Vista Install Hangs at 62% completing upgrade

Julie C

Vista Install Hangs at 62% completing upgrade
I am attempting to install Vista Home Premium on my Gate MX laptop, with an
AMD Turion x62 dual core processor.

My first 3 attempts at installing went like this:

1) first 2 attempts -- found applications that wouldn't work (after 3 hours
of installation time each time) and said I had to remove those apps. Done.

2) 3rd attemp -- went through all of install, got to the end, said it wasn't
successful, and rolled back to XP by itself.

Talked to gateway support, they said to update my drivers for AMD Turion and
attempt reinstall. Did so.

Install seemed to go a lot faster, but 5 hours ago (!) hung at the
"Completing Upgrade" step at 62% complete.

I am assuming 5 hours means this install is hung. If I try to exit out of
install, it says if I stop at this point my computer may become unusable. I
don't know what to do!

Questions:

1) should I quit install anyway, if so, what will happen? should I reboot,
what to do here?

2) in digging around, I am wondering if I should have ordered a 64 bit
version of windows vista upgrade for an AMD turion processor? I would have
thought it could run either?

Help, scared my machine is hosed.

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Install Hangs at 62% completing upgrade
Hi,

1) Yes, it's probably hung and it won't matter at this point if you exit or
not. Try rebooting, it may finish - but it also may not. Hopefully you
backed up data files before beginning. You may need to try installing clean
to a new folder.

2) You can install either on the Turion processor, and actually using 32-bit
is generally recommended as driver support for 64-bit is spotty on a lot of
systems.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Julie C" <JulieC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am attempting to install Vista Home Premium on my Gate MX laptop, with an
> AMD Turion x62 dual core processor.
>
> My first 3 attempts at installing went like this:
>
> 1) first 2 attempts -- found applications that wouldn't work (after 3
> hours
> of installation time each time) and said I had to remove those apps.
> Done.
>
> 2) 3rd attemp -- went through all of install, got to the end, said it
> wasn't
> successful, and rolled back to XP by itself.
>
> Talked to gateway support, they said to update my drivers for AMD Turion
> and
> attempt reinstall. Did so.
>
> Install seemed to go a lot faster, but 5 hours ago (!) hung at the
> "Completing Upgrade" step at 62% complete.
>
> I am assuming 5 hours means this install is hung. If I try to exit out of
> install, it says if I stop at this point my computer may become unusable.
> don't know what to do!
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) should I quit install anyway, if so, what will happen? should I reboot,
> what to do here?
>
> 2) in digging around, I am wondering if I should have ordered a 64 bit
> version of windows vista upgrade for an AMD turion processor? I would
> have
> thought it could run either?
>
> Help, scared my machine is hosed.

brink

Julie C;531630 Wrote:
> I am attempting to install Vista Home Premium on my Gate MX laptop, with
> an
> AMD Turion x62 dual core processor.
>
> My first 3 attempts at installing went like this:
>
> 1) first 2 attempts -- found applications that wouldn't work (after 3
> hours
> of installation time each time) and said I had to remove those apps.
> Done.
>
> 2) 3rd attemp -- went through all of install, got to the end, said it
> wasn't
> successful, and rolled back to XP by itself.
>
> Talked to gateway support, they said to update my drivers for AMD
> Turion and
> attempt reinstall. Did so.
>
> Install seemed to go a lot faster, but 5 hours ago (!) hung at the
> "Completing Upgrade" step at 62% complete.
>
> I am assuming 5 hours means this install is hung. If I try to exit out
> of
> install, it says if I stop at this point my computer may become
> unusable. I
> don't know what to do!
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) should I quit install anyway, if so, what will happen? should I
> reboot,
> what to do here?
>
> 2) in digging around, I am wondering if I should have ordered a 64 bit
> version of windows vista upgrade for an AMD turion processor? I would
> have
> thought it could run either?
>
> Help, scared my machine is hosed.

Hi Julie,

I would recommend backing up what you do not want to lose and do a
clean install to avoid these problems. If you have more than 3 GB of
RAM, then you should temporarliy remove the excess until finished with
the install. This tutorial will show you how to do a clean install from
a Upgrade version of Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...l-upgrade.html

Shawn

--