Removing Vista

ChaosMyotismon

Removing Vista
Okay. I bought a laptop with Vista on it already but I don't like Vista at
all. I have a Window XP OS disk and want to know how to or if there is a way
to remove Vista from my Laptop. Someone one help me out please.
Brett I. Holcomb

Re: Removing Vista
Boot the XP Install CD and have it delete all partitions and reformat
and install. However - if you have data you want to keep back it up
as everything will get wiped out.

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 20:36:00 -0800, ChaosMyotismon
<ChaosMyotismon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Okay. I bought a laptop with Vista on it already but I don't like Vista at
>all. I have a Window XP OS disk and want to know how to or if there is a way
>to remove Vista from my Laptop. Someone one help me out please.

Brett I. Holcomb

Re: Removing Vista
Also, make sure you have drivers for the devices on the laptop that
will work in XP. Some new laptops don't - or the drivers are hard to
find.

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 23:45:35 -0500, Brett I. Holcomb
<brettholcomb@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Boot the XP Install CD and have it delete all partitions and reformat
>and install. However - if you have data you want to keep back it up
>as everything will get wiped out.
>
>On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 20:36:00 -0800, ChaosMyotismon
><ChaosMyotismon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Okay. I bought a laptop with Vista on it already but I don't like Vista at
>>all. I have a Window XP OS disk and want to know how to or if there is a way
>>to remove Vista from my Laptop. Someone one help me out please.

BigJim

Re: Removing Vista
I would buy a new hard drive for the laptop change it out and leave Vista
installed on the original drive.

"ChaosMyotismon" <ChaosMyotismon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay. I bought a laptop with Vista on it already but I don't like Vista at
> all. I have a Window XP OS disk and want to know how to or if there is a
> way
> to remove Vista from my Laptop. Someone one help me out please.

Rick Rogers

Re: Removing Vista
Hi,

a) Make sure the laptop manufacturer has XP drivers available for the
proprietary hardware used in building the system. This is especially so if a
sata driver is needed on floppy in order for XP setup to see the disk. If
the system does not have a floppy drive (and as it's a laptop it probably
doesn't), make sure it can read one from a USB external floppy during setup
before you proceed.

b) Backup your data to a removable drive (do not use the Vista backup
program, just copy the data off) such as a CD/DVD, external drive, or thumb
drive.

c) Boot the system with the XP disk and start setup. At the point where you
choose the installation location, delete the existing system volume, then
create a new one from the resulting free space. Do not try to install XP on
top of Vista, nor should you try to install it to a Vista created and
formatted volume, it will not work. Format the newly created system volume
(quick format is fine) and proceed with installation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"ChaosMyotismon" <ChaosMyotismon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay. I bought a laptop with Vista on it already but I don't like Vista at
> all. I have a Window XP OS disk and want to know how to or if there is a
> way
> to remove Vista from my Laptop. Someone one help me out please.

Bruce Chambers

Re: Removing Vista
ChaosMyotismon wrote:
> Okay. I bought a laptop with Vista on it already but I don't like Vista at
> all. I have a Window XP OS disk and want to know how to or if there is a way
> to remove Vista from my Laptop. Someone one help me out please.

It's your computer, so the choice is, ultimately, yours.

However, there could be a couple possible adverse repercussions of
which you should be aware. First and foremost, if the specific computer
model in question was designed specifically for Vista, there may well be
no WinXP-specific device drivers available to make the computer's
diverse components work properly. Consult the computer's manufacturer
about the availability of device drivers. Secondly, removing an
OEM-installed operating system and replacing it with another will almost
invariably void any and all support agreements and, sometimes, even the
warranty. You would, at the very least, have to re-install Vista before
getting any support from the manufacturer. Again, consult the
computer's manufacturer for specifics. Thirdly, there may be the
additional cost involved in purchasing a WinXP license for this new
computer. (An OEM CD and license from some previous computer will not
do, for legal and usually technical reasons.)

After backing up any data you wish to transfer to the new OS
installation, simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be
offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part
of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of
boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;316941

Then, assuming that the laptop can be made to work with WinXP, the
backed up data can be restored and applications (Those that are
WinXP-compatible, that is) re-installed.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
ChaosMyotismon

Re: Removing Vista
O_o Why would I need to buy a License? I just bought the XP OS disk. Oh well.
I'll take the damn laptop to best buy where I bought it and let them figure
it.

Thanks anyway for trying.