Multiple readyboost. Is that a good idea?

Indieboy

Multiple readyboost. Is that a good idea?
So I've read a lot of junk about Readyboost and I'm not sure what to believe.

There seems to be a whole clan of people saying Readyboost messes up your
machine and some which praises the preformance. What I would like to know is,
if I have 1GB of RAM and set up Readyboost on, not one but two Memory cards
(One is a 2GB Compact Flash card and the other is a 2GB SD card). Now what I
want to know is, is this going to speed up my Laptop or is it going to
destroy me?

I'm using a Sony Vaio VGN-N11H. I main use Photoshop CS3 and Premier Pro 2.
I want to speed up rendering time etc without having to fork out a load of
money for the RAM.

Any ideas?
Bob J

RE: Multiple readyboost. Is that a good idea?
Having two flash cards set up for readtboost is not a good idea, it will
cause conflict and confusion, disable (1). It is like having two page files
set up on the one HD, again not recommended.
Readyboost will give some relief to memory access, unfortunately the use of
additional RAM really is the best way to improve memory access.
If you are running a 32bit PC, adding more than 3GB RAM is of no benefit,
infact 32bit will not recognize more than 3gb RAM.
--
Regards
Bob J

"Indieboy" wrote:

> So I've read a lot of junk about Readyboost and I'm not sure what to believe.
>
> There seems to be a whole clan of people saying Readyboost messes up your
> machine and some which praises the preformance. What I would like to know is,
> if I have 1GB of RAM and set up Readyboost on, not one but two Memory cards
> (One is a 2GB Compact Flash card and the other is a 2GB SD card). Now what I
> want to know is, is this going to speed up my Laptop or is it going to
> destroy me?
>
> I'm using a Sony Vaio VGN-N11H. I main use Photoshop CS3 and Premier Pro 2.
> I want to speed up rendering time etc without having to fork out a load of
> money for the RAM.
>
> Any ideas?

Curious

Re: Multiple readyboost. Is that a good idea?
IndieBoy,
I have a desktop and a laptop both of which have 1GB of Ram I added a 2GB
ready boost USB flash drive to the desktop and a 2GB flash card to the
laptop. I got a significant boost on each system as documented by the
performance monitor. I never had to read from the paging file again any
paging file read request was always being fulfilled by the ready boost
drive
Also my boot time was reduced on both systems by ReadyBoost's tracking of my
initial system activity after boot and providing this info back to vista.
prior to readyboost commencing its normal function as a very fast cache for
the paging file.
I certainly would not attempt to install 2 ReadyBoosts on a system and don't
even think that both would be used in any case in addition to more then one
causing other problems
Using inexpensive Ready Boost was certainly less expensive then adding more
ram and uses less power on the laptop then more ram would.
I hear rumors of people having trouble with ready boost but I have never
seen an actual documented case.
I suspect that your rendering time problems are more dependent on your CPU
power and on your graphics card then it is on system ram and ready boost
would not help in reading a new photo into memory only more memory would
help that, however, it would help if the photo files approach a half gig or
better on your 1GB system.
"Bob J" <BobJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Having two flash cards set up for readtboost is not a good idea, it will
> cause conflict and confusion, disable (1). It is like having two page
> files
> set up on the one HD, again not recommended.
> Readyboost will give some relief to memory access, unfortunately the use
> of
> additional RAM really is the best way to improve memory access.
> If you are running a 32bit PC, adding more than 3GB RAM is of no benefit,
> infact 32bit will not recognize more than 3gb RAM.
> --
> Regards
> Bob J
> If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
> another source,post back & let us know.
> Then we all benefit.
>

> "Indieboy" wrote:
>
>> So I've read a lot of junk about Readyboost and I'm not sure what to
>> believe.
>>
>> There seems to be a whole clan of people saying Readyboost messes up your
>> machine and some which praises the preformance. What I would like to know
>> is,
>> if I have 1GB of RAM and set up Readyboost on, not one but two Memory
>> cards
>> (One is a 2GB Compact Flash card and the other is a 2GB SD card). Now
>> what I
>> want to know is, is this going to speed up my Laptop or is it going to
>> destroy me?
>>
>> I'm using a Sony Vaio VGN-N11H. I main use Photoshop CS3 and Premier Pro
>> 2.
>> I want to speed up rendering time etc without having to fork out a load
>> of
>> money for the RAM.
>>
>> Any ideas?

AJR

Re: Multiple readyboost. Is that a good idea?
Some info - first Vista 32 bit does support 4 gig of RAM - with 4 gig
instlled Vista indicates approx 3+ gig because it places one gig in a
"reserved" mode.

ReadyBoost functions as an adjunt to the paging file (Virtual memory) and
not RAM. It is only "active" during non-sequential HD read/writes -
sequential read/writes are directed to the HD (normal action).
Therefore performance boost depends on the type of read/write activity.
Also data sent to the ReadyBoost device is encrypted - safety device in case
the device is removed with data.

ReadyBoost device can be "safely" removed without loss of data since data
sent to the device is a "copy" (Getting confused?).

"Indieboy" <Indieboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So I've read a lot of junk about Readyboost and I'm not sure what to
> believe.
>
> There seems to be a whole clan of people saying Readyboost messes up your
> machine and some which praises the preformance. What I would like to know
> is,
> if I have 1GB of RAM and set up Readyboost on, not one but two Memory
> cards
> (One is a 2GB Compact Flash card and the other is a 2GB SD card). Now what
> want to know is, is this going to speed up my Laptop or is it going to
> destroy me?
>
> I'm using a Sony Vaio VGN-N11H. I main use Photoshop CS3 and Premier Pro
> 2.
> I want to speed up rendering time etc without having to fork out a load of
> money for the RAM.
>
> Any ideas?

JW

Re: Multiple readyboost. Is that a good idea?
Possibly there will be a single SP1 download containing both the 32 bit and
64 bit updates and the when SP1 is run on a system only the correct updates
will be installed on the system.