Install help please

ginny in michigan

Install help please
I purchased Vista Home Premium, installed in on a Compaq laptop. The laptop
did not have enough memory and Vista (while playing games) kept locking up.
I reverted my laptop back to XP and thought I could put the Vista on my
desktop. I get an error KEY is already in use. I only have it on one
computer (desktop) and I don't know what to do. Since I don't have it on the
laptop anymore why can't I put it on my desktop computer? Thanks in advance
for any assist
Bruce Chambers

Re: Install help please
ginny in michigan wrote:
> I purchased Vista Home Premium, installed in on a Compaq laptop. The laptop
> did not have enough memory and Vista (while playing games) kept locking up.

Thewn you should have added more RAM or contacted the manufacturer for
assistance and warranty support.

> I reverted my laptop back to XP and thought I could put the Vista on my
> desktop. I get an error KEY is already in use.

Well, of course the license is in use: by you, on the Compaq laptop.
By your own description, you have an OEM license for WinXP that came
with the Compaq laptop. An OEM version must be sold with a piece of
hardware (normally a motherboard or hard drive, if not an entire PC) and
is _permanently_ bound to the first PC on which it's installed. An OEM
license, once installed, is not legally transferable to another computer
under _any_ circumstances.

> I only have it on one
> computer (desktop) and I don't know what to do.

If you want Vista on the desktop, go buy a legitimate license for it.
You cannot use the Compaq's OEM licwense on any other computers, ever.

> Since I don't have it on the
> laptop anymore why can't I put it on my desktop computer?

Because doing so would be a violation of the license and because you
promised, by agreeing to the terms of the EULA, not to ever try.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Dwarf

RE: Install help please
Hi ginny,

The key is recorded as being in use because Vista has already been activated
by you on your Compaq laptop. Since you have removed it from your laptop and
installed it on your desktop, Vista will refuse to activate automatically
over the Internet. What you need to do is to activate over the phone. The
first part of this will also fail, but if you hang on the line you will be
put through to an operator who should be able to assist you.
Dwarf

"ginny in michigan" wrote:

> I purchased Vista Home Premium, installed in on a Compaq laptop. The laptop
> did not have enough memory and Vista (while playing games) kept locking up.
> I reverted my laptop back to XP and thought I could put the Vista on my
> desktop. I get an error KEY is already in use. I only have it on one
> computer (desktop) and I don't know what to do. Since I don't have it on the
> laptop anymore why can't I put it on my desktop computer? Thanks in advance
> for any assist

Mick Murphy

Re: Install help please
Read her post, IDIOT.

Where does she say it is OEM vista?

Her words "I purchased Vista Home Premium, installed it on a Compaq laptop".

Instead of raving and ranting, LEARN TO READ