Uninstalling Office 97 from Windows Vista Home Premium

Glawster2002

Uninstalling Office 97 from Windows Vista Home Premium
I'm trying to install Office 2003 on a friends laptop, running vista Home
Premium, unfortunately office 97 has been inadvertently installed and is
proving very difficult to remove!

If I look in Programs and Features, Office 97 doesn't appear to be
installed, however all of the Office 97 applications are on the laptop and
work correctly, apart from Outlook.

If I run Office 2003 setup, the installation hangs on the Installation
Window no matter how I set the installation paremeters; even if I do a custom
install and only install one application, say Word, it till hangs.

Anyone any idea on how i can either uninstall Office 97 or to fool Vista in
to thinking it is no longer on the laptop to allow the Office 2003
installation to complete?
Brian

RE: Uninstalling Office 97 from Windows Vista Home Premium
Do you still have the Office 97 installation media? One thing I have done
when I improperly removed a program, by deleting files or editing registry by
accident was to re-install it and then uninstall the program.

"Glawster2002" wrote:

> I'm trying to install Office 2003 on a friends laptop, running vista Home
> Premium, unfortunately office 97 has been inadvertently installed and is
> proving very difficult to remove!
>
> If I look in Programs and Features, Office 97 doesn't appear to be
> installed, however all of the Office 97 applications are on the laptop and
> work correctly, apart from Outlook.
>
> If I run Office 2003 setup, the installation hangs on the Installation
> Window no matter how I set the installation paremeters; even if I do a custom
> install and only install one application, say Word, it till hangs.
>
> Anyone any idea on how i can either uninstall Office 97 or to fool Vista in
> to thinking it is no longer on the laptop to allow the Office 2003
> installation to complete?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Uninstalling Office 97 from Windows Vista Home Premium
In many cases, Brian, our suggestion of re-installing and then
un-installing, i by far the safest method; it i something I regularly
recommend when people are having problems uninstalling software.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org