XP upgarde to Vista Business

Ian M

XP upgarde to Vista Business
I want to 'clean' install Vista Business upgrade onto a new hard-drive, to
save time can this be done without me loading XP then upgrading it using the
clean install option. Similar to the way Office upgrades loaded a while back
where it just asked for the CD to be put in to verify you had the software.

If this question has already been answered can you point me to it, and
Sorry, but my searching didn't find it.

Regards Ian M

Glen Martin

Re: XP upgarde to Vista Business
Yes you can, but it will take the same amount of time to do it, but if you
would like to try, go to, (Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for windows) and lookup
"How to clean install Windows Vista with Upgrade Media...
"Ian M" <mail [at] igmservices [dot] com> wrote in message
>I want to 'clean' install Vista Business upgrade onto a new hard-drive, to
>save time can this be done without me loading XP then upgrading it using
>the clean install option. Similar to the way Office upgrades loaded a while
>back where it just asked for the CD to be put in to verify you had the
>software.
>
> If this question has already been answered can you point me to it, and
> Sorry, but my searching didn't find it.
>
> Regards Ian M

Rick Rogers

Re: XP upgarde to Vista Business
Hi Ian,

You're going to install twice either way. Either install XP and upgrade it,
or install Vista twice - once without the product key and once with. Unlike
previous versions of Windows, you no longer can simply show a shiny media
disk as proof of ownership of a qualifying operating system, it must
actually be installed and running. When you install Vista cleanly, the first
time don't enter the key and simply choose the correct version from the
list. Once completed, boot the installation and insert the upgrade disk and
start again, this time using the key when prompted.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org