re installing windows with same product key

windows xp

re installing windows with same product key
Hi I had to re install windows (don't ask) and when the enter product key box
pops up I type in my product key and it won't let me do it. what can I do to
fix this?
John Barnett MVP

Re: re installing windows with same product key
In what ay will it not let you 'do it?' I've re-installed windows dozens of
time using the same DVD and product key and never had any problems. If you
are talking about windows not allowing you to activate, usually accompanied
by an error to the effect of 'the product key is currently in use' then he
easy solution to not be able to activate is to choose the telephone option
instead of the online option. Thetelephone activation is automated so if you
are refused activation during the automated setup, stay on the line and you
will betransferred to a 'real' person who will help you activate your copy
of windows.

If the product key is the problem, then what messages are you getting to say
that you cannot proceed any further? It is important to check that you also
hav inputted the correct number. If you have written it down an 8 can easily
turn ou to be a B and a S can, correspondingly, look like a 5.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"windows xp" <windows xp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I had to re install windows (don't ask) and when the enter product key
> box
> pops up I type in my product key and it won't let me do it. what can I do
> fix this?

Vernon

Re: re installing windows with same product key
will the key work with either the oem and retail version.

i have a system that has the oem recovery dvd on the hard drive.
i would like to get a dvd backup of the vista.
would the key work with the retail as well as the oem version. (retail
version would be better than oem.)
i have found that i can get both from torrent.

"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> In what ay will it not let you 'do it?' I've re-installed windows dozens
> of time using the same DVD and product key and never had any problems. If
> you are talking about windows not allowing you to activate, usually
> accompanied by an error to the effect of 'the product key is currently in
> use' then he easy solution to not be able to activate is to choose the
> telephone option instead of the online option. Thetelephone activation is
> automated so if you are refused activation during the automated setup,
> stay on the line and you will betransferred to a 'real' person who will
> help you activate your copy of windows.
>
> If the product key is the problem, then what messages are you getting to
> say that you cannot proceed any further? It is important to check that you
> also hav inputted the correct number. If you have written it down an 8 can
> easily turn ou to be a B and a S can, correspondingly, look like a 5.

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>

> "windows xp" <windows xp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi I had to re install windows (don't ask) and when the enter product key
>> box
>> pops up I type in my product key and it won't let me do it. what can I do
>> fix this?

Bruce Chambers

Vernon wrote:
> will the key work with either the oem and retail version.
>
> i have a system that has the oem recovery dvd on the hard drive.
> i would like to get a dvd backup of the vista.
> would the key work with the retail as well as the oem version. (retail
> version would be better than oem.)

No, it wouldn't work. Product Keys are bound to the specific type
and language of CD/license (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with
which they are purchased. For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key
won't work for any retail version of WinXP Home, or for any version of
WinXP Pro, and vice versa. An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with
a full version CD, and vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to
install a retail product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an
English CD. Bottom line: Product Keys and CD/license types cannot be
mixed & matched.

> i have found that i can get both from torrent.

And why would you expect us to help you pirate software?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
windows xp

Re: re installing windows with same product key
the meassage I get is type a different product key. Here's what happen, my
computer was starting to slow down (its an acer 5570z so its kinda new) so I
wiped everything off my computer. well, when I put the disc that came with
the computer, I tried to type the same product key that is on the CD but it
keeps saying that the prodcut key is in use and it won't activate I just keep
getting the 30 days to activate windows. I was hoping there was a more simple
way to fix the problem but I guess I have to call microsoft unless there is a
simple way to do it?

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> In what ay will it not let you 'do it?' I've re-installed windows dozens of
> time using the same DVD and product key and never had any problems. If you
> are talking about windows not allowing you to activate, usually accompanied
> by an error to the effect of 'the product key is currently in use' then he
> easy solution to not be able to activate is to choose the telephone option
> instead of the online option. Thetelephone activation is automated so if you
> are refused activation during the automated setup, stay on the line and you
> will betransferred to a 'real' person who will help you activate your copy
> of windows.
>
> If the product key is the problem, then what messages are you getting to say
> that you cannot proceed any further? It is important to check that you also
> hav inputted the correct number. If you have written it down an 8 can easily
> turn ou to be a B and a S can, correspondingly, look like a 5.

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>

> "windows xp" <windows xp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi I had to re install windows (don't ask) and when the enter product key
> > box
> > pops up I type in my product key and it won't let me do it. what can I do
> > fix this?

Mick Murphy

Re: re installing windows with same product key
you should have written this post 1st, instead of waffling on about keys from
bit torrent. don't you think micro checks those sites out, and BLOCKS the
Keys?

just select the phone option, and wait on for a real person. And it does not
take long.

