>> That setup also crashes my screen saver, fortunately does not crash my
>> system.
>> (Black screen, photo screen save has stopped working', no notification of
>> fix, returns to working system.)
>>
>> Michael
>> Vista Home premium, Dell XPS410, on board video.
>>

>> "BoB Brazie" <?bbrazie@knowledge1.com> wrote in message
>>> HP Pavilion lap top running Vista home premium. New monitor/screen
>>> installed.
>>>
>>> With the screen saver set to photos/glass mode (or any other mode except
>>> "classic") the screen freezes. Other savers work just fine.
>>>
>>> It turns to a dark gray and then gets lighter. I cannot not wake it up
>>> by moving the mouse or tapping any keys. I put it to sleep with the
>>> power button and then I am able to wake it up.
>>>
>>> After waking it up the screen flickers but the photo screen saver works
>>> just fine. On every new start however the same thing happens again.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance and any help would be greatly appreciate.

BoB Brazie

Re: Freezing photo screen saver.
I have just noticed that when it is unplugged from AC and running on the
battery alone this does not happen. The problem re-occurs when the power is
connected again.

Any thoughts or work around anyone can think of?

Thanks in advance.

"BoB Brazie" <?bbrazie@knowledge1.com> wrote in message
> HP Pavilion lap top running Vista home premium. New monitor/screen
> installed.
>
> With the screen saver set to photos/glass mode (or any other mode except
> "classic") the screen freezes. Other savers work just fine.
>
> It turns to a dark gray and then gets lighter. I cannot not wake it up by
> moving the mouse or tapping any keys. I put it to sleep with the power
> button and then I am able to wake it up.
>
> After waking it up the screen flickers but the photo screen saver works
> just fine. On every new start however the same thing happens again.
>
> Thanks in advance and any help would be greatly appreciate.

BoB Brazie

Re: Freezing photo screen saver.
Just noticed it only happens when resolution is set at 1440 x 900 Pixels.