Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Need help installing vista again... long story...

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2007
McDude
 

Posts: n/a
Need help installing vista again... long story...
ok, it started off when something had affected my computer and it just
wouldn't play any music files whatsoever... I then didn't know what to do, so
I just scrapped everything and I put in my windows installation cd and then I
just installed windows all over again. It was all good for about a month. I
kept getting a message saying that I had to activate it and whatnot, but I
just kept avoiding it... until today. I get on my computer, enter my account,
and then pops up this thing that say I have to activate my windows and look
for the product key... and I couldn't find the product key and then I tried
calling a 1-800-line for some help because it said I could to get my product
key, but then it said something like it was expired or whatever.... anyways,
long story short, I ended up finding my product key, I entered it, but then
it said that it's not compatible with the version of windows vista that I
installed. I guess I accidentally installed Windows Vista Basic N(?) instead
of just Windows Vista Basic? What do I do, I don't know how to uninstall the
windows and just undo my mistake! The only thing I can really do is access
some files and go online, but that's it. I inserted the Windows Vista disc
again, but it just says it's a blank disk? Any suggestions....?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2007
brink
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Need help installing vista again... long story...

McDude;531000 Wrote:
> ok, it started off when something had affected my computer and it just
> wouldn't play any music files whatsoever... I then didn't know what to
> do, so
> I just scrapped everything and I put in my windows installation cd and
> then I
> just installed windows all over again. It was all good for about a
> month. I
> kept getting a message saying that I had to activate it and whatnot,
> but I
> just kept avoiding it... until today. I get on my computer, enter my
> account,
> and then pops up this thing that say I have to activate my windows and
> look
> for the product key... and I couldn't find the product key and then I
> tried
> calling a 1-800-line for some help because it said I could to get my
> product
> key, but then it said something like it was expired or whatever....
> anyways,
> long story short, I ended up finding my product key, I entered it, but
> then
> it said that it's not compatible with the version of windows vista that
> I
> installed. I guess I accidentally installed Windows Vista Basic N(?)
> instead
> of just Windows Vista Basic? What do I do, I don't know how to
> uninstall the
> windows and just undo my mistake! The only thing I can really do is
> access
> some files and go online, but that's it. I inserted the Windows Vista
> disc
> again, but it just says it's a blank disk? Any suggestions....?


Hi McDude,

You are in what is called "Reduced Functionality Mode". Method Two in
this tutorial will show you how to get out of this and extend your trial
period for another 30 days. This way you can backup anything you do not
want to lose.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66990-activation.html


Since you installed the wrong Vista version, you will then need to
reinstall Vista to the version your product key is for by booting from
the Vista installation DVD. If you have a Upgrade version of Vista then
see:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...l-upgrade.html

Shawn


--
brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2007
McDude
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Need help installing vista again... long story...
Ok, this was all quite helpful, but when I got to the command prompt and
entered the lmgr -rearm, it said that I needed higher privelages to do that.
What do I do now? Oh and thanks for the help, even though it didn't really
pan out, it was really nice. ☺

"brink" wrote:

>
> McDude;531000 Wrote:
> > ok, it started off when something had affected my computer and it just
> > wouldn't play any music files whatsoever... I then didn't know what to
> > do, so
> > I just scrapped everything and I put in my windows installation cd and
> > then I
> > just installed windows all over again. It was all good for about a
> > month. I
> > kept getting a message saying that I had to activate it and whatnot,
> > but I
> > just kept avoiding it... until today. I get on my computer, enter my
> > account,
> > and then pops up this thing that say I have to activate my windows and
> > look
> > for the product key... and I couldn't find the product key and then I
> > tried
> > calling a 1-800-line for some help because it said I could to get my
> > product
> > key, but then it said something like it was expired or whatever....
> > anyways,
> > long story short, I ended up finding my product key, I entered it, but
> > then
> > it said that it's not compatible with the version of windows vista that
> > I
> > installed. I guess I accidentally installed Windows Vista Basic N(?)
> > instead
> > of just Windows Vista Basic? What do I do, I don't know how to
> > uninstall the
> > windows and just undo my mistake! The only thing I can really do is
> > access
> > some files and go online, but that's it. I inserted the Windows Vista
> > disc
> > again, but it just says it's a blank disk? Any suggestions....?

>
> Hi McDude,
>
> You are in what is called "Reduced Functionality Mode". Method Two in
> this tutorial will show you how to get out of this and extend your trial
> period for another 30 days. This way you can backup anything you do not
> want to lose.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66990-activation.html
>
>
> Since you installed the wrong Vista version, you will then need to
> reinstall Vista to the version your product key is for by booting from
> the Vista installation DVD. If you have a Upgrade version of Vista then
> see:
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...l-upgrade.html
>
> Shawn
>
>
> --
> brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")
> *Please post feedback to help others.*
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2007
brink
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Need help installing vista again... long story...

McDude;531499 Wrote:
> Ok, this was all quite helpful, but when I got to the command prompt and
> entered the lmgr -rearm, it said that I needed higher privelages to do
> that.
> What do I do now? Oh and thanks for the help, even though it didn't
> really
> pan out, it was really nice. ☺
> --------------------------------------------
> "brink" wrote:
> > Hi McDude,
> >
> > You are in what is called "Reduced Functionality Mode". Method Two in
> > this tutorial will show you how to get out of this and extend your

> trial
> > period for another 30 days. This way you can backup anything you do

> not
> > want to lose.
> >
> > 'Activation'

> (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66990-activation.html)
> >
> >
> > Since you installed the wrong Vista version, you will then need to
> > reinstall Vista to the version your product key is for by booting

> from
> > the Vista installation DVD. If you have a Upgrade version of Vista

> then
> > see:
> >
> > 'Clean Install From Upgrade'

> (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...l-upgrade.html)
> >
> > Shawn

>


McDude

You just need to right click on CMD and click "Run as administrator" to
get the elevated privileges.

Shawn


--
brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2007
Mr. Arnold
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Need help installing vista again... long story...

"McDude" <McDude@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:EEDBBE4E-ED28-4AA8-A529-E4500C54FBF2@microsoft.com...
> Ok, this was all quite helpful, but when I got to the command prompt and
> entered the lmgr -rearm, it said that I needed higher privelages to do
> that.
> What do I do now? Oh and thanks for the help, even though it didn't really
> pan out, it was really nice. ☺
>


You use the Start button/All Programs/Accessories and find the Command
Prompt line, right-click the line and do Run as Administrator.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2007
McDude
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Need help installing vista again... long story...
Ahh, awesome... I totally skipped over that part the 1st time I did it.
Thanks for the help, much appreciated! It works now and now I gotta do the
whole rest of the part, thanks!

"brink" wrote:

>
> McDude;531499 Wrote:
> > Ok, this was all quite helpful, but when I got to the command prompt and
> > entered the lmgr -rearm, it said that I needed higher privelages to do
> > that.
> > What do I do now? Oh and thanks for the help, even though it didn't
> > really
> > pan out, it was really nice. ☺
> > --------------------------------------------
> > "brink" wrote:
> > > Hi McDude,
> > >
> > > You are in what is called "Reduced Functionality Mode". Method Two in
> > > this tutorial will show you how to get out of this and extend your

> > trial
> > > period for another 30 days. This way you can backup anything you do

> > not
> > > want to lose.
> > >
> > > 'Activation'

> > (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66990-activation.html)
> > >
> > >
> > > Since you installed the wrong Vista version, you will then need to
> > > reinstall Vista to the version your product key is for by booting

> > from
> > > the Vista installation DVD. If you have a Upgrade version of Vista

> > then
> > > see:
> > >
> > > 'Clean Install From Upgrade'

> > (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...l-upgrade.html)
> > >
> > > Shawn

> >

>
> McDude
>
> You just need to right click on CMD and click "Run as administrator" to
> get the elevated privileges.
>
> Shawn
>
>
> --
> brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")
> *Please post feedback to help others.*
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2007
brink
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Need help installing vista again... long story...

McDude;531948 Wrote:
> Ahh, awesome... I totally skipped over that part the 1st time I did it.
> Thanks for the help, much appreciated! It works now and now I gotta do
> the
> whole rest of the part, thanks!
> -----------------------------
> "brink" wrote:
> > McDude
> >
> > You just need to right click on CMD and click "Run as administrator"

> to
> > get the elevated privileges.
> >
> > Shawn

>


Your welcome McDude,

Glad it is working now.


--
brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
maple story,maple story mesos,rf online dzhdiv6 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 06-19-2008 16:40
Vista takes a long time from start to long in on SBS2003 network...... mlai microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 9 12-04-2007 09:10
Installing applications - long pause Fishyweb microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 09-18-2007 23:00
Installing Vista Ultimate Horror Story Albert microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 07-04-2007 20:14
setting flags takes a long long time Antonio Amengual microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 2 05-07-2007 10:51




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:13.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120