"windows xp" wrote:

> the meassage I get is type a different product key. Here's what happen, my
> computer was starting to slow down (its an acer 5570z so its kinda new) so I
> wiped everything off my computer. well, when I put the disc that came with
> the computer, I tried to type the same product key that is on the CD but it
> keeps saying that the prodcut key is in use and it won't activate I just keep
> getting the 30 days to activate windows. I was hoping there was a more simple
> way to fix the problem but I guess I have to call microsoft unless there is a
> simple way to do it?
>
> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
> > In what ay will it not let you 'do it?' I've re-installed windows dozens of
> > time using the same DVD and product key and never had any problems. If you
> > are talking about windows not allowing you to activate, usually accompanied
> > by an error to the effect of 'the product key is currently in use' then he
> > easy solution to not be able to activate is to choose the telephone option
> > instead of the online option. Thetelephone activation is automated so if you
> > are refused activation during the automated setup, stay on the line and you
> > will betransferred to a 'real' person who will help you activate your copy
> > of windows.
> >
> > If the product key is the problem, then what messages are you getting to say
> > that you cannot proceed any further? It is important to check that you also
> > hav inputted the correct number. If you have written it down an 8 can easily
> > turn ou to be a B and a S can, correspondingly, look like a 5.
> >
> > --
> > --
> > John Barnett MVP
> > Associate Expert
> > Windows - Shell/User
> >
> > Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> > Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> >
> > The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
> > kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
> > reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> > any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> > use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
> > mail/post..
> >

> > "windows xp" <windows xp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi I had to re install windows (don't ask) and when the enter product key
> > > box
> > > pops up I type in my product key and it won't let me do it. what can I do
> > > fix this?

Bruce Chambers

windows xp wrote:
> the meassage I get is type a different product key. Here's what happen, my
> computer was starting to slow down (its an acer 5570z so its kinda new) so I
> wiped everything off my computer. well, when I put the disc that came with
> the computer, I tried to type the same product key that is on the CD but it
> keeps saying that the prodcut key is in use and it won't activate I just keep
> getting the 30 days to activate windows. I was hoping there was a more simple
> way to fix the problem but I guess I have to call microsoft unless there is a
> simple way to do it?

It is in use, by you, because of the initial installation and
Activation. Simply follow the on-screen instructions to activate the
new installation by telephone.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
John Barnett MVP

Re: re installing windows with same product key
Check the back of your PC o see if there is a 'genuine windows' sticker.
This should contain a product key number which may be different to that on
the DVD, if so try that one. The one on the DVD may be the OEM product key
which is already registered by the PC manufacturer.

> the meassage I get is type a different product key. Here's what happen, my
> computer was starting to slow down (its an acer 5570z so its kinda new) so
> wiped everything off my computer. well, when I put the disc that came with
> the computer, I tried to type the same product key that is on the CD but
> it
> keeps saying that the prodcut key is in use and it won't activate I just
> keep
> getting the 30 days to activate windows. I was hoping there was a more
> simple
> way to fix the problem but I guess I have to call microsoft unless there
> is a
> simple way to do it?
>
> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> In what ay will it not let you 'do it?' I've re-installed windows dozens
>> of
>> time using the same DVD and product key and never had any problems. If
>> you
>> are talking about windows not allowing you to activate, usually
>> accompanied
>> by an error to the effect of 'the product key is currently in use' then
>> he
>> easy solution to not be able to activate is to choose the telephone
>> option
>> instead of the online option. Thetelephone activation is automated so if
>> you
>> are refused activation during the automated setup, stay on the line and
>> you
>> will betransferred to a 'real' person who will help you activate your
>> copy
>> of windows.
>>
>> If the product key is the problem, then what messages are you getting to
>> say
>> that you cannot proceed any further? It is important to check that you
>> also
>> hav inputted the correct number. If you have written it down an 8 can
>> easily
>> turn ou to be a B and a S can, correspondingly, look like a 5.

>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows - Shell/User
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
>> the
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>

>> "windows xp" <windows xp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi I had to re install windows (don't ask) and when the enter product
>> > key
>> > box
>> > pops up I type in my product key and it won't let me do it. what can I
>> > do
>> > fix this?

Hank Arnold (MVP)

windows xp wrote:
> the meassage I get is type a different product key. Here's what happen, my
> computer was starting to slow down (its an acer 5570z so its kinda new) so I
> wiped everything off my computer. well, when I put the disc that came with
> the computer, I tried to type the same product key that is on the CD but it
> keeps saying that the prodcut key is in use and it won't activate I just keep
> getting the 30 days to activate windows. I was hoping there was a more simple
> way to fix the problem but I guess I have to call microsoft unless there is a
> simple way to do it?
>
> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> In what ay will it not let you 'do it?' I've re-installed windows dozens of
>> time using the same DVD and product key and never had any problems. If you
>> are talking about windows not allowing you to activate, usually accompanied
>> by an error to the effect of 'the product key is currently in use' then he
>> easy solution to not be able to activate is to choose the telephone option
>> instead of the online option. Thetelephone activation is automated so if you
>> are refused activation during the automated setup, stay on the line and you
>> will betransferred to a 'real' person who will help you activate your copy
>> of windows.
>>
>> If the product key is the problem, then what messages are you getting to say
>> that you cannot proceed any further? It is important to check that you also
>> hav inputted the correct number. If you have written it down an 8 can easily
>> turn ou to be a B and a S can, correspondingly, look like a 5.

>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows - Shell/User
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>

>> "windows xp" <windows xp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi I had to re install windows (don't ask) and when the enter product key
>>> box
>>> pops up I type in my product key and it won't let me do it. what can I do
>>> fix this?

Caling MS is about as simple as it gets. You should be in business in 15
minutes or less...

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